Domingo Baca Trail #230

Domingo Baca Trail #230 is a 7.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Albuquerque, New Mexico that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This hike starts out in a desert open space environment (no shade) and changes into the lush greenery and streams in the Sandia Mountains. Starting at the Domingo Baca trail, you can continue along this route to the site of the wreckage of a TWA flight which crashed in 1955 high in the mountains.

It is a awesome trial for 10+ages

This is a great hike and the descriptions of it on All Trails were spot on. I'm a decently in-shape guy from the Midwest and this terrain and the altitude were a tough challenge, so I for sure agree with the "hard" rating. I was pretty wiped and I got a late start in the day so I turned back downhill maybe at about the 3/4 mark, when I found the TWA flight 260 wreckage. For reference, this is just about where the trail is directly under the tramway cables. Awesome views, cool terrain; I saw lots of lizards, birds, and yes, one giant Diamondback Rattle snake, so be careful! I did get a little off track a couple times but unopened the All Trails app and was able to see where I went wrong and got back on track. If you get lost, backtrack a little and check the app/map. Don't start too late in the day, I got rained on a little right at the end of my hike. I definitely recommend this trail!

A great hike. If your going in the summer months, get an early start. The gate opens around 6 am. The hike was made better by getting to see a 4 foot Western Diamondback. Yes. They are up there so watch your step. Getting to and seeing the crash site was surreal. A really good day in the Sandias.

There's a few splits in the trail, but it's pretty easy to follow, especially if you stick to the stream. A few parts were a little difficult but well worth the hike (: this trail definitely isn't that busy, only ran into one other person on the way up!

great trail, some say its difficult to follow but we didn't have a problem. it is difficult to climb but well worth it.