Church Rock Trail

Church Rock Trail is a 3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Gallup, New Mexico that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Beautiful views. About a 1.5 to 2 hour hike all together. I was a little confused by the trail. What this app was showing doesn't seem to be anymore. I feel like part of the trail was washed out so it cut me a little short. Just follow the stacked rock formations as your trails guid. The trail is quite sandy so slipping or losing your footing can easily happen.

This is a great family hike. Not too many high places or really rough to navigate terrain. There is a cut off to the more challenging Pyramid trail if this is too easy.

I loved it! It's my first completed trail hike. We did lose the trail a little because once you get in pretty far there are no more signs or trail markers. Otherwise it was spectacular!

Beautiful sandstone hike with amazing views. The trail leads through sandy areas, sandstone with steps carved out, and then you get to the base of Churchrock formation and you hike around the entire formation. Definitely recommend this hike.

It was a nice day to take the dogs on a hike.

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Thursday, March 10, 2016

Great trail and I highly recommend if your in Gallup. The first part is very sandy as you walk toward Church Rock. Follow the cairns and pink ribbon to stay on the trail.

Wednesday, November 04, 2015

Fun, have to follow cairns and steps carved in rocks.

Sunday, April 12, 2015

Amazing views. I took trail to left past the other rock monolith, down into canyon and back up. I kept wanting the trail to bring me up and back towards the church rock, but it seemed to then go off in the opposite direction. Once you get to a fence and a sign that says 'donated by youth of NM' or something like that. There is also a wooden constructed look out post type thing with a ladder.

Tuesday, April 08, 2014

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

This trail had some nice scenery, but when you try to do the hike you need to be prepared because there are so many trails that crisscross each other that you end up losing the way since there are no landmarks after the first part. This is a trail that I will not be doing again. Good luck to those that try it, but if I do, do this again then the trail needs to be updated with markers and some neat educational things like pyramid rock.