Dragonfly Trail

Dragonfly Trail is a 3.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Arenas Valley, New Mexico that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

There are many trails within this area. The Gila National Forest also has a nice trail information page, along with a downloadable PDF map of the area. Hike the more traveled trail to the right, and in about 200 yards the trail forks to make the well-marked 3.5 mile Dragonfly loop. There are several nice petroglyphs in the rocks halfway, indicated by an arrow on a wordless sign. Arenas Valley Road is a short loop, so it is possible to continue along it back to US 180 as you turn to Silver City.

We went during the fall and the leaves on the trees near the stream were breath taking. It takes a little while to get out to that area but its peaceful and we didn’t run in to any other hikers even though there were around five other vehicles parked at the trail head when we arrived. I think if the sun had been out partially the hike would have been more vibrant and interesting. We hiked on a cloudy overcast day in the morning. We did see some deer. I might go hike it again in the summer so maybe we can see some dragon flies.

Beautiful easy trail.

A must do!

For me this hike took 1:40 minutes. I met a couple on trail and woman w/2 dogs, one on leash, another off. I have been on this trail twice before but never completed the loop because I did not know what to expect. With Alltrails I know now what to expect on a trail.

Very nice parcial shade nice petroglyphs

Flat well maintained trail network. You can extend the loop by starting left at fork: Cervis Corral to twin sisters then dragonfly. About 6 miles ( I didn't take gps).

Beautiful ride! A bit more moderate on about 30% of the trail.

Really great hiking area, cool dragonfly trailhead and located in beautiful and relaxing exciting silver city, New Mexico!!! I have been here with friends over 5 times and it's relaxing and great every time! Dog friendly ;)

Sunday, August 21, 2016

Nice long walk with petroglyphs along the canyon. Dragonflies at the waterhole chasing around so worth the trip. Beautiful and peaceful when I went thru but with bikes maybe not ;0)

Sunday, August 14, 2016

So pretty!

Sunday, June 05, 2016

When you start out, if you take the left fork, when you go past the rock wall on your right you'll come up to a fork in the path, take the right side, even though the left side looks more travelled...take the right. There wasn't a sign telling which path to take, so we took the left side, and eventually abandoned it after it seemed it was going the wrong way, and there weren't any signs or markers on it. Anyhow, we got back on track by traversing a little hill. My little ones had fun. We went on June 20-16. ZERO water in the river beds, ZERO insects, ZERO wildlife. All in all, we'd do it again :)

Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Monday, April 06, 2015

Awesome little trail that winds through cactus and rare trees seldom seen in thus part of AZ in a lush green Valley. The trail hugs a little creek and there are several crossings. Great for walking the dogs. Just bring bug spray.

Thursday, October 02, 2014

Moderate, easy hiking trail. My favorite time to hike to hike this trail is fall and winter. It is not great on sunny (little shade) or windy days (not much to break the wind.)