Chamisa Trail

Chamisa Trail is a 4.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Santa Fe, New Mexico that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.5 miles Elevation Gain: 1,148 feet Route Type: Loop

Great Trail for conditioning. I've actually only done the smaller loop, coming in the main way, which has a few steep inclines, and then take a sharp right where several routes intersect at the top, and you have a leisurely walk down to the parking area where you begin. I run back down. If you go the opposite way it's less challenging. I'm using the trail for athletic conditioning and it's perfect for someone in low to moderate physical shape to achieve a healthy level of fitness. It's well shaded in morning and afternoon, which is excellent for folks who are prone to overheating. It does have quite a bit more sun from 11 - 3, but still enough intermittent shade to make it doable any time of day. Trail is mostly smooth dirt although there are some occasional roots and rocky spots. Some of the trail washes out a bit when it rains, but nothing too crazy. Above and below most of the trail is a steep slope up/down the mountainside, which has made my family members nervous in spots, but I don't think it's very concerning... although I would wear shoes with good tread. Takes me 50 mins to do the loop that I described. I'm looking forward to doing the rest of the trail when I have more time for it... I have heard that it goes down to a meadow and stream, which doubles the length of going the experience. Ps - I always enounter a few dogs on the trail... less than half are leashed. generally, people seem to be good about picking up after them.

Really enjoyed this trail. We went the main trail first and then looped back down the alternate. If I were to do with kids, I’d flip that, as the alternate is not a steep incline but does ha e a few scrambles that would be easier to go up than down. The wildflowers down by the creek had gone beyond, so want to do this again in late spring/early summer to enjoy those. A nice shaded trail either way

Beautiful brook, lots of woods, amazing growth, incredible chamisa field at the end.

Calming hike with few people for a Saturday. Highly enjoyed taking the little trail to the lower right at the sign that signifies you are beginning to loop around. It’s probably a little less than 3/4 of a mile to a little creek and the walk down there is really nice.

Great trail. Nice meadow and babbling brook at end. If weather has been dry the alternate route is better, more shade less narrow ledge with drop off.

I really enjoyed the gradual incline. The shade is excellent on a 90 degree day. I went 1.6 miles out and returned due to time but was told if I kept going to the 2.5 mi Mark there is a beautiful wild flower field and river. Next time!!!

loved it. hiked with dog, no problem. beautiful place.

We did the Chimisa Trail with extension all the way to Bear wallow loop. it was 8 miles in 4 hours it makes a great hike.

Great shaded walk through the mountains & pine trees. The trailhead is on the north side of the road and offers the regular trail on the right & the alternate route on the left. I took the regular trail first. It starts off climbing right away but levels off for the majority of the trail. When you get to the Saddleback trailhead, follow the trail down & to the right. When you get to the end of the trail there’s a little meadow next to a stream. Great place to take a break. On the way back, chose the alternate route. While it is billed as more difficult, there is only one small hard spot although it is much narrower.

Nice hike through the woods. No significant view point but beautiful the whole way.

This trail is quite popular with dog owners. The signs say on leash only, but 80% of people I see take the leashes off once they are away from the cars. The alternate route on the left has a lot less shade, more rocks vs earth, and contains a small scramble section. The main route on the right starts quite steep but quickly eases up. The main trail gets fairly narrow in places. I recommend some form of walking stick for either route, as both have some steep areas. The top is the midpoint. If you keep going, there's a moderately steep section down before you get into the area where a lot of the flowers start. I saw columbine, strawberry, roses, irises, dandelions... very pretty. The trail dead ends perpendicular to another trail. If you look right at the end you'll see a large rock in a meadow. To the left of this rock is a little path to the edge of a little stream, great for dogs to play in.

I had the worst time trying to even recognize where this trail was? There was kind of a defined trail for a bit, but after going more into the forest I couldn't find the trail. Had to turn back.

perfect for families and beginners. nice and shady.

Did a day hike. Ran into several dog walkers so seems to be pretty dog friendly. Some bikers too but there’re some steep slopes so gonna be quite challenging for biking. Scenic view and connected to several other trails made it a great choice! Road condition pretty good and I went after several days of raining.

This trail was a very pretty walk through the woods! Uphill for most of the way there, not a whole lot of views, but nonetheless a beautiful, peaceful hike.

Fun day hike for My fiancé, dog and myself. Lots of shade from the sun and if you go to the end there’s a nice creek pay off. Couple of short very steep spots with loose gravel but you’ll just fall on your butt at worst and keep going.

The “alternate route” through the bottom of the valley is better for those who might be bothered by heights. The main trail has sections of narrow path along steep sloping hillside. Pleasant hike among the poderosas.

Beautiful forested easy trail - can use trail runners or hiking boots...minimum gurgling water in creeks today, and was shaded and cool. Wee tiny flowers scattered around. A very pleasant and and non-strenuous jaunt in the woods!

This was a very fun trail. Which leg you take depends on if you want to climb steeply at first or later in your hike. At the information board, we turned down the hill and continued on. After awhile the stream that runs in that little valley merged with the trail and we were not prepared to walk for a prolonged time through a few inches of water so turned around. Very beautiful, some snow on the ground.

We didn’t go the whole trail because we saw bear tracks. Would have been a nice hike.

recorded Chamisa Trail

Steep trail in the beginning, but well maintained. We had a fun hike with our dog.

This was a long trail. Not always clearly marked. Could use some cairns or more signs. But great views.

I generally always start on the trail to the right of the trailhead sign. The trail is relatively steep to start but overall, it’s probably a medium-difficulty trail. If you take the entire trail and not stop at the peak (connects with Windsor at the end, I think), there is a meadow and stream. I’ve camped there before and is a nice spot.

I also went clockwise (left trail up) as the steep rocky riverbed terrain was much easier on the incline than would have been coming down. Pleasant forest trail, with no substantial views but great for a trail run. Microspikes were helpful for half of the trail.

All advice to take the alternate trail up and the Chamisa 183 trail down is good advice. The alternate trail begins to the left of the sign/map in the parking lot you’ll come down/out on the trail just to the right of that same sign. Both routes take you up to intersect at a sign that points towards Saddleback Ridge (to the left). I chose to go down toward the right for about an hour toward Tusecque, then doubled back to that sign to sit and lunch and then traipsed up the Saddleback Trail a bit just to get some different views and then doubled back take 183 back down in the parking lot. 11:30 AM to 3 PM. The trails are good it was a nice workout, moderate.

This is a great trail, I was advised to go counterclockwise and happy I did. Steep incline on the last part of trail. Nice switchbacks going up.

Wednesday, September 19, 2018

A pretty trail, for sure. We went on a Monday, so there wasn't a ton of traffic. We took the more difficult "alternate" route on the left-hand side. If you're a hiker, it is nothing that I would consider hard. No summit or specific end-destination, but beautiful flowers and trees throughout.

Sunday, August 12, 2018

We actually did the loop which is part of the San Juan and Windsor. It’s 10 miles and a tough hike. I had my all trails turned on. Not sure why the whole hike is not recorded. We’ve done this hike 3 times. It’s a good workout.

Sunday, July 29, 2018

I did the “‘more difficult” route up. Because you’re hiking through a riverbed, the terrain is uneven and challenging, but I enjoyed it. Took the easier route down, which was lovely. However it was Saturday morning and TONS of people on the narrow trail. Was annoying the keep having to stop and step to the side.