Learn more

Black Canyon Trail is a 1.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Santa Fe, New Mexico that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.6 miles Elevation Gain: 403 feet Route Type: Loop

great!

It is indeed a short trail, but my wife and I (mid-50s) thought it was decently challenging, with a significant portion of it going up pretty steadily. We thought it would be a good hike for kids, who don't have the desire for a long "boring" hike. It's a lovely trail, especially if you're interested in local plant life. In 1.3 miles we saw and enjoyed a WIDE variety of plants. We camped (with our RV) at the Black Canyon campground, and having this trail just right there was very nice.

An absolutely lovely, easy walk in the woods. Makes me want to get an RV so I can camp in the campsite! Just a quiet walk through the pine & aspens. There's a little climb, but not much for this part of the country.

Beautiful trail, perfect for anyone staying in the campground. Nice easy trek for anyone with puppy dogs or kiddos. You can’t go wrong with any hike you take in this area. If you are looking for a quick hike then this is a great go-to!

If you just do the loop then it is not a favorite to me. It is quiet. The campground was closed, so we saw only one person. If we come back then we will continue half way and explore more.

This isn’t much of a hiking trail really - about 2 miles roundtrip if you park in the lot and walk around the campground to the trailhead. Not much to see, but an easy walk. Would be good for trail running and dog walking, or doing a loop if camping there.

The trailhead is located next to Campsite 24. It’s a short lovely hike with a mild incline through a pine forest. When you get to a fork in the trail and continue straight ahead instead of following the arrow for the loop, you’ll be on another trail. After a few minutes on this trail, you’ll be rewarded with some breathtaking views. Be aware that some people think this trail is a dog park. We ran into a group of 5-6 idiots who were crowding the trail on both sides and these women were not practicing social distancing for whatever reason and they also had 5-6 angry little aggressive dogs who were unleashed and lunged at us. There were others on this trail who also had dogs off their leash.

lovely hike through pine forests. shady. initial incline moderately strenuous but then levels out. if you ignore the arrow pointing you back towards the loop, and continue onwards, there are some truly epic views and more (heavily) strenuous hikes in the backside. fantastic adventure, you can make a whole day of it!

recorded Black Canyon Trail

icy

Quick loop!

Short and sweet trail that will still get your blood pumping.

This was the 2nd hike of day 1 in my 5 day camping trip. Very nice hike to end my day. This type of forest scenery is my favorite.

Lovely short hike with gentle elevation. Walked it in less than an hour.

Lovely short hike with mild elevation.

Great little trail for morning hike

Great shady trail. Easy with kids. No expansive views but beautiful trees.

Enjoyed this hike. A good intro to hiking at elevation for an out of town era (like me). A steady incline from the walk up to the trail head from Car park & first half of hike. A nice, shaded walk. Lovely trees & wildflowers. You have to walk through the campground to get to the trailhead.

Sat Jun 22 2019

Gorgeous hike and perfect for children. Pretty busy though.

Sun May 05 2019

Quaint little morning stroll. Easy and well marked. Woodpeckers were going bonkers.

Sat May 04 2019

Park at the bottom of the camp ground, then walk up through the camp ground to get to the the trail head. First half of the loop is all up hill, and then downhill on the way back. When you get to the top of the loop, you can head south and it will take you to the ridge up a more difficult climb, with some rewarding views. I had my 4 and 5 year old kiddos with me and they did great even up the extended version of the hike.

Wed May 01 2019

Great easy hike through the woods. Great for warming up at the beginning of the season or an early morning hike with your coffee if your camping.

Mon Apr 22 2019

This shady trail was an easy hike and would be great for children or dogs. There are bathrooms around the trailhead. We arrived around ten in the morning on Saturday and we barely passed anyone but as the day progressed more people were going up. The path is well marked. Surprisingly, there was a big icy patch at the top which could be carefully avoided.

Mon Jan 14 2019

So peaceful in the snow. Didn’t pass a single other person until I got almost back to my car. Lovely hike to get a little exercise and some fresh air.

Thu Jan 03 2019

We just did the trail loop with fresh powder snow. Although it's a continuous walk uphill, it is a gentle slope and the trail is surrounded by trees. We found only a few people in the trail. We could enjoy the solitude and tranquility that you can only find during the winter season.

Fri Aug 10 2018

Wonderful short, heavily wooded trail that’s great for kids. There are some sections with a steep drop off next to the trail so we ended up holding the hand of our 4 year old just for added security during these, but overall a beautiful family friendly hike. There’s free parking on the left right after you turn into the entrance of Blake Canyon camping area. You then need to hike to the back of the camp where the trail starts. It’s probably a 1/4 mile hike to the TH. There aren’t a lot of views through the trees, but the trees themselves are so amazing. If you go right at the trail fork the incline isn’t as steep, but the descent down the left fork can be a bit unnerving.

Tue Apr 17 2018

We walked the loop today in high wind conditions. Did not meet anyone and the weather was good. Easy trail. Not a lot to see but it was still enjoyable. Nice little 2+ mile loop.

Sun Jan 28 2018

Good short trail out of town. I wore my 5-months old baby and I hiked with my over 70yo dad. Easy hike. It can be snowy at winter.

Mon Nov 13 2017

Good climb beyond the loop. Nice view at the top.

Sat Jul 22 2017

Great beginners trail. I took my dog and we enjoyed the scenery and cooler weather.

Fri Jul 21 2017

Beautiful, easy, shady. Perfect!

Mon May 15 2017

Easy to hike, easy to get to. Beautiful aspens and pines. Perfect afternoon getaway from Santa Fe.