Black Rock Hot Springs is a 0.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Arroyo Hondo, New Mexico that features hot springs and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

hot springs

Beautiful, somewhat rocky getting down and back up, and the road getting there was treacherous at parts. But totally worth it, with amazing springs right at the river. The sun goes away later in the day so definitely get there earlier if you can. Also there was a rattlesnake in the big well so stick to the springs that are easy to get into!

I would echo the comment about “no kids”. Rocky entrance to the springs and very slippery. Additionally, Birthday suits were worn by many.

The views of the river are breathtaking. My dog had a great time climbing and splashing. Relaxed in the hot springs with my boyfriend for about an hour. Wonderful experience. The pools are warm enough to be comfortable, but not too hot to make you sweat.
We were sore from hiking Lobo Peak the day before. Great way to end our vacation.

not good for kids!

I mean I think if your kids are experienced hikers and rock scramblers they may be ok. I did it last month with children ages 3-6 and the scramble down to the pools was really challenging for them. Also, this being New Mexico, fellow hikers and hot spring users may be in various stages of undress- so there is that to consider. Not necessarily a problem, but it's worth mentioning.

the drive to the hot springs was pretty tricky as well.

All this to say- it's a beautiful spot! The river gorge is a stunning place for a soak and a rock scramble.

The hot springs are amazing. Last 1/4 mile from road is not an easy trail but totally worth it. Don’t miss the cave half way.

amazing experience and very relaxing. left pool was freezing but the right pool was really warm.

Now three pools. Overall excellent, not too busy, short and easy hike down from switchback, and exceptionally warm (just shy of hot tub hot). Look for cave above.

Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Water was pretty warm and the views were great! Any visitors PLEASE pick up your trash. It’s sad to see beer cans floating in the water.

Thursday, November 09, 2017

Easy walk down to the river... not a perfect path but short and doable :)
The views, and warm water were soothing for sure!

Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Nice short walk from the TH. Very busy that day, so we parked at the John Dunn bridge and walked up to the start of the trail. Lots of folks enjoying the hot springs today.

Wednesday, November 09, 2016

Really easy short trail, and absolutely gorgeous hot springs. We went 11/8/16 and the water was warm, not hot (we only stayed 40 mins), but still marvelous. Had the place to ourselves for sunrise.
Note: if you're like me and love natural places bring a trash bag! Unfortunately people leave trash and we wished we coulda picked up more

Saturday, August 12, 2017