Cimarron Canyon: Cimarron to Eagle Nest Scenic Drive

Cimarron Canyon: Cimarron to Eagle Nest Scenic Drive is a 23.8 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Cimarron, New Mexico that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for scenic driving and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Point to Point

wheelchair friendly

scenic driving

Drove this stretch back in late June just after the Ute Park fire burned much of the Philmont scout ranch. It was very intense and killed nearly 100% of the tree cover in areas between Cimarron and Ute Park. It will take decades to recover portions of the forest. The drive is still stunning however, and much of Cimarron Canyon State Park was spared the fire. Will be interesting to see how the area recovers in the coming years.

I grew up in northern New Mexico so I’m no stranger to scenic mountain drives, but this one really surprised me and I considered it jaw dropping in places.

scenic driving

Did this stretch of road on our way from Taos to Colorado Springs. Typical SW canyon country driving. I think the section from Taos to the Angel Fire cut off is just about in the same category. Both nice drives.

Sunday, July 23, 2017

Spectacular drive! Inspiring and beautiful. Lots of trails in this area.

Friday, May 20, 2016

This is just something else!! I was in awe with the beauty of this place..

Monday, June 15, 2015

nice drive, not a destination, but a lot of hiking in the area.