Black Rock Hot Springs is a 0.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Arroyo Hondo, New Mexico that features hot springs and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 0.3 miles Elevation Gain: 68 feet Route Type: Out & Back

hot springs

This little natural hot spring is gorgeous. I think the main pool is washed out, but the side one still remains. There were several other people there finishing out tourist season so we’ll probably try to go back once it’s a little less populated. The area around the hot springs is really pretty to explore with lots of other options for semi-private swimming holes if you don’t mind a cold swim. The hot springs were ~100 degrees when we were there.

Hot springs were pretty wiped out because the river was really rushing- I’m assuming because we got a decent amount of snow this winter and it’s melting. And looked like a rockslide might have come though-someone was there when I arrived and said this. I will definitely try again in the summer/fall if I can make it back.

Beautiful, somewhat rocky getting down and back up, and the road getting there was treacherous at parts. But totally worth it, with amazing springs right at the river. The sun goes away later in the day so definitely get there earlier if you can. Also there was a rattlesnake in the big well so stick to the springs that are easy to get into!

I would echo the comment about “no kids”. Rocky entrance to the springs and very slippery. Additionally, Birthday suits were worn by many. The views of the river are breathtaking. My dog had a great time climbing and splashing. Relaxed in the hot springs with my boyfriend for about an hour. Wonderful experience. The pools are warm enough to be comfortable, but not too hot to make you sweat. We were sore from hiking Lobo Peak the day before. Great way to end our vacation.

Thursday, August 16, 2018

not good for kids! I mean I think if your kids are experienced hikers and rock scramblers they may be ok. I did it last month with children ages 3-6 and the scramble down to the pools was really challenging for them. Also, this being New Mexico, fellow hikers and hot spring users may be in various stages of undress- so there is that to consider. Not necessarily a problem, but it's worth mentioning. the drive to the hot springs was pretty tricky as well. All this to say- it's a beautiful spot! The river gorge is a stunning place for a soak and a rock scramble.

Tuesday, July 17, 2018

The hot springs are amazing. Last 1/4 mile from road is not an easy trail but totally worth it. Don’t miss the cave half way.

Saturday, March 31, 2018

amazing experience and very relaxing. left pool was freezing but the right pool was really warm.

Saturday, February 24, 2018

Now three pools. Overall excellent, not too busy, short and easy hike down from switchback, and exceptionally warm (just shy of hot tub hot). Look for cave above.

Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Water was pretty warm and the views were great! Any visitors PLEASE pick up your trash. It’s sad to see beer cans floating in the water.

Thursday, November 09, 2017

Easy walk down to the river... not a perfect path but short and doable :) The views, and warm water were soothing for sure!

Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Nice short walk from the TH. Very busy that day, so we parked at the John Dunn bridge and walked up to the start of the trail. Lots of folks enjoying the hot springs today.

Wednesday, November 09, 2016

Really easy short trail, and absolutely gorgeous hot springs. We went 11/8/16 and the water was warm, not hot (we only stayed 40 mins), but still marvelous. Had the place to ourselves for sunrise. Note: if you're like me and love natural places bring a trash bag! Unfortunately people leave trash and we wished we coulda picked up more

Sunday, July 08, 2018