Cave Creek Trail

Cave Creek Trail is a 5.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Tererro, New Mexico that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

Backpacked with two 7 year olds. They were thrilled to see the cave. It's about 50 feet deep and has a stream running nearby. We camped at one of the 4 dispersed sites near the cave. The camping was excellent as well. Trailhead is at Panchuela campground.

Took my 12 , 9, 7 year old kids. Beautiful wildflowers saw some orchids too. Caves were small but interesting didn't go in too far. Good intro to the Pecos without hiking far.

Great fun! Took my sons, 11 and 7, they did fine!

Absolutely beautiful with lots of wildflowers along the way. Easy hike.

Absolutely stunning. My 11 year old loved it as well.

Kids loved it but had to carry them back, a little too long for under 8.

All along this trail covered in August was lush foliage and the sporadic moss hung from it's branches. Nowhere were the screeches, and festering words, "my precious", to be heard. Upon this bewitching cut through the Santa Fe National Forest was but enchantment and the desire to abide forever within its trunks, to watch the forest age. It's cave I found thirsty and swallowing a portion of the creek in an attempt to quest it's watery depths, down into the throat I went only to find it's thirst in a darkness unfathomable.

Excellent for the family. We went in August with 3 kids, two in backpacks. the trail is not steep but still challenging and gets your heart pumping. The caves are very cool making it a great destination out and back trail. We left from trail head at Ponchuela. We would do this again in a heart beat. Be advised there is one significant creek crossing. I would expect your shoes to be wet.

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Saturday, June 01, 2013

This hike was recommended by a ranger at the Pecos National Monument and did not disappoint! The hike is not strenuous and the caves are a fascinating site- Bring a flashlight if you feel like venturing into the caves. We sure wish we had one as fellow hikers told us that they explored 50 yds deep! It's also a nice cool place to take a breather before you head back to the trailhead!