Bernardo Waterfowl Tour is a 2.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near La Joya, New Mexico that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, bird watching, and off road driving.

Distance: 2.7 miles Elevation Gain: 6 feet Route Type: Loop

ohv / off road driving

From I-25 take exit 175 east (Bernardo exit) - and quickly look for the north outer road (NM 116) on the east side of I-25 and take it for about 3.75 miles. On the east side of the road there will be a brown sign for the Ladd S. Gordon Waterfowl area. Turn east and drive straight over the tracks and soon you will see a large black arch gate. The loop starts straight ahead and signs will tell you how to proceed and where you are not supposed to go.

Pretty trail, lots of greenery and great birdwatching. The trail is flat and easy. Everything is really well maintained and there are two pit toilets along the trail. The signage is very clear. Some areas don’t have shade, so bring a hat. There were gnats in some places, but once the breeze kicked up we were fine.

Besides the mosquitos the trail is real nice. My sister and I will definitely return for a run.

Mon Apr 24 2017

I am assuming this place is a wonderful place for birding during winter migration, as the signs in the park explain. The "trail" is a ~3 mile loop meant for driving(15mph) or hiking and is flat terrain with little shade. There are some small trails with viewing platforms for bird watching along the way, as well as plenty of places for picnicking and outdoor bathrooms, as well. I know I came in off season but saw some killdeer, roadrunner and wrens!

Wed Dec 28 2011

I really enjoy this area. It has good bird viewing without the crowds and you are able to be closer to the birds here, so you can get better pictures even with a nominal camera.

Mon Mar 20 2017