Church Rock Trail is a 2.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Gallup, New Mexico that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The hike up to the formation is well marked and fairly easy. If you want to get closer, you will need to do some off trail scrambling.

The views were amazing! There trail is clearly marked. There were some areas that were a little steep, but there were cut out steps and was worth the climb.

Like the pyramid trail this is a beautiful trail built and maintained by the YCC. We did this trail and discovered a connecting trail to to the Pyramid Trail. The trail takes off from the left (west) side of the loop at the top of canyon and meets the Pyramid Trail about a third of a mile from the summit. Very nice.

The actual trail was great, well marked and fun but safe (in dry weather) paths and cutouts in to the sandstone. When you get close to the actual rock formation the trail drops off and this turns into more of a canyon scramble to get up to the formation (if you want to, it is probably intended you don't since the trail is very well marked up to a point). The route I found from where the trail dropped was going across a cambered / slanted bench to the side of a short dry fall which I found doable on the way in, but then I was very sketched out by it on the way back b/c of a few diff angles doing that way, plus tired. I had assumed once I was up closer to the structure I would find the official trail and rejoin and not have to return the way I'd came. I found allot of trails up there, but many just led to cliffs, no safe maintained nontechnical ways down that I found. It looked like there were easier approaches from the back side of the formation (private property) so that may explain the busier trails up top without an easy way to get there from this trail. Maybe I missed something, but for me this map was misleading b/c it combined a fun, way to follow official trail with a cross country spur that was a little dicey at my canyon hiking skill level.

Besides the wayfinding and climbing challenges it was allot of fun.

Once you get up to the bottom of the formation it's much, much easier to get up higher on / in it from the far backside corner.

Definitely not for beginners. A lot of steep slopes and drops so you need to watch your footing. Otherwise, it has great views.

Awesome trail.

Schöner Trail, in der Mitte der Strecke nicht immer ganz sicher wie die Weg läuft, aber mit GPS kein Problem.
Bei über 30Grad, zwischendurch schon ein wenig anstrengend, aber nur für kurze Abschnitte. Wasser ist zwingend.
Coole Aussicht mit schönen Formationen.

Fun trail!

Beautiful trail. Many markers to tell you where to go. One word of caution though, if you have a fear of heights , there are areas on the trail that there is a shear drop off, and another area with cut out stairs going either up or down a very steep rock face (depending on which direction you do the loop.) but highly recommend!

Tuesday, October 17, 2017

I parked my RV for free for several hours in the lot near the Post Office. I ran around the various park facilities and encountered virtually no traffic. The Church Trail is awesome for hiking but might be rough for jogging. It's best if you stay down around the campgrounds and museum/offices for jogging/running. AllTrails indicates this is a state park. It is NOT a state park. It's a local park ran by the Gallup Parks and Rec.

Thursday, September 07, 2017

Beautiful views. About a 1.5 to 2 hour hike all together. I was a little confused by the trail. What this app was showing doesn't seem to be anymore. I feel like part of the trail was washed out so it cut me a little short. Just follow the stacked rock formations as your trails guid. The trail is quite sandy so slipping or losing your footing can easily happen.

Thursday, June 01, 2017

This is a great family hike. Not too many high places or really rough to navigate terrain. There is a cut off to the more challenging Pyramid trail if this is too easy.

Monday, May 29, 2017

I loved it! It's my first completed trail hike. We did lose the trail a little because once you get in pretty far there are no more signs or trail markers. Otherwise it was spectacular!

Thursday, March 23, 2017

Beautiful sandstone hike with amazing views. The trail leads through sandy areas, sandstone with steps carved out, and then you get to the base of Churchrock formation and you hike around the entire formation. Definitely recommend this hike.

Monday, October 17, 2016

It was a nice day to take the dogs on a hike.

Thursday, March 10, 2016

Great trail and I highly recommend if your in Gallup. The first part is very sandy as you walk toward Church Rock. Follow the cairns and pink ribbon to stay on the trail.

Wednesday, November 04, 2015

Fun, have to follow cairns and steps carved in rocks.

Sunday, April 12, 2015

Amazing views. I took trail to left past the other rock monolith, down into canyon and back up. I kept wanting the trail to bring me up and back towards the church rock, but it seemed to then go off in the opposite direction. Once you get to a fence and a sign that says 'donated by youth of NM' or something like that. There is also a wooden constructed look out post type thing with a ladder.

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

This trail had some nice scenery, but when you try to do the hike you need to be prepared because there are so many trails that crisscross each other that you end up losing the way since there are no landmarks after the first part. This is a trail that I will not be doing again. Good luck to those that try it, but if I do, do this again then the trail needs to be updated with markers and some neat educational things like pyramid rock.

Thursday, October 03, 2013

Such a beautiful trail! Yes, there is a lot of sand and dirt in the first part of trail, but after that it's pretty solid. Quite a few single track areas as well. There are portions where it is pretty steep, but in some spots there are foot holds cut out to help. Definitely worth doing when in a Gallup.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Beautiful scenery! However, the sand makes this hike difficult. ..I had sneakers full of sand by the end of it! It was a breezy day so I also had a mouthful of sand! Church rock is beautiful to look at though. I only hiked 1.17mi due to the conditions...would like to complete this sometime.

Thursday, June 13, 2013

This is a very rocky trail. It is definitely a moderate/difficult as it is a lot of uphill on slippery rock. The scenery and the views are incredible. If you're ever in Gallup, NM it's a must do. There are lots of critters and we found the occasional dog droppings that were left behind so watch your step!

Saturday, April 27, 2013

It's a popular trail around the Gallup area. Lots of people there on the weekends and sunny days. Dogs are allowed on the trail too! Points of Interest Maps located throughout to give information about the area.