Deadman Canyon Loop Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(34)
Lincoln National Forest

Deadman Canyon Loop Trail is a 2.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Cloudcroft, New Mexico that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.9 miles Elevation Gain: 236 feet Route Type: Loop

Trail begins on a road and curves to a nicely kept grassy path. We encountered a couple downed trees, but nothing that couldn’t be stepped over or routed around close to the trail. Still had some small patches of snow. Nice and tucked away, easy access for a camp spot (rv or tent).

We hiked this trail in late June. Not a cloud in the sky yet it remained 70 degrees perfect. Once we found the trail it was great besides walking in the road. The dog did proclaim that there was limited shade. So bring water for your fluffers and doggos.

Thu May 18 2017

Mid May 2017. As Zeke said, better watch where you're going... no signs... fantastic, easy walk down an old service road that loops around the hill. Saw several elk and a coyote going after a ground squirrel. Very isolated defiantly off the beaten path... highly recommended. Going again tomorrow!

Sat Apr 15 2017

Very nice trail and easy to follow. This was more easy than moderate. Saw an elk dart across the trail which was exciting. It was very green this time of year and temperatures were perfect for hiking. Very dog friendly trail. Our dogs had a great time.

Sat Oct 15 2016

This is a nice walk, not too long or steep. We walked the entire loop on a Friday in October and saw no other hikers. Good views of Aspen and Pine trees. Also, we saw a few turkey. The trail is simply an old road that has had motorized traffic removed. Be sure you now where you are going, the start of the trail has NO Sign!

Thu Oct 22 2015

I've done this one twice, with widely varying weather conditions; the latest was when it was rainy, with a high of 53*F. I love the aspens and mix of scenery up at Bluff Springs. There's also a good amount of elevation gained. I wouldn't say this is my favorite trail in the Lincoln National Forest (that still goes to the Rim Trail for me), but it will soothe any need for being in the mountains, as I had. A big drawback is that a lot of this trail is two grooves dug out by vehicles, with large rocks over those grooves—makes it easy to twist an ankle. We were there on a muddy day, which meant avoiding those rocks meant walking through mud. At the beginning, we had to cross over a stream coming down the side of the mountain (not on the bluff), which we managed to get our feet sopping wet in. One really cool (and terrifying) thing was that we came across tracks which we took pictures of; based on the size and shape, it looks like it may have been a mountain lion. All of this sounds kind of negative, but it was actually a beautiful hike, and I recommend it to people who don't have weak ankles!

Sat Sep 26 2015

Absolutely beautiful trail. There's a 10 meter tall waterfall approximately 50 meters from the parking area. A couple hundred meters beyond that is bluff spring itself, which is little bigger than a post hole in the ground. It does create a quite stunning year-round stream through a very pastoral clearing however. AllTrails lists it as a 5 mile out and back, but you can really see the major sights within a half mile of the parking area. AllTrails also lists the trail head a ways from the actual location. Pick up a map from the Cloudcroft Ranger station and it'll take you right to it.

Wed Jul 29 2015

6Yukuolk4lvhey 6o9I'll gt9iikoookoy

Mon Jun 15 2015

Beautiful!!!

Tue Feb 17 2015

One of my favorite childhood memory is here! It's a stop I always make time for no matter the weather!

Thu Aug 28 2014

A gorgeous place - scenery reminiscent of the Adirondacks. We hiked for about 2 miles total, up the steps by the waterfall, up the hill beyond the meadow the waterfall runs out of, and then east along a fence line. After a bit we broke back across another meadow and picked up the Willie White trail to come back to the waterfall. Our favorite spot was a little march full of Sacramento Mountain Thistles, which were swarming with Hummingbird Moths and butterflies. FYI - at the time of this writing the trail map which is displayed for this trail is nowhere near the right place.

Mon Mar 24 2014

Beautiful scenery on this trail. My wife and I were the only ones out here today and the forest was serene and quiet, with the exception of a noisy woodpecker. We also stumbled upon a pack of deer south of the trail. The waterfall and campgrounds lie just northeast of the trail which we will check out on the next trip.

Fri Feb 21 2014

Beautiful water spot during wet years. (Can't remember the last one of those.) Very popular and usually crowded. For hiking in same area we suggest Willie White Canyon.

Sun Oct 13 2013

Gorgeous fall colors!

Fri Aug 30 2013

Gr8 area, beautiful w all this rain we've had...wonderful being I the outdoors :j

Wed Jun 19 2013

We love this trail for the waterfalls part of it. We have just gone to the top of the falls and walk around on top. We went today again and the falls wasn't running so much today. From Cloudcroft take the road to Sunspot about 8 miles. You'll then seen the signs to Bluff Springs 4 miles. You can take your car down the because the pavement ends. You'll see cattle grazing along the side of the road. The trailhead has a bathroom, so no worries there. And we took our kids there about 15 years ago and they had a blast, getting wet. Have fun.

recorded Deadman Canyon Loop Trail