Cabezon Peak

Cabezon Peak is a 1.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Cuba, New Mexico that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

Amazing place but the trail can be dangerous. BLM recommends you wear a hard hat. Falling rocks can happen and scree is everywhere. Super views and neat geology of volcanic pugs. Dirt and Scree. Very steep much of the way.

this trail is not easy by any means, especially if you aren't acclimated to the high altitude. the best advice I can give is to take your time and be deliberate with every step. the view from the top is absolutely stunning, but the climbing portions can be challenging, even more so on the trip down. all in all, I enjoyed myself the entire way, and would love to go again some day. when you get to the top, don't forget to sign the roster at the top. it's in an old military ammo can at the Rock piling.

everybody thinks it's hard my first time going up there was moderate.

Couldn’t make it to the top. I tried but I was alone and couldn’t climb up a part. This is more like a rock climb than a hike. Pretty view of the Sandias were I had to turn around though.

Tough hike- go with someone who knows the trail your first time. Wear really good shoes and bring rock climbing gloves. Plan a full day if you aren't an expert hiker.

Challenging and lots of fun, I wouldn't do this in hot weather but perfectly overcast, it was lovely!

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

Great views. Very challenging. Definitely more rock climbing than hiking!

Monday, June 12, 2017

Excellent scramble with amazing views from the top. Expect a class 3 scramble with 1 or 2 class 4 moves. Some exposure as well but good, solid rock.

Wednesday, November 02, 2016

A great hike but more mountaineering than hiking. Some parts not for those with fears of heights. All real sense of accomplishment once your up and back.

Monday, May 16, 2016

spectacular view from the top!

Friday, November 20, 2015

did this trail a couple of years ago, beautiful trail off the beaten path, bring plenty of food and water, cause your in the middle of nowhere, don't drive a low car there either, cause you will be scraping.......you can hike up the peak also........

Thursday, December 19, 2013

Fun scrambles. Amazing views. Not much shelter from bad weather, though.

The hardest part is the climb up the hill to the base of Cabezon. From there, look for an arrow made of stones on the ground pointing you up the scree to the "Chimney". (see photos) The Chimney contains the hardest two scrambles. After those, it's a pretty relaxed hike for a while. The next scrambles will be after a gnarly tree. (see photos again) After that, just stroll your way up to the stone wall on top.

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

I'm only giving a 3 star because I have not made the complete climb yet. I will be going again this month so I can get a better understanding of it. I do like what I see though. 22-23 June is the super moon so I think I'll got for that. Should be some great Stellar photography then.

Monday, April 29, 2013

I hiked the trail that circles around the peak. Excellent hike in my opinion. Reminds me a lot of Devil's Tower in WY, except no crowds. The beginning of the hike is fairly steep but once you reach the base of the volcanic neck the trail levels out and is quite enjoyable.

Thursday, December 29, 2011

This is quite a neat place but not good for little kids. It is fairly strenuous up to the pedestal. Once on the loop it isn't too bad but up and down is. Lots of scree too. The Loop is the trail most take but there is a trail to the top that is insane. The trails have nice views too

recorded CDT