Baylor Canyon Pass via Baylor Canyon Road

Baylor Canyon Pass via Baylor Canyon Road is a 6.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Las Cruces, New Mexico that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 6.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,548 feet Route Type: Out & Back

High desert ascent to a mountain pass.

The trail was beautiful. we traveled in late December when there was snow and wind. the end of the trail was extremely windy and cold, but very beautiful.

beautiful day on the trail. weather was perfect!

Friends and I hike this trail often. We see cows, rattlesnakes, and tarantulas. The desert flora are SHARP, so wear thick hiking boots. My friend wore trail-running shoes and had her foot punctured. We reach the plateau-like summit, marked by a camp fire circle, and returned in about 3 hours. Summer hikes are HOT so bring a CamelBak. I drank 2 litres of water. Be careful of hiking this trail during windy conditions in the late autumn. Wind gusts at the top caused us to lose our balance!

Great hike for December. Easier on the knees than a lot of mountain hikes.

We went in December, and the weather was perfect. It took us 3.5 hours.

Great trail but I encountered two rattlesnakes (both angry and loud) within .25 miles of the trailhead - on December 1st! It freaked me out and although the entire time I thought, "I gotta come back and do the whole thing someday," I don't think I will now.

First of all, this is a 2-bottle water hike in long pants and light boots. Not a hike for sneakers / shorts or without water. The first mile is almost flat desert walking. Then starting at the first rocky knoll, the next half mile of trail (to the bench) is rocky and can be easy to wander off of. But it is also easy to recover the trail. The trail and views are great after the bench. Note that 200 yards after the bench is an amazing vista/view overlooking the valley. A great lunch spot, it’s just a short spur to the right off the main trail and easy to find. Overall a strenuous hike because of footing, there is no shade at all, but it is not overly steep. Deer, roadrunners, and quail are quite common.

This a great hike. I hiked up and over starting at Aguirre Springs. While on our hike, the views were awesome. We saw tarantulas, roadrunners, lizards and plenty of signs of wildlife. I recommend carrying plenty of water and using hiking sticks...

awesome hike 8miles total and 4hours and 10 min.

Very nice trail. Got rained out had to run back Dropped my Bose headphone. If found lemme kno please lol 575 222 3983

When I first started hiking, this was tough. Now, it’s just an exercise day. Nice views at the top of White Sands Military base and Aguirre Springs.

It is a very long trail, not hard at all. The slope isn’t pronounced. When you get to the top is not a peak, it looks like a base camp from the peak. Bring plenty of water since it’s long and food as well.

Hiked to the top of Baylor Peak on 5/14. Temperature was about 80F. The trail up to the pass is easy and gains 1,400 feet in about 3.5 miles. From there to the summit it is less than a mile but you have to climb another 1,400 feet on a rather rough trail. Bring lots of water and start hiking early. Great views from the summit, well worth the effort.

The first mile or so is just hiking out to the base of the mountains. It’s the ‘long haul’ of the whole trail in my opinion. Not much to look at , but there are tons of horny roads, lizards, cows, birds. Once you get to the base it gets more interesting as far as things to see and touch. There is a bench about a mile and a half out from the trail head after you start ascending up the mountain. And I even seen a ‘Baylor canyon primitive camping’ sign that was WAAY up there and there was a campsite off to the right. I’ll definitely be camping up there very soon. Great hike though I didn’t get to make it to the top. Almost!

Great hike!

Always beautiful, this time mid April great with flowers, cacti, yuccas all blooming. Saw one rattlesnake to the side of the trail

Thu Jan 17 2019

Had a great hike, even went a ways to the peak since we were there. Great views and poodle had a great time.

Sat Jan 05 2019

We had originally planned to hike up to the Needle until the trail got too snowy but the government shutdown precluded us from making that hike. We quickly chose to make this hike and we did not regret it. This trail is great in the winter months with low temperatures, snow on the trail, and less people. It is a good amount of elevation gain to get the blood pumping but nothing to strenuous for a frequent hiker. We took 4:15 from start to finish while stopping a number of time to take pictures and a little lunch at the top of the pass. I would say you could easily complete it in 3 hours, if you didn't stop. There was quite a bit of snow and ice on the trail when getting closer to the top but nothing that made it difficult. We brought our dog with us and she did great. She is a small Boston Terrier. I would definitely suggest this hike to anyone looking for something that get you to a view point that isn't too tough in the Organ Mountains.

Sat Jan 05 2019

wear snow boots! nice view at the top!

Wed Dec 19 2018

Amazing views at the saddle. Definitely one of my favorites in the Organs

Sat Nov 17 2018

Beautiful views, great for dogs!