Devisadero Peak Trail

Devisadero Peak Trail is a 4.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Taos, New Mexico that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Devisadero Trail offers sweeping views of the valley below. There are sections that are quite technical, and some that are smooth and fast. If you ride Devisadero, you are going to climb climb climb!

Great hike today. Beautiful views

Fun hiking trail! It is on the sunny side of the mountain, so it’s warmer on winter days than trail 164 which is shady and cooler in the AM. The trail is wide and mostly dirt and rocks.

Nice trail, difficult if you're not used to the elevation. Don't underestimate it if you're from the lowlands!! Nice trail, not real well marked though - we had some confusing spots so be careful. The Summit was a little underwhelming - you have to go to the edges for vistas. And make sure to not step on the prickly pears - they're prickly.

Hiked with my dog - nice trail with wonderful views. Took 1:45 to get up - with a few stops and about 45m to get down. Was cold when we started - 31degrees- but the sun came out toward the end. Saw only birds, but a LOT of different skat so I’m sure there are plenty of other animals there :)

Great views of Taos. Chairs to sit in at the top!
Had trouble figuring out the loop. We just came back the way we started once we reached the peak.

Great trail, not too difficult, with some good views in places. I really liked he "lounge chairs" made of rocks on the summit!

Nice hike with scenic views. A good workout.

Love love loved it. Beautiful and challenging enough and once up on the peak you get rewarded with benches to rest. Will do it again

Completed on July 15, 2017. Great trail but damn this map is useless if you want to do the loop. And of course you do! We went right at the fork. Very few "markers," usually just a stake in the ground, but the trail is pretty easy to follow. Well-traveled enough that you can make out sneaker prints here and there and know you're on the right track. Lots of uphill, rocky terrain and switchbacks. You'll think you're at the top at least 3 or 4 times. You're not at the peak until you see the stone thrones and the sign announcing the 8,304 ft. elevation. The way down is completely different, feels like a stroll through the forest. Although I'm sorry to say, there will still be a few brief uphill climbs even as you go down. Took us 3.5 hours to complete, but it was midday and hot, and we took several breaks and ate near the peak. Although I would agree that this trail is in the moderate category, I would also say it's closer to the hard end of the scale. Maybe it's easier earlier in the day. Saw around 3-4 other couples. We were all alone when we reached the peak and free to enjoy the view all to ourselves. All in all, incredibly rewarding climb!

Wonderful hike.

Loved this hike & views!

Took a left at the fork to make a full loop coming down the front of the mountain.

breathtaking views. Be prepared for a steep climb and many switch backs. the trail is longer than what is listed on Alltrails. They should include the loop in the description and map. It needs updating. stunning views of mountains and taos valley.

great hike. Elevation hard to adjust if not use to. Beautiful scenery.

Friday, December 30, 2016

Great day and great trail. Expected more snow but trail was in great shape in all areas. Recommend this trail.

Monday, December 05, 2016

Easy access and beautiful views.

Thursday, October 27, 2016

We hiked this 6 mile loop and loved every minute of it. It is a bit of work out for not too bad for some fit 60 year olds. The views on the way up are stunning. Got to meet a local with his son and grandson, such a great thing for a family to do! If you are in the area I would highly recommend this one!

Sunday, September 11, 2016

The trail starts from the road and begins climbing steeply right away. I did this trail as a loop. I turned right at the signpost giving me the option of left or right, about a half mile up the trail. I stopped periodically to catch my breath and take some photos. There are several false peaks before you get to the top where you'll find the stone thrones. You have to walk away from there to see the view. I continued on the path in front of the "chairs" to make the loop. I expected it to be all downhill from there and planned to run it. I was wrong! You have to do quite a bit of climbing up and down canyons to get back down that way. I did this hike on September 11 and only ran into 6 other hikers and one cyclist - a couple of locals and a couple of visitors like me. Total hiking time was 2 hours, 10 minutes not counting stops to chat and take photos.

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Great morning hike good views of Taos

Saturday, July 23, 2016