Learn more

Capitan Peak via Summit Trail is a 15.5 mile out and back trail located near Capitan, New Mexico that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and bird watching and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length15.5 miElevation gain4058 ftRoute typeOut & Back
Dogs on leashHikingBird watchingViewsWildflowersWildlifeOver grown
Waypoints (0)
Photos (2)
Recordings (2)
Completed (5)
Benjamin Plett
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 10, 2020
Hiking

My dog and I completed a portion of this hike yesterday, we made it about 4.5 miles down the trail (about 2 miles short of the peak in my estimate), but we ran out of time. First thing to note is that the road up to the trail head is definitely a high clearance vehicle, preferably 4-wheel drive situation. I used 4-wheel drive for a few of the climes, but probably could have made it without it. I wouldn't attempt if it has rained recently. I actually came up on another vehicle and they were having to remove a tree with a chainsaw in front of us! They were workers on the radio tower that is located near the trailhead. Honestly, the road was kind of a plus for me. I would think that any given day of the year, you'd have the trail completely to yourself. The trail has several fallen trees. Especially in the first mile and the portion past the T66/T61 junction. However, I never lost the trail. I say this not to deter you, just so you're ready for it. Progress was not as quick as a better maintained trail. Some of the worst trees to clear are located in the first mile of the trail. From doing research, it is also worth noting that you do not need to do the last 1.5 miles of the trail (one way) if your goal is just to go to the Capitan peak. That will also save you 1500' elevation. The hike is definitely still hard for a day hike, but that makes it a lot more doable. Last thing, I hike in shorts almost exclusively, but I found myself really wanting pants on this one. Pretty overgrown in spots. Kinda hart to rate the hike? I want to return to finish the whole thing, but I feel like the typical hiker would give it three stars at best, due to level of maintenance.

Dubs Day
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 7, 2017
Hiking

A friend & I decided to try this again. Last year we were stopped by a ferocious afternoon rain storm. The first part is fairly straight forward and the trail easy to follow. After the first couple of miles and first major bend, the trail becomes difficult to see and remains that way off and on throughout. The higher one goes, the more frequency the trail is obscured by shrubs, aspens, etc. It is painfully obvious that there has been no trail work done in years, perhaps even more than a decade. The constant thickets one encounters sometimes pushes you off the trail, which can be quite precarious as there is very little level land and talus slopes or narrow bands of mud are the only way through. Compounding this in our trip was the rain. Throughout our 11 hour hike, at least 7 hours were spent in varying degrees of rain intensity. The talus slopes especially were treacherous, both up and down. To be frank, I am amazed neither of us sprained our ankles. Adding to the difficulty were the trees in the middle of the visible or non-visible trail. We had to go over or under at least 75 of them, both on the way up and down. At times we were having to cross several at the same time. Other times we were given only a few steps of respite before another fallen giant was in our way. This became exhausting and time consuming, not to mention slippery, due to the rain. An added insult were the various sized branches sticking from these trees, constantly poking and prodding and drawing blood. We did finally manage to reach the top, only to see........fog....really thick fog...trail-obscuring fog. While not able to enjoy the view, we did have a tremendous sense of accomplishment. However, the temperature was dropping rapidly ( 52 degrees the last time we checked ), the wind was increasing and we were soaked. At this point we had to rely on a compass to get back down, eventually intersecting with the trail again. On the way up and down, there were some spectacular views ( wish we could see them from the summit ). Another bonus ( or detriment, depending on one's situation ) was the isolation. We saw no one. Even on the road to the trailhead there was no one. With that said, until this trail has some major and time-consuming repairs done to it, I would only recommend this loop for very experienced and fit hikers. We had luck, some skill and stubbornness on our side, but truth be told there were times when we were both worried and completely exhausted. During those times, luck can run out. Thankfully it did not for us.

Eddie Dimas
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 28, 2017
First to Review

I hiked this trail in March. The trail was pretty overgrown with thorn bushes. I made it 5 miles before my dog and I could not cross the amount of dead and fallen trees. It was a fun hike but I was wearing shorts and by the time I got back to the trailhead my legs were scratched pretty badly and every step hurt. The trail needs some serious maintenance and the final mile or two towards Capitan Peak were not passable without doing some 'balance beam' moves over the downed trees.

Pamela Hartley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 19, 2020
View Pamela's Recording