Bull of the Woods Trail

Bull of the Woods Trail is a 14.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Taos Ski Valley, New Mexico that features a lake. The trail is rated as moderate offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

skiing

Amazing hike with spectacular scenery; a classic trail.

I tried this hike a couple of weeks ago but didn't make it. I sort of got mixed up after a couple told me that "wheeler was this way" and I proceeded to go in the direction they went after a quick break. When I ran into them and they told me this, I was at the Red River Canyon and it seemed like the bull of the woods trail went in a different direction than what the couple had told me. I still went in the direction they said to go but the trail got too sketchy and I realized I was going the wrong direction least after about an hour or more. Ended up having a friend that lost his dog after going freestyle down Frazier Mtn. with no trail to get back to a point where I was familiar. Not an ideal start to the hike but now I have better maps and with no dogs haha. Trying it again Friday!

Terrific day hike. Strenuous but not difficult. Nice views once you're above the tree line, especially at Wheeler Peak.

Camped at the trailhead. Hit the trail at sunrise (6:30), reached Wheeler Peak at 11:00 and was back at the trailhead by 2:30. Glad I got an early start. Clouded up at noon and a light rain began around 1:00. But there was also lightning in the area and above the tree line there's no place to shelter. I'm a low-lander (Dallas), but in reasonably good shape (56; bike 40 miles a week). The altitude caught up with me; had to greatly slow my pace and take deeper breaths for the last 2-or-so miles up. Did not see another soul on the trail. Scads of marmots near the peak, including one perched on the top of the rock pile marking Wheeler Peak! (Photo.) No snow or ice on the trail (8/31/16).

Sunday, May 15, 2016

Sunday, March 20, 2016

STRENUOUS HIKE if you're flat landers like us (Kansans), but the views are amazing. We hiked 7.5 miles to Wheelers Peak, then took the rocky 4 mile trail down by Williams Lake. Had a scary moment when we surprised a group of female mountain goats with kids, so stay alert & keep a distance. (One chased us off the trail a bit. She was not intimidated by us at all.) Loved this trail, hope to do it again someday.

Thursday, February 04, 2016

Great hike a must if you want a great overnight to summit Wheeler

Sunday, September 27, 2015

Loved this trail! We hiked it just as the leaves were starting to change and it was gorgeous. It is closer to 7.5 than 1.5, just a heads up. There's also lots of shade, so it's a great hike with dogs!

Sunday, July 12, 2015

If you are not used to the altitude then this trail will be a challenge. It is steep at times but the views are worth it and make sure you are wearing a good pair of shoes and plenty of water.

Thursday, May 28, 2015

Took the Bull of the Woods all the way to Wheeler Peak. I meant to start at the Williams Lake TH, but ended up enjoyed this longer, scenic version that was just as challenging yet different. Camped right at the TH!

Friday, November 28, 2014

This trail starts at the Taos Ski Valley parking at roughly 9400 feet. It's 2 mi. up to Bull of the Woods meadow at 10,800. The first mile is a bit steep, but overall an easy hike if you're used to the altitude. The trail contiues on bypassing Bull of the Wood Mountain, and reaching Fraser Mt. in a bit over 4 Mi. from there it is another 3 + mi. to Wheeler Peak.

Saturday, October 04, 2014

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Wednesday, May 01, 2013

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Great for snowshoeing in the winter. Strenuous at times but short.

Sunday, August 05, 2012