Diablo Canyon

Diablo Canyon is a 4.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near White Rock, New Mexico that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from November until April. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

My beagles and I visit the canyon at least twice a month, all seasons. Exiting the canyon, crossing the boulder fields opens to a sandy arroyo which ends at the river. Dogs run free. Take a break in the junipers. Stop, look, and explore. Four easy hours in and out.

Perfect hike for my dog and I! Super easy and flat, great to run sprints or meander along - my dog loves to swim so getting to the river was big fun! This would be a great hike to take visiting friends who aren’t big hikers or used to the elevation - I don’t mind the drive in at all, drive fast and it’s a lot of fun!

The first section of this hike is the best. I wouldn't bother going to the end unless you actually have to see the water. the rest of it is really only good for rock hunting because there isn't anywhere to sit and relax at the water unless you get in it.

This hike provides decent scenery at times of the year when you can't see as much in the mountains. The actual canyon in not very long, but you can lengthen the hike by going to the river. It's also fairly close to town and not as heavily used as trails in the mountains. However, there is no maintained trail, and that can make it a little more difficult at times. Watch out for flash flooding in the summer.

Not a bad hike, don't see how it's rated moderate. This trail is very easy. The last seven miles of road are horribly washboards. Start filming for a movie 7-18-17 so check availability before you go.

Great views. Easy hike in most places.

Had so much fun hiking this Canyon! A nice change from your average hiking trail. And the dogs loved when we reached the end and got to swim around in the river! Def will be doing this one again soon!! :)

Easy hike on sand and rocks. Great for all ages and skill level.

This is A great trail for a hike with the kids and dogs. Hiking (walking) through a lot of silt but otherwise very easy to do. We did this hike in January and the temperature was perfect. Probably would be difficult in Midsummer. Interesting rock features to view.

Easy hike and beautiful views. The only annoyance was the massive amount of horse and dog poop on the trail. It would be nice if people would pick up after their animals...STILL a great stroll through the canyon.

Friday, November 04, 2016

Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Hugh

Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Had I met the Devil while meandering through this beautiful formation of basalt, I first would have been shocked by an apparent lack of empathy and wisdom then curious enough to ask a question.
"Why would a canyon so wondrous in form be named for you, one so ugly inside and so beautiful upon the surface?"
To which the Devil would reply.
"Why shouldn't it be, humanity often accepts me in this form and calls me good."
After a moment of perplexity passes I gather my wisdom and reply, "though not I, for the beauty most compelling, I found inside the canyon while laying upon the smooth surface of truth and looking upon the complexity of its hidden face."

Thursday, April 21, 2016