Black Range Crest Trail

Black Range Crest Trail is a 18.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mimbres, New Mexico that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from April until October.

Beautiful trail! Past the lookout tower, the trail is nearly impossible to follow. Attempted to hike about a half mile past it, due to down trees, and overgrown trails, had to turn back and decided to make it a day trip (11 RT). Also I'm not sure this trail to the junction is 18.7 but more around 22 miles. After talking with the ranger, he was very skeptical that it was 4 more miles past the lookout to the McKnight Road junction, and judging by the map we reviewed, I'd agree.

We only went a few miles in, so I can't review the entire trail, but the section we were on was very well maintained and clearly marked. It follows a small stream that was lovely. The only thing I missed was wildlife - in a review of another Gila trail I saw someone mention that the undergrowth has not grown back enough since the fire to see much wildlife - we definitely missed seeing deer, rabbits, etc but hopefully they will return in time.

If Gila Cliff trail is a 5, I made this a 3 because the creek isn't as lush. We only went in 1.5 miles but since no one has posted any comments I thought I would. Well maintained and we didn't get our feet wet at any of the crossings which we appreciated because parts of it are flash flood areas. Thank you volunteers and Parks Service! Saw many flowers and about 1/4-1/2 of the trees were burned which made a different kind of beauty. Didn't see anyone on the trail but we hiked mid week the first week in May.