Boca Negra Canyon Trail is a 0.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Albuquerque, New Mexico that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 0.6 miles Elevation Gain: 91 feet Route Type: Out & Back

paved

historic site

A series of short trails in Albuquerque's Boca Negra canyon. Note: Biking is now allowed on this trail.

Small area right off a main road. Nice short trails and fun to climb to the top of the hill. Petroglyphs were interesting.

Easy trail with quite a few Petroglyphs visible!

A short but sweet trail leading up a hill. I pondered many a petroglyph and its origin. Great hike in October full of wildfires. Personally I like longer and more challenging hikes! ;)

Too much concrete and and asphalt for our taste

Worth seeing! Enjoyed the macaw and other glyphs.

Fri May 10 2019

Easy short and crowded. Petroglyphs look like they were done by some hippies in the 60’s but now I’m dating myself.

Tue Apr 30 2019

This trail is the easiest of the Petroglyph National Monument trails. It also has the least amount of glyphs. There was also a lot more people at this location. Nice little walk, though.

Tue Apr 30 2019

Fun trail up the hill, petroglyphs were neat, we had fun finding them!

Fri Apr 26 2019

Sun Apr 21 2019

Wandered to see the petroglyphs which were lovely. Trail is very easy and rather short. Good view from the top.

Sun Apr 07 2019

Pretty easy, introductory trail. Took us about 45 min for the first loop taking our time to read all the signs and take pictures. The second two are much shorter, and faster, but took our time.

Tue Mar 26 2019

Nice trail with a lot of Petroglyphs. Only was able to do this one trail. Had nice views.

Sat Feb 23 2019

Very short but challenging hike with nice view.

Fri Dec 28 2018

Cool climb and interesting history behind this area. The views were amazing and the rock was cool..!

Wed Dec 26 2018

Very untraditional (= not Texan) hike today - big snow flakes flying right into our eyes and rocks were extremely icy and slippery. We tried to find petroglyphs, old indian images on rocks, but they were mostly covered by snow. But the highlight of the day for our little Texans was building a snowman Olaf, of course :) If not icy, this is a short and quite easy hike even with small kids.

Tue Dec 11 2018

Short trail but steep and lots of petroglyphs!!! very worth it

Tue Dec 04 2018

Short and sweet. $1 entrance fee.

Sun Nov 04 2018

During trip to NM 10/17...This was the safest trail for me in October 2017. I wanted so badly to do a higher one in the same location but given the ankle it wouldn't be a good idea. so Vida it is! Alone on the trail except for a raven... Something awe inspiring and spiritual about this place. BEAUTIFUL

Wed Aug 22 2018

It’s the fast version of the Petroglyphs. Maybe a dozen or so to see on the way to the top. View at the top is of local neighborhood and businesses. Only recommend if you’re trying to see some carvings and don’t have much time.

Fri Aug 10 2018

Many petroglyphs here. Very interesting. Before I went there I thought these petroglyphs were created in thousands years before, but actually there were created for only hundreds years. I'm think is it possible that these petroglyphs are doodles of ancient children?

Sun Aug 05 2018

There are parts of this walk that are accessible for people with disabilities. it is a nice way to get a few petroglyphs and views of Albuquerque if you have just a few minutes. I would definitely call this a walk, not a hike. It is a nice visit with small children or people with mobility issues.

Wed Jul 18 2018

This trail is good if you only have a short length of time, or you don’t normally hike. I find the petroglyphs amazing to see, but it’s also very disappointing to see how much the rocks have been defaced.

Fri Jul 06 2018

Nice easy climb and hike. Lots of Petroglyphs and wildlife.

Thu Jun 21 2018

lots of petroglyphs along this trail to see. Great experience, just be ready for the heat. With the volcanic rock being black and no tree around it gets a little rough on a summer day.

Mon May 28 2018

We were able to do this adventure w/my dad on his cane & my son. The petroglyphs were beautiful and easy to see when on the main path. Once on top it was worth it and wonderful view of mountains & the local area. So glad it is preserved!