Learn more

Chamisa Trail is a 4.5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Santa Fe, New Mexico that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.5 miles Elevation Gain: 1,148 feet Route Type: Loop

really busy on a Friday morning. not great with covid. also lots of MTN bikes which is fine but not the greatest for hiking.

We did much of the Chamisa Trail - turned back 1/2 mile before we got to Windsor as we were running out of time. Did the trail counter-clockwise which I'd recommend. Went on a Friday and saw just a few other people & no bikes.

A black bear was spotted last week ON THE TRAIL. Aside from that, it would be nice save the zillion cars, aggressive bikers; dog poop everywhere and zero parking. The trail has deteriorated and there are always stuck old people that can’t handle the loose earth, steep parts and you invariably have to guide them down adding about 20 minutes into your hike. Lovely mountain regardless. Stay away if your not nimble.

Very enjoyable hike- lots of Aspen trees. There’s a creek at the bottom and a nice trail running alongside it for a bit. This trail runs into Winsor Trail which we hiked a couple miles then turned around. Lots of bikers so watch out for them.

What a wonderful creek trail! From the trailhead, go right for the more reasonable path. The shorter side of the loop was incredibly steep and rocky. At the end of the trailhead, we turned right into the meadow and saw a patch of iris flowers and a large rock, then a quick left and there was a great area to sit and enjoy the creek. Water was cold but beautiful. On a Friday morning we passed only 4-5 pairs of people.

One of my favorite trails in Santa Fe. Beautiful & a good workout, but not so strenuous you couldn’t do it daily.

Easy to get to and plenty of parking at the trailhead. Very popular. There’s 2 paths to go up - one on the right that is less strenuous than the alternate. Took the one on the right and thought it was pretty steep. Took the alternate down and it would’ve been more challenging. Was more rugged. You’re hiking uphill, then towards the end you go downhill to the river. Great place to break for lunch. More so of a forest hike; not a ton of miraculous views, but the trees near the river are pretty.

Beautiful trail. Great workout. Close to town.

Pretty, peaceful trail with great wildflowers!

Made this a big loop counter clockwise- great day in the woods

if you turn right at the sign about half way through, (thought it was chamisa...) it takes you to a moderately unmarked trail called Galbaldon, it’s steep & uphill with a couple false summits. top is beautiful.

Well maintained super chill trail.

Good views but not spectacular like some others around. Nicely maintained and a good balance of ease and incline. The stream was nice and some very enjoyable parts. Good hike and experience but not among my top hikes in the area.

Wonderful hike with scenic views at both high and low points. Great conditions as of early April.

icy

First time on this beautiful trail! Micro spikes def needed.

icy

Very nice elevation up to 8500 feet! The central conditions. A bit muddy and some sections. Overall great not too busy. Recommend.

My first time on this trail bc traffic to ski area was crazy. It’s easy enough, and I completed it without snowshoes or yak tracks, but nice that someone went ahead of me and marked the trail. There are a number of additional loops that you can add on to this one and make a real day of it.

icy

Love this trail - currently icy in many spots.

icy

Snow is more packed down than two weeks ago, so it’s almost impassable without microspikes. Very icy. But beautiful, as always!

Really enjoyed the trail. Fortunately people had gone before us and showed the way through the show. Otherwise we would have been lost in a few spots, not being familiar with the trail.

So, I think what they mean by a loop is a loop with a tail. the loop is really only a little over two miles. Now, if you take the tail down chami(z)a trail and back to get back on the loop, it'll give you a little over 4 miles. I did the clockwise loop starting at the 'alternate' route. If you are a hiker and do uphill regularly, this will not seem difficult for you. it is a nice incline with one more steep area. About a mile up you will find connection trails. One is a saddle back (I haven't done it), one is down chamiza... about a mile down - and this will hook up with windsor trail - then you'll have to come back up to get on the chamisa loop. overall a peaceful hike, good amount of people and cute dogs. I did the 4.5 miles in a little less than 2 hours.

For me, the trail was very narrow so because I have a balance issue it was not a good trail for me. But it was beautiful and if you could hike all the way down to the creek it’s really special.

Great Trail for conditioning. I've actually only done the smaller loop, coming in the main way, which has a few steep inclines, and then take a sharp right where several routes intersect at the top, and you have a leisurely walk down to the parking area where you begin. I run back down. If you go the opposite way it's less challenging. I'm using the trail for athletic conditioning and it's perfect for someone in low to moderate physical shape to achieve a healthy level of fitness. It's well shaded in morning and afternoon, which is excellent for folks who are prone to overheating. It does have quite a bit more sun from 11 - 3, but still enough intermittent shade to make it doable any time of day. Trail is mostly smooth dirt although there are some occasional roots and rocky spots. Some of the trail washes out a bit when it rains, but nothing too crazy. Above and below most of the trail is a steep slope up/down the mountainside, which has made my family members nervous in spots, but I don't think it's very concerning... although I would wear shoes with good tread. Takes me 50 mins to do the loop that I described. I'm looking forward to doing the rest of the trail when I have more time for it... I have heard that it goes down to a meadow and stream, which doubles the length of going the experience. Ps - I always enounter a few dogs on the trail... less than half are leashed. generally, people seem to be good about picking up after them.

Really enjoyed this trail. We went the main trail first and then looped back down the alternate. If I were to do with kids, I’d flip that, as the alternate is not a steep incline but does ha e a few scrambles that would be easier to go up than down. The wildflowers down by the creek had gone beyond, so want to do this again in late spring/early summer to enjoy those. A nice shaded trail either way