Devisadero Loop Trail

Devisadero Loop Trail is a 5.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Taos, New Mexico that features a great forest setting. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking and trail running. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

It's nice forest, and OK views. But because of the proximity to town and roads, there's road noise for at least 2/3 of the hike. We went clockwise on the loop, which made this the easy side of a moderate hike. We were glad we did, because the steeper side is in direct sun, with no shade. I don't think I'd do this hike again, there are too many trails to explore!

Great hike right outside of Taos! We had limited time in town, so we camped near the trail and it’s right as you enter the forest. Not super crowded, but lots of locals use it as their morning workout. If you take the “peak” trail, it’s more direct up hill but quicker. The loop, this map, is the trail that bears LEFT at the first fork in the road, about .75 miles into the hike. Adds .8 miles but more gradual incline and shaded areas on the way up. Views of Taos and the mountains are STELLAR and we loved the different terrain you encounter.

Great hike. In from Ohio and was just the right distance. We did the loop trail.

We have a family house in Taos, and do hikes here every time we go. It’s great by itself, I only give it 3 stars because I know what the larger Sangre De Cristos hold just 45 minutes away. Don’t let that deter you from this hike though. Good little starter. Don’t go too late in the day during rainy season though...one of the scariest things I’ve ever done.

Trails are open again!

I got into town as the clouds were ready to burst. I waited out the storm but took off two hours before sunset. The loop took me 2:20 hours. I did it clockwise. Great vistas all around. The rock slab chairs have been restored at the peak. My dogs were able to drink water from a few shallow pools in the rocks along the way. The trailhead parking lot was still crowded when I returned to my truck.

Nice trail. Well maintained and marked. They removed the “thrones” at the peak which was sad.

Perfect little workout. About three hours if you stop a little. Take water.

This is one of my favorite hikes in Taos. It is a wonderful morning hike, challenging but reasonable. It offers scenic views, diverse terrain including beautiful alpine woods at higher elevations and open panoramic sagebrush and cactus in lower areas. There are gorgeous flowers and plants in abundance.

Loved it! Took us about 3 hours to do the loop! We stopped to enjoy the scenery and there is a nice, relaxing surprise at the top. The trail seems frequented by mostly locals-all very friendly!

A wonderful taste of this area at this elevation. Beautiful trail with many overlooks.

This Trail is great for hiking, and the views are amazing. But I would not consider it a good trail for running on. There was too much large loose rock, ice, and many many switchbacks to make it comfortable for running. I was able to maintain a light jog through most of it.

Great hike! Beautiful views. Took us about 4 hours with random rest stops.

Great trail! Really sunny day and only had snow in the shade. Dogs also love it!

We are new to hiking. This is the longest we've hiked and it was amazing! Not much traffic. Great workout!

Saturday, July 22, 2017

I like this hike for the workout, but it does not compare to the hikes up in he proper mountains just down the road. Def feels like what you think of when hiking the Southwest though

Wednesday, July 12, 2017

took us 3 hours, but my husband is missing half a lung and has asthma. Easiest to hike clockwise in the loop.

Thursday, June 29, 2017

Great trail. Super views.

Monday, June 26, 2017

Nice trail. Took roughly 2 hours for me. Saw a pack of dogs up there. They didn't look like coyotes or wolves. Kinda strange.