Bisti Badlands Trail is a 5.5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Newcomb, New Mexico that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.5 miles Elevation Gain: 213 feet Route Type: Loop

historic site

Great hike. I highly recommend you download the map before you go because the trails aren’t marked at all and it’s easy to get lost.

Amazing intro to Bisti. Make this your first hike. Can’t camp here due to COVID precautions right now so head north to Wings trailhead for primitive camping.

First off, yes!! This spot is amazing!! However, someone should mention that the road to get to the parking lot is super dodgy. I drive a Subaru but there’s a spot by the church where we lost the road and it looked impassable. We ended up parking behind the church and walking a mile to the parking lot. Though after we crossed the fence we saw that the road is actually passable. Feel like others might want to know this because we almost gave up. Happy exploring! We got lost a million times trying to follow the map so didn’t get to do the whole thing but still a great experience and so neat!

Such a magical place! There is no trail heads so make sure to download a map ahead of time, and bring water. Keep in mind - no restrooms, so plan ahead. Very easy hike, minimal scrambling. Lots to see!

Great place to explore. No trails just open to go anywhere. If you do get lost just follow the wash and it will lead you back to the parking lot. Also very dusty when windy. BLM So you are able to camp. Have fun! Nice and quite.

Fantastic hike and endless exploring.

My favorite trail in this region of the Badlands. Between Ah-shi-Sle-Pah, Bisti and De-Na-Zin, there are so many options to choose from. Each offers a unique landscape with it's fair share of well known formations. I finally narrowed down to this trail, knowing that some of the best pictures I've seen of the Badlands come from here. Among these formations that are a must see in my opinion is the Bisti Wings formation and the alien eggs. the trail leading to the Bisti Wings begins easy, following the wash out of the parking area east. Eventually the terrain gets more hilly as you meander through a sea of hoodoos and ravines to reach the Wings. This part would be easy to get lost in without a GPS signal. there are many foot prints in the ground that you could follow if that did transpire. on the day we hiked, the weather was really cloudy and I considered us very fortunate. if it had been a fully exposed day, I would have skipped the Wings and gone straight for the alien eggs. They are the most impressive formation I have seen in quite a while. The texture of the rocks is very unique and it's worth hiking out to even on a hot day. In total the hike to the eggs and back would be just shy of 3 miles. Navigation is very easy, just follow the wash all the way to the marked location. Next time I'm in the region, I'm bringing overnight gear to pack in and camp among the formations.

Bisti was lovely. Well marked trailhead and parking. No service for the last several miles leading up to it and no service on trails. We hopped around off the beaten path. Dog friendly. Some wildlife around if you sit still long enough. Dramatic views. Mostly easy hiking, with some slides on loose rock.

An absolutely amazing place to hike and enjoy. There are so many things to do here. The slot canyons here are a lot of fun, however it’s like a playground. As you hike around, you will find petrified forest, the most unusual rocks you’ve ever seen, mud formations, hoodoos, Badlands, and so much more. We spent two days here and couldn’t get enough of this place.

I enjoy going year round. Great place to just wonder and discover. Just makes sure you have a gps. I had to help a couple navigate out today. Plus, pack a warm drink if out exploring in the cold. You need to know that there’s much more to see than just the cracked eggs. Check out my last reading of some great other landscapes at Bisti. Note: You woun find the “King of Wing” here at Bisti. The giant wing is located near Chaco Canyon.

wandering around another planet.

Great trail to get lost in a unworldly environment. Be cautious if you directly follow the trail it will having you doing some climbing on soft terrain with plenty of areas to roll a ankle. I mostly used the map to locate points of interest and as a safety net to make it back to the parking lot. Really unique place that doesnt really have trails just open space to adventure.

Got there on cool windy day. Decided to just have fun walking on the moon. You can make this an easy walk or add moderate inclines. Within the first mile you can keep site of parking lot so not to worry about getting lost. Want to go back when not so windy.

recorded Bisti Badlands Trail

I did not begin my hike at the parking lot, instead took a dirt road behind a nearby church just up the road on 371 headed north. On Google Maps the road is listed as Rd 7293. Can’t miss it, only church sign on the road in that area. Start along the fence line until you see the formations. I had no problem finding my way back at night with a headlamp, just looked to the north for the wash and followed back to fence line. Defiantly recommend an early and evening hike. Rock formations out of this world, literally. Not my first time hiking Bisit and won’t be my last. Just the first time I’ve recorded my trail. Enjoy and leave no trace. Side note: If you are looking to see the cracked eggs and petrified wood, stick to the primary parking lot everyone post about. It’s quicker to get to.