Cerro Grande Trail is a 3.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Jemez Springs, New Mexico that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is best used from April until October.

Temporarily closed due to fire restrictions. More information can be found here: https://nmfireinfo.com/2018/05/30/three-northern-new-mexico-national-parks-to-increase-fire-restrictions/ The Cerro Grande Route winds its way up to the highest point in the park, Cerro Grande Peak (10,199 ft). The preferred route is marked by yellow diamonds and is 2.3 miles each way (4.6 round trip). There is an elevation gain of approximately 1200 feet from trailhead to summit. This route passes through the mixed conifer forest and is an excellent place to see wildflowers in mid to late summer. The view of the Valles Caldera and lower Bandelier from the upper portion of the route is quite spectacular. Remember, as this trail begins at high elevation and ends at even higher elevation, snow and ice may be present longer than at lower elevations. In late summer, thunderstorms can pose a serious threat. Before hiking be sure you are prepared with adequate gear and clothing. Hiking poles are recommended to help with hiking on steep or uneven terrain. There is no water available along this route.

This hike is worth it. Beautiful views most of the way up and 360 at the top. I was totally winded during the 2nd half because I’m not used to elevation but it took 1-1/2 hrs up and 1 hr down. Nor sure what the $25 fee was that the other reviewer paid. No fee required for this hike.

We arrived this morning to find that about 95% of the park is closed due to fire hazard, including for hiking. I have never used fire as a hiking method and find it unacceptable to pay the $25 fee only to be able to hike the tourist trails, which is all that is open.

Beautiful views at the top of all the nearby mountain ranges and the Valles Caldera Park. I wasn’t used to the altitude and the incline is unrelenting. I had to stop every 10-20 yards near the top to catch my breath. I didn’t quite realize how steep it was until I headed back down and really had to watch my step. I’m still a pretty novice hiker, and it took me about 2-2.5 hours up (lots of breaks) and 1 hour back down. I’m not sure I would do this one again unless I more acclimated to the altitude, but it was worth it at least once for the great views which start about halfway up.

Tuesday, October 17, 2017

The incline was hard for some in my hiking group. However, the views were spectacular, especially for a short trail.

Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Great hike! You can see the Valle Grande once on top of the mountain. Towards the top my girlfriend and I saw elk.

Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Moderate hike with awesome 360 views at the top!

Friday, August 26, 2016

Lung and quad busting! Just what I was looking for. Living at sea level, this trail definitely humbled me. Beautiful views at summit, wish I could do it weekly.

Wednesday, September 09, 2015

It was a fantastic after work hike!

Wednesday, May 07, 2014

The views from the top of the mountain makes this hike totally worth the effort. I have never seen better views than this. We even saw an Elk, what more could one ask for. Near the top it becomes wide open and hence very windy, so attention must be paid while coming down. It had very light traffic, we just met to couples. Hence you really get the opportunity to enjoy! Mostly it was shady, always carry a light jacket as wind up there was cold even in May.

Wednesday, October 04, 2017