Dragonfly Trail

Dragonfly Trail is a 3.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Arenas Valley, New Mexico that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.4 miles Elevation Gain: 226 feet Route Type: Loop

There are many trails within this area. The Gila National Forest also has a nice trail information page, along with a downloadable PDF map of the area. Hike the more traveled trail to the right, and in about 200 yards the trail forks to make the well-marked 3.5 mile Dragonfly loop. There are several nice petroglyphs in the rocks halfway, indicated by an arrow on a wordless sign. Arenas Valley Road is a short loop, so it is possible to continue along it back to US 180 as you turn to Silver City.

Really pretty it’s really long though pretty rocky in a lot of places a lot of wild life

Easy and beautiful. A good connector to the champion tree too.

This is a short and easy loop, but among the most beautiful trails I’ve hiked. The vistas of grassland, pine, and juniper with the mountain backdrop are breathtaking. Added bonuses include wildflowers and wildlife, small creeks with riparian trees, and of course that petroglyph. Do not miss this if you are staying in Silver City. Even serious hikers will enjoy!

This is a great hike for the winter months. We can see how it wouldn’t provide much shade in the middle of the summer. It is a nice loop that gives you some great scenery and a view of the mountains. The petroglyphs were a fun little surprise at about the half way point. We recommend starting to the left to get the best views of the mountains on the way out.

Easy trail! Take sun protection.

Nice

Very nice hike for all ages , better during cooler months or overcast days because of lack of shade

It's a good beginner trail. Or pleasure style of trail. Very flat with minimal sights of much. I did enjoy the loop, and not having to walk the same trail back. The trail took about 45 minutes for me. Overall very well maintained and great for someone who doesn't want to spend all day walking.

Wednesday, July 11, 2018

This is a nice trail but beware of the very aggressive wasps as you get close to the river bed. My son and I both got stung just walking by their hive in the rocks near the trail.

Thursday, May 17, 2018

Easy to find. A sign off Hwy 180 directs you to Arenas Valley Road. This road is paved for mile or so. When the pavement ends, you can see the parking lot for the trailhead. A generous lot for hikers/bikers & a separate lot for horses. Loved this trail! Scenic with mountains & desert. Easy trail until you start following the creek, then a little rocky. The petroglyphs were cool. Climb the trail into the rocks to see the dragonfly.

Sunday, February 04, 2018

Very good trail for a beginner, well marked and well maintained.

Tuesday, November 07, 2017

We went during the fall and the leaves on the trees near the stream were breath taking. It takes a little while to get out to that area but its peaceful and we didn’t run in to any other hikers even though there were around five other vehicles parked at the trail head when we arrived. I think if the sun had been out partially the hike would have been more vibrant and interesting. We hiked on a cloudy overcast day in the morning. We did see some deer. I might go hike it again in the summer so maybe we can see some dragon flies.

Saturday, October 21, 2017

Beautiful easy trail.

Monday, September 11, 2017

A must do!

Sunday, September 10, 2017

For me this hike took 1:40 minutes. I met a couple on trail and woman w/2 dogs, one on leash, another off. I have been on this trail twice before but never completed the loop because I did not know what to expect. With Alltrails I know now what to expect on a trail.

Sunday, July 30, 2017

Very nice parcial shade nice petroglyphs

Thursday, June 01, 2017

Flat well maintained trail network. You can extend the loop by starting left at fork: Cervis Corral to twin sisters then dragonfly. About 6 miles ( I didn't take gps).

Sunday, May 28, 2017

Beautiful ride! A bit more moderate on about 30% of the trail.

Monday, April 03, 2017

Really great hiking area, cool dragonfly trailhead and located in beautiful and relaxing exciting silver city, New Mexico!!! I have been here with friends over 5 times and it's relaxing and great every time! Dog friendly ;)

Sunday, August 21, 2016

Nice long walk with petroglyphs along the canyon. Dragonflies at the waterhole chasing around so worth the trip. Beautiful and peaceful when I went thru but with bikes maybe not ;0)

Sunday, August 14, 2016

So pretty!

Sunday, June 05, 2016

When you start out, if you take the left fork, when you go past the rock wall on your right you'll come up to a fork in the path, take the right side, even though the left side looks more travelled...take the right. There wasn't a sign telling which path to take, so we took the left side, and eventually abandoned it after it seemed it was going the wrong way, and there weren't any signs or markers on it. Anyhow, we got back on track by traversing a little hill. My little ones had fun. We went on June 20-16. ZERO water in the river beds, ZERO insects, ZERO wildlife. All in all, we'd do it again :)

Monday, April 06, 2015

Awesome little trail that winds through cactus and rare trees seldom seen in thus part of AZ in a lush green Valley. The trail hugs a little creek and there are several crossings. Great for walking the dogs. Just bring bug spray.

Thursday, October 02, 2014

Moderate, easy hiking trail. My favorite time to hike to hike this trail is fall and winter. It is not great on sunny (little shade) or windy days (not much to break the wind.)

Tuesday, September 02, 2014

Nice relatively flat easy trail. There are a bunch of connecting trails at this location. There's a small pond and a creek which was relatively dry during the time we hiked it.