Bosque Trail Loop

Bosque Trail Loop is a 9.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Estancia, New Mexico that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October.

I must confess that I think I would have enjoyed this hike a little more if a) I hit it when the leaves were turning or b) I'd done a little more research. A previous hiker mentioned and posted pics of a B-17 crash site and former homestead. I didn't do the research on specifics before I got there and it wasn't obvious or readily posted where they were at. I checked when I returned and both are near Bosque Peak. You have to look a little bit to locate some old threads about their location. That being said, there were some nice views along the crest (miles 3-6). I ran the loop counterclockwise and would recommend that. You get your big ascent done and can enjoy a slow descent. One other aspect of the trail I didn't enjoy was that the last 2 miles were along a road. Again, I didn't put in the research. If you get to the crash site and old homestead that would probably bump this to a 4 for me. All, in all though--this is an investment of time to get here of about 1:15 each way from ABQ; I'm not sure I'd head out here again unless I could get some fall leaves or spring wildflowers.

Monday, November 21, 2016

Trail is easy to follow until reaching the crest (follow the pink ribbons). Tons of sights and history. A cave, B-17 wreck, and early 20th century homestead plus grave site. Watch for grazing cattle. This hike is surprisingly worthwhile for a short few miles of investment. Approach trailhead via dirt road to Fourth of July campground out of Tajique. Google the trail for gps coords of various POI and directions.