Chamisa Trail

Chamisa Trail is a 4.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Santa Fe, New Mexico that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I generally always start on the trail to the right of the trailhead sign. The trail is relatively steep to start but overall, it’s probably a medium-difficulty trail. If you take the entire trail and not stop at the peak (connects with Windsor at the end, I think), there is a meadow and stream. I’ve camped there before and is a nice spot.

I also went clockwise (left trail up) as the steep rocky riverbed terrain was much easier on the incline than would have been coming down. Pleasant forest trail, with no substantial views but great for a trail run. Microspikes were helpful for half of the trail.

All advice to take the alternate trail up and the Chamisa 183 trail down is good advice. The alternate trail begins to the left of the sign/map in the parking lot you’ll come down/out on the trail just to the right of that same sign. Both routes take you up to intersect at a sign that points towards Saddleback Ridge (to the left). I chose to go down toward the right for about an hour toward Tusecque, then doubled back to that sign to sit and lunch and then traipsed up the Saddleback Trail a bit just to get some different views and then doubled back take 183 back down in the parking lot. 11:30 AM to 3 PM. The trails are good it was a nice workout, moderate.

This is a great trail, I was advised to go counterclockwise and happy I did. Steep incline on the last part of trail. Nice switchbacks going up.

A pretty trail, for sure. We went on a Monday, so there wasn't a ton of traffic. We took the more difficult "alternate" route on the left-hand side. If you're a hiker, it is nothing that I would consider hard. No summit or specific end-destination, but beautiful flowers and trees throughout.

We actually did the loop which is part of the San Juan and Windsor. It’s 10 miles and a tough hike. I had my all trails turned on. Not sure why the whole hike is not recorded. We’ve done this hike 3 times. It’s a good workout.

I did the “‘more difficult” route up. Because you’re hiking through a riverbed, the terrain is uneven and challenging, but I enjoyed it. Took the easier route down, which was lovely. However it was Saturday morning and TONS of people on the narrow trail. Was annoying the keep having to stop and step to the side.

This trail for me was what I would consider "easy". I took the main route out to the turn around, and chose to hike the alternate route (by the dry creek) - heading back. Definitely did not like the alternate route as much.
If I were to choose this trail again, think I'll choose to mountain bike it and connect with several other trails at the top.

Fun out and back hike. We took the high road from the TH and came back down the creek bed. The higher trail has a few sections where there is a steep drop off; just be aware and you'll be fine.

Beautiful views on the high side of the loop. Other side is essentially beneath it where there’s a creek bed.

Enjoyed family time on this trail!

Nice hike. Took the “more difficult” trail in and the “easy” path out. Would recommend this route the views from the easy path are great! Quick hike!

Awesome trail.

Beautiful views!

Sunday, January 14, 2018

a nice hike. not too difficult. some inclines and nice view of ski santafe and Mount Baldy from the top.

Monday, December 04, 2017

Steep climb with sharp drop offs. Not many overlooks, but beautiful trail through the trees. Just great to be in Santa Fe!

Sunday, October 01, 2017

after a weeks worth of rain, was hiking up a rillet and able to use the pinecone dams for dry footing. forest department volunteers were working on the trail to repair rain damage. there was a lone western scarlet gilia in the meadow. beautiful trail on a wet day.

Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Beautiful hike. TAKE A PICTURE OF TRAIL MAP. We took a wrong turn and ended up on Bishops lodge. Had to Uber back to our car 5 mi away, which doesn't sound bad, however it sounds horrible when you've already walked 7.5mi that day.

Sunday, September 17, 2017

very steep, most of trail very close to sharp drop...the alternative, supposedly more difficult route, is much nicer with a more gradual incline. both paths go to the same location

Friday, September 08, 2017

Gorgeous views, went labor day weekend and did not encounter too many people. Only one dog was on a leash. Stop often to rest and listen to the trees sing in the wind. At the top of the ridge before coming back on the loop, there are other trails to explore. Had lunch at the top. It was nice ending with the meadow; it was all easy down hill to wildflowers, bees, and young aspens.

Monday, August 14, 2017

Beautiful. Quiet. A lovely escape

Sunday, July 30, 2017

This trail is a favorite little trail we do. We have lived in Santa Fe a year and this was one of our firsts. It's easy and quick and you can still get a little workout in. Friendly people, lots a dogs and well hiked trail.

Sunday, July 30, 2017

the trail was nice and marked.... after reaching the end i tool another trail that i ended up hiking 13.6 miles.... overall was a nice trail

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

Beautiful trail although it was too much for my mother and aunt who were in town to visit due to lack of physical ability. I'll be going back though for sure

Sunday, July 02, 2017

Has been a favorite for the last 25 years. Just a fun quick hike, but can be much longer by connecting trails. Easy to follow and mostly shady.

Saturday, July 01, 2017

Good solid trail. Nice and shady for those hot days.

Wednesday, June 14, 2017

This was our first trail after moving here to Santa Fe. I must say this trail was AMAZING!!! Spectacular views, easy to follow trail. We definitely are coming back!

Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Awesome hike at Chamisa Trail today!!

Saturday, May 27, 2017

Great day hike in the forest.

Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Solid, beautiful hike. At the top of the circuit people apparently do yoga. Lots of nature.