Learn more

Black Rock Hot Springs is a 0.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Arroyo Hondo, New Mexico that features hot springs and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 0.3 miles Elevation Gain: 68 feet Route Type: Out & Back

hot springs

Please pick up your trash people

We went Wednesday morning and had the place to ourselves! the road was in good condition with some snow and mud. with an AWD vehicle youll be more than fine getting there! truly ove this spot! easy hike, beautiful views, and the hot springs are exactly what you need after a day of skiing taos valley or just to relax along the Rio Grande!

just really perfect really accessible really beautifully next to the rio grande warm waters to soak some bones. Easy easy.

This destination did not disappoint! We went on a Monday so there was less people here, but saw people of all ages and abilities do this short, easy hike. From a mom with a baby on her back to a family with young kids to folks in their 30s and 40s who are new to hiking. Hot spring closest to gorge wall was warmest and mostly shapely in the afternoon. A very reasonable 90 degrees I’d say. Warm enough to jump in the rio grande for a quick cold plunge. The views were amazing, some folks naked, some in their undies, but very respectful by asking the group of ok w nudity. Would defo recommend with at least 2 hours to soak. We didn’t want to leave.

bag stolen here from top of van and a window broken too while we were here. easy trail, beautiful area. only one pool out of two were hot and very crowded on monday.

Relatively easy scramble down to the hot springs. A few large rocks to climb over, but this 62 yo got down there and enjoyed the 100 degree water. Highly recommend.

Trail was super easy. The gorge is beautiful. The hot springs are tiny and only one is hot. Great for a short trip if you don’t want a long or difficult hike.

This little natural hot spring is gorgeous. I think the main pool is washed out, but the side one still remains. There were several other people there finishing out tourist season so we’ll probably try to go back once it’s a little less populated. The area around the hot springs is really pretty to explore with lots of other options for semi-private swimming holes if you don’t mind a cold swim. The hot springs were ~100 degrees when we were there.

Mon May 06 2019

Hot springs were pretty wiped out because the river was really rushing- I’m assuming because we got a decent amount of snow this winter and it’s melting. And looked like a rockslide might have come though-someone was there when I arrived and said this. I will definitely try again in the summer/fall if I can make it back.

Tue Dec 25 2018

Beautiful, somewhat rocky getting down and back up, and the road getting there was treacherous at parts. But totally worth it, with amazing springs right at the river. The sun goes away later in the day so definitely get there earlier if you can. Also there was a rattlesnake in the big well so stick to the springs that are easy to get into!

Tue Oct 23 2018

I would echo the comment about “no kids”. Rocky entrance to the springs and very slippery. Additionally, Birthday suits were worn by many. The views of the river are breathtaking. My dog had a great time climbing and splashing. Relaxed in the hot springs with my boyfriend for about an hour. Wonderful experience. The pools are warm enough to be comfortable, but not too hot to make you sweat. We were sore from hiking Lobo Peak the day before. Great way to end our vacation.

Thu Aug 16 2018

not good for kids! I mean I think if your kids are experienced hikers and rock scramblers they may be ok. I did it last month with children ages 3-6 and the scramble down to the pools was really challenging for them. Also, this being New Mexico, fellow hikers and hot spring users may be in various stages of undress- so there is that to consider. Not necessarily a problem, but it's worth mentioning. the drive to the hot springs was pretty tricky as well. All this to say- it's a beautiful spot! The river gorge is a stunning place for a soak and a rock scramble.

Tue Jul 17 2018

The hot springs are amazing. Last 1/4 mile from road is not an easy trail but totally worth it. Don’t miss the cave half way.

Sat Mar 31 2018

amazing experience and very relaxing. left pool was freezing but the right pool was really warm.

Sat Feb 24 2018

Now three pools. Overall excellent, not too busy, short and easy hike down from switchback, and exceptionally warm (just shy of hot tub hot). Look for cave above.

Wed Nov 22 2017

Water was pretty warm and the views were great! Any visitors PLEASE pick up your trash. It’s sad to see beer cans floating in the water.

Thu Nov 09 2017

Easy walk down to the river... not a perfect path but short and doable :) The views, and warm water were soothing for sure!

Wed Aug 16 2017

Nice short walk from the TH. Very busy that day, so we parked at the John Dunn bridge and walked up to the start of the trail. Lots of folks enjoying the hot springs today.

Wed Nov 09 2016

Really easy short trail, and absolutely gorgeous hot springs. We went 11/8/16 and the water was warm, not hot (we only stayed 40 mins), but still marvelous. Had the place to ourselves for sunrise. Note: if you're like me and love natural places bring a trash bag! Unfortunately people leave trash and we wished we coulda picked up more