Diablo Canyon

Diablo Canyon is a 6.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Buckman, New Mexico that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, rock climbing, camping, and horses and is best used from November until April. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

Had so much fun hiking this Canyon! A nice change from your average hiking trail. And the dogs loved when we reached the end and got to swim around in the river! Def will be doing this one again soon!! :)

Easy hike on sand and rocks. Great for all ages and skill level.

This is A great trail for a hike with the kids and dogs. Hiking (walking) through a lot of silt but otherwise very easy to do. We did this hike in January and the temperature was perfect. Probably would be difficult in Midsummer. Interesting rock features to view.

Easy hike and beautiful views. The only annoyance was the massive amount of horse and dog poop on the trail. It would be nice if people would pick up after their animals...STILL a great stroll through the canyon.

Hugh

Had I met the Devil while meandering through this beautiful formation of basalt, I first would have been shocked by an apparent lack of empathy and wisdom then curious enough to ask a question.
"Why would a canyon so wondrous in form be named for you, one so ugly inside and so beautiful upon the surface?"
To which the Devil would reply.
"Why shouldn't it be, humanity often accepts me in this form and calls me good."
After a moment of perplexity passes I gather my wisdom and reply, "though not I, for the beauty most compelling, I found inside the canyon while laying upon the smooth surface of truth and looking upon the complexity of its hidden face."