Dog Canyon Trail 106

Dog Canyon Trail 106 is a 10.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Alamogordo, New Mexico that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from September until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

We did this trail back in Feburary and it is easily one of the best hikes ive done. We drove in to the top of the mountain using backroads and left another car at the bottom. Even though we only did a straight through hike, it is still very challenging

Thanks to the douche bag who spray painted up there.

Ok let me start off in saying this was a awesome hike with great view of the valley and white sands once your up. That said it is a difficult hike you go up probably a 1000ft to the plateau which is about 2.5 to 3.0 in the next like 2250ft climb is gonna be done in about a mile and a half along a drop off with loose rocks so if your just and every day nature hiker and your dying bye the plateau turn around. For views the plateau is a good spot and I would say about four miles up invest your out of the canyon and about 5 and a quarter there is a big rock that will be on your side that's a good view. Take plenty of water let me say that again take plenty of water and I would recommend a snack. Other then that amazing hike.

Only went up to the first plateau as we had a 30lb little one with us. Views were still gorgeous. Plan to come back and complete the entire trail

i'm out of shape. only made it 2 miles in. the views were great. the blooms were beautiful. and the trail was challenging. hopefully next time i can get to the top. :)

Me and my daughter hike this, some parts a little hard but overall moderate.

very hard in some aeras

it was beautiful, the fog made it extra majestic!

Awesome hike! First mile is a big challenge, use walking sticks.

This is not an "extremely difficult" trail. Well, at least the first 3.25 miles HA HA. There is about a 2.6k ft elevation gain in the first 3 miles but there are some good flat spots and scenic stops to keep your motivation up. The trails are marked well and the views of the canyon and to the S/SW are amazing. I'll definitely be going up here to camp and look at the stars soon. Absolutely recommend.

Trail was fairly challenging. The elbow can make you a little nervous. So if you think the first mile is tough be sure to turn around before the elbow. Did the whole trail + went to the high peak for an overlook of white sands in 9 hours. Start early, bring lots of water, food, and I recommend walking sticks. Loved this trail!

Friday, April 29, 2016

Amazing view. Decently challenging if you all the way up then down. We didn't see wildlife other than a hummingbird and some lizards. Lots of mule deer skat though. We did come across cougar and coyote skat as well. Will be coming back guaranteed.

Saturday, April 23, 2016

Okay, I did it a bit differently. I mountain biked from Sunspot down to Dog Canyon. Like other reviews, the views are beautiful and bring plenty of water. The hike or bike will take on much more meaning if you read some of the history of the canyon beforehand to include Apache and Calvary chases, Old Frenchy and such. Keep your eyes out for mule deer above you and rattlesnakes below your feet. Be ready for large temperature changes going up or down!

Wednesday, February 03, 2016

Very beautiful hiking! We left at 9h30 on a fresh sunny day of january 31st. Coming from France we loved hiking among cactus, yuccas and massive cliffs. The only disappointment is there was no water in the canyon at that dry period so we missed the waterfalls. Tough luck! We extended our trail up to Joplin Ridge at 7700ft for an extra 45 minutes walking out and back but offering us a magnificent view on the plain from Orogrande to Tularosa via White Sands. Splendid landscape! We made that trail in 5h30 but running on the way back.

Friday, January 22, 2016

I loved this hike. One of the best day hikes I've done. Incredible scenery both in the canyon and out across the Basin. Views for miles. The canyon walls are stunning in their color and size. Love how the hike crosses different landscapes (including meadows) and you end up on top of the canyon walls. It's tough, they're not joking when they say 3000 feet up, but anyone with decent fitness should be OK. Recommend doing it in winter (it was actually cold at the top) if there is little snow on the ground. The last 2 miles is the really steep stuff but the track is in good condition. Brilliant place to explore.