Domingo Baca Trail #230

Domingo Baca Trail #230 is a 7.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Albuquerque, New Mexico that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This hike starts out in a desert open space environment (no shade) and changes into the lush greenery and streams in the Sandia Mountains. Starting at the Domingo Baca trail, you can continue along this route to the site of the wreckage of a TWA flight which crashed in 1955 high in the mountains.

Definitely a challenging but rewarding hike! A lot of climbing and steep elevation near the crash site, but worth it!

Wonderful/ beautiful hike, very steep towards the end of the hike. Continuing past the crash site will take you to the top of the La Luz. Would highly recommend.

This was hands down one of my favorite hikes that I have done in the Albuquerque area. The hike is challenging, but you feel so rewarded when completed. Looking up above and seeing the Tram was really surreal! The TWA plane crash stretches up the mountain at the end of the hike for quite a ways...It is very sad, but also very interesting. Take lots of snacks and water!

Excellent hike with beautiful scenery but definitely challenging. There are a lot of vertical and rocky climbs where the trail is moderately technical and just plain rough. Be sure to bring plenty of water and snacks for the extra energy to finish!

Hammer time with a memorable finish. This trail has a great mix of open space, foothills, tight woodsy sections, great views and incredible location. It's an odd hike in that you never really summit anything but still get a solid hike. I kept a solid pace and I think it took me about 2 hours to reach the TWA crash. For reference, the memorial is just below the tram cables.

A challenging hike up to the TWA wreckage. Lots of water in the stream with some ice. Definitely cold in the shade, so bundle up if you are hiking in wintertime!

An easy start followed by increasingly narrow and difficult terrain, but worth the effort for the view and lack of congestion.

Beautiful views, follows a ravine, well shaded in the forest. The first few miles are a slow descent but quickly turns into a steep scramble during the last half mile.

great hike, but can be difficult to stay on the trail as it is not that well marked in some spots.

excellent condition, not too many people on the trail today. ......but non the less perfect!hiked it nonstop

I did this trail alone and was able to find the crash site. However, I would not recommend doing this alone if you don't have a map or gps device as the trail gets difficult to follow towards the top. The trail gets steep but the climb is worth it!

This is a tough trail to follow. there are many spur trail that go for 100s of yard and then end. Best to attempt this with someone that knows the trail.

My son and I hiked this trail yesterday and it was amazing. However, this being our first hike of the year, many years actually, it was physically brutal. I would suggest a little conditioning before attempting this one. Still, no regrets. A great and humbling hike.

Not for the faint of heart.......
The terrain is steep and the granite can be very slick. The trail dead ends several thousand feet past the TWA wreckage site.
The trail starts out very easy, but becomes technical when you reach the stream bed. The trail leading up to the crash site is steep and covered by dense vegetation.

Had a great time with my boys. Tough trail but well worth the views and time together.

Long hike. Needs to prepare and start early. Fun for my first hike with my boys.

This trail definitely deserves the hard rating, but the views, even without the wreckage, are absolutely worth it. The wreck was very surreal and interesting. We took lots of water and snack breaks and made a day out of it.

Hiked to Sandia Tram Tower 2. The hike to the dome from the lower stream bed is basically straight up to the north, winding in and around the cactus and rocks, very doable. Once you are near the dome angle up to the right, you will make the final approach to the top from the second crease on the east side of the dome.

It is a awesome trial for 10+ages

This is a great hike and the descriptions of it on All Trails were spot on. I'm a decently in-shape guy from the Midwest and this terrain and the altitude were a tough challenge, so I for sure agree with the "hard" rating. I was pretty wiped and I got a late start in the day so I turned back downhill maybe at about the 3/4 mark, when I found the TWA flight 260 wreckage. For reference, this is just about where the trail is directly under the tramway cables. Awesome views, cool terrain; I saw lots of lizards, birds, and yes, one giant Diamondback Rattle snake, so be careful! I did get a little off track a couple times but unopened the All Trails app and was able to see where I went wrong and got back on track. If you get lost, backtrack a little and check the app/map. Don't start too late in the day, I got rained on a little right at the end of my hike. I definitely recommend this trail!