Cave Creek Trail

Cave Creek Trail is a 5.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Tererro, New Mexico that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.6 miles Elevation Gain: 721 feet Route Type: Out & Back

cave

Beautiful hike, but missed the caves! Followed the map all the way to the end. How did I miss them? I only saw one to the right, just a tad bit higher than the trail.

Wonderful hike! Aspen turning golden and the creek was full. Walked a ways into the first cave, then turned around. Definitely worth a return trip.

Great trail. The caves were at 2.4 miles according to our gps. We came to a clearing where there was a pile of rocks and the caves were to the left. Crossed the creek one time so we were glad to have the extra shoes when we were finished.

Beautiful hike with great views. Look for caves on your right not too long after the trail leaves the larger creek.

cool cave system towards the end

Perfect trail for kids! I have an 8 year old and a 10 year old and they both had a blast! The scenery was beautiful and there was plenty of shade. The cave was pretty cool to explore too! Wear Chacos, Tivas or some kind of water shoe if you’re planning on going into the cave since the river runs right into it.

Nice easy day hike. Nice scenery, good walk.

Omg this trail is absolutely beautiful! I didn’t make it to the top, I made it to the caves (which are pretty freakin’ cool).I really wanted to explore them, but I’m clumsy and didn’t want to risk it. If you plan to though make sure to take a flashlight! I plan to finish the trail in a couple of weeks since I really enjoyed it. Heads up that there are a lot of bugs out right now.

Amazing trail! Caves were totally worth the trek. Only downside was that several people let their dogs of leash which made getting our dogs through the water a little more challenging. Not the trail’s fault though! Great hike that gives you a little bit of everything and more.

We loved this trail. Beautiful wildflowers and so many butterflies. The Caves were cool and the water is cold in the creek. Nice place to be when the weather is hot everywhere else!

I loved this trail! Beautiful trees, creek, wild flowers, the elevation for July, and even the drive up the Highway 63 Pecos River Valley to get to the trailhead. There is a log creek crossing, but easy enough.

Found this to be a rather boring hike. No views whatsoever and the caves didn't get me excited either.

Loved this hike. went early in the season when the creeks were really flowing. See my video here: https://youtu.be/lf1B2dcfhDY

one of my favorite trails I'm that area. went in mid May, but great weather that day. quick mention, in the beginning of the trail it breaks off into two. there is no sign there warning one, until you come back you will see it, but the left trail is for horseback riding and the right is for hikers. the trail is pretty obvious to follow it was just that small clarification.

good hiking

Mon Sep 10 2018

Beautiful trail with wildflowers and river. The caves are about 3 miles in on the left, easy to miss if you aren’t looking for them.

Sun Sep 02 2018

One of my favorite hikes! This was my second time hiking this trail, its such a beautiful hike. There are vault toilets at the trailhead FYI.

Sat Aug 25 2018

We camped in one of the sites with a shelter at the trail head and found this trail. It was an easy hike that followed the stream. We missed the caves on our way in but found them on the way out... they are just a little bit after the creek crossing. One perk of this trail that might be worth looking into is the connector trails it meets. It seems you can get to other trails that would make for a good loop for a decent backpacking trip throughout the Pecks!

Wed May 23 2018

Completely different hike for Santa Fe. Lush and green with Douglas Fir instead of Ponderosa. A beautiful creek and impressive caves.

Mon Apr 23 2018

Easy, relaxing hike

Thu Apr 19 2018

Easy out and back. The foliage is beautiful during the summer months and hiking next to the creek keeps things cool. The cave is pretty fun and not too deep for the kiddos to explore. Parking can get crazy during the weekends. Awesome!

Wed Apr 11 2018

An amazing, quiet, beautiful hike! Butterflies and birds everywhere. The last part of the trail is pretty rough and steep. Watch out for the caves, they'll sneak up on you. Keep an eye out for a clearing to the west after you cross the creek, the caves are right around there.

Wed Jan 10 2018

This trail was a very beautiful hike! Caves were cool to explore but be aware, they are very easy to miss. Hiked this trail in August '16 and wasn't very busy as the trail head is off the beaten path.

Sun Nov 12 2017

Good short trip, a bit of a drive but great for a longer trail route. Found the mini caves, on your left about 2.5 miles up. Good for trial running

Wed Oct 11 2017

Nice, easy hike next to a stream!

Tue Aug 15 2017

Nice trail to hike for something different. There are not many caves in the area. There are fish in the creek. Watch out for a bit of poison ivy along the trail. Leaves of three...let it be.

Sat Aug 05 2017

If you live in Santa Fe, unless you enjoy driving extended distances on narrow windy mountain roads, and unless you've already finished *everything* that Hyde Park and other local spots have to offer, there's really no good reason to bother with this trail. Or possibly if you're camping nearby. The drive was simply not worth the effort otherwise.

Fri Jul 28 2017

Terrific trail! Lots of flowers and butterflies. Mostly shaded and follows the creek. The caves were small but neat. We forgot our flashlights so we didn't go far in.

Sat Jul 08 2017

Backpacked with two 7 year olds. They were thrilled to see the cave. It's about 50 feet deep and has a stream running nearby. We camped at one of the 4 dispersed sites near the cave. The camping was excellent as well. Trailhead is at Panchuela campground.

Sun Jun 18 2017

Took my 12 , 9, 7 year old kids. Beautiful wildflowers saw some orchids too. Caves were small but interesting didn't go in too far. Good intro to the Pecos without hiking far.