Cimarron Canyon: Cimarron to Eagle Nest Scenic Drive

Cimarron Canyon: Cimarron to Eagle Nest Scenic Drive is a 23.8 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Cimarron, New Mexico that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for scenic driving and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 23.8 miles Elevation Gain: 2,227 feet Route Type: Point to Point

wheelchair friendly

scenic driving

On the long drive back to Dallas from the New Mexico badlands, this was one of a handful of scenic roads in northern NM that made the extra few hours driving well worth the detour, especially compared to the I-40 alternative... I wouldn't say this stretch stands out compared to the others in this area (As someone else mentioned, the stretch between Taos and Angel Fire is a notable highlight), but it is a beautiful drive... That said, it's just a drive, if you're not physically exploring the trails/areas, I don't really see the point...

We always come through Cimarron Canyon on our way to Angel Fire and it’s a real treat for your eyes... plus it’s a fun drive if you enjoy curvy sports car kind of driving. I was not aware there had been a forest fire that affected a good portion of the forest on this route. Made me sad, but also happy to see the way nature is springing back. Lots of nice pull outs so you can enjoy the scenery and take a short hike. Be aware though- it is a State Park with a usage fee if you plan a real hike here.

Sun Sep 02 2018

Drove this stretch back in late June just after the Ute Park fire burned much of the Philmont scout ranch. It was very intense and killed nearly 100% of the tree cover in areas between Cimarron and Ute Park. It will take decades to recover portions of the forest. The drive is still stunning however, and much of Cimarron Canyon State Park was spared the fire. Will be interesting to see how the area recovers in the coming years.

Sun Feb 18 2018

I grew up in northern New Mexico so I’m no stranger to scenic mountain drives, but this one really surprised me and I considered it jaw dropping in places.

Sun Nov 12 2017

Did this stretch of road on our way from Taos to Colorado Springs. Typical SW canyon country driving. I think the section from Taos to the Angel Fire cut off is just about in the same category. Both nice drives.

Sun Jul 23 2017

Spectacular drive! Inspiring and beautiful. Lots of trails in this area.

Fri May 20 2016

This is just something else!! I was in awe with the beauty of this place..

Mon Jun 15 2015

nice drive, not a destination, but a lot of hiking in the area.