Baylor Canyon Pass via Baylor Canyon Road

Baylor Canyon Pass via Baylor Canyon Road is a 6.3 mile out and back trail located near Las Cruces, New Mexico that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

High desert ascent to a mountain pass.

Beautiful trail

First time here and it couldn’t have been better! Easy enough my wife and mother finished it, yet challenging enough that my cousin and I were able to enjoy it. We went at two different paces which makes it great for all levels of experience.

The trail was interesting, flowering Cacti and stunning rock formations and desert landscape. Was mostly in the sun the entire hike which was as noted: moderate, it was long for me as I am not an avid hiker. Never saw rattlesnake or much of any wildlife creatures, beetles...heard an owl and until I returned near to the parking lot, was greeted by cows' and a bull blocking, for a moment... the path. Some areas of the hike slowed me down as it was more difficult terrain, and on the way back lost the trail but after testing a few I found my way. at what I understood to be the end of the trail, A flat area with beautiful views overlooking the White Sands base and beyond as well Las Cruces and beyond. I noticed somewhat of a trail continuing up to a higher peak and I attempted to follow, I got about 3/4 of the way up it and had to throw in the towel... UGH ! I slid coming down and scraped myself up abit. The trail going back was not much faster as it is gravelly and cumbersome. I only rested about 15 minutes the entire trail... I started at 1:20 and returned at 7:40, I'm 61 and in So-so shape...I brought fruit and water, found a hiking stick along the way. Binoculars would have been nice. Wear a hat and use Sunscreen. cell phone worked always-Verizon anyway.

Update to my review from last weekend: today we hiked from the Baylor Canyon Trailhead on the Las Cruces side (west side) over to the Baylor Canyon Trailhead on the Aguirre Springs side (east side). We drove a car and left it in the parking lot at Aguirre Springs and then drove back to the west side of the mountains to commence the hike. Absolutely amazing hike. It took us about 4 hours, but we had our 10 year old with us, so it could be done quicker. The peak is absolutely incredible. This is such a beautiful trail. I recommend taking at least a large water bottle per person and taking a break to have some lunch at the peak. As I mentioned in my last review, wear lots of sunscreen because you are directly in the sun almost the entire hike. Also, we did this hike the last weekend of March and it was really warm. I would not do this hike during the summer months because of the extreme heat and lack of shade. Love this hike!!!

Trail is easy to follow, not too hard, not too easy! Beautiful at the top! Be sure to take a bottle of water per person, we hiked in last of March.

Easy hike but also one of the best in the area! The stunning scenery in the canyon exemplifies the beauty of the desert landscape in the area. Not too crowded. On a beautiful day, we passed only a few other hikers and one individual on horseback. Next time we do this hike we are planning to hike from Aguirre Springs, over the peak, and down to the Baylor Canyon Trailhead. We went in Mid-March and the temps could not have been better, but it gets windy up at the top, but not too windy that I ever even put on my light jacket (tank top was sufficient). Also, don’t forget the sunscreen as this hike is almost completely in the sun.

I took a friend along who was new to hiking and a heavy smoker. He was able to handle this hike. I would classify this as EASY as opposed to MODERATE.

The view is nice and there is some good shade, but the wind was intense! All in all, a good easy hike in beautiful country. Good for a casual stroll.

Wonderful trail with great & varied views.

Hike was great! Directly in the sun, so make sure you are able to have light clothing on, even in December.

Really nice hike up the West side from Baylor Canyon Rd to the ridge crest and back down. Left car at 8:30 and returned about 1:15. Ate lunch at the top, enjoying the views into both valleys. passed by a few trail runners. Saw a few other hikers, one couple coming over the Gap from the East side with a car at both ends of the trail. Wish I had that option, but as a solo business traveler that wasn't an option for me. Stopped often to take a lot of photos. Hot dry trail today but I carried plenty of water

Sunday, March 12, 2017

Nice easy track.

Sunday, July 24, 2016

This was a lot of fun. Great trail to do with a group of friends.

Sunday, May 15, 2016

This is a nice trail and its well maintained, Nice views of Las Cruces as well as the Alamogordo area once you are on top. It was very windy on top when I was there ( about 35-40mile ) so bring a wind breaker , you never know .

Wednesday, March 23, 2016

I really enjoyed this trail-had a perfect day for some hiking and enjoying God's creation.

Saturday, January 23, 2016

Great trail. A little rocky and steep between 1.5-3mi, but easy enough. Tons of picnic spots. Excited to do the entire pass next weekend.

Monday, December 14, 2015

East approach to Baylor pass is preferred. Take two cars and at least one friend. Heading west from Las Cruces, park one car at the Baylor Pass trail head at the base of the Eastern slope. Then all parties get into one car and travel over the mountain and to Aguirre Springs. Register your vehicle, sign in at the trail head by the little horse corral and embark on a one-way hike from Aguirre Springs back to the first vehicle. Yes, you will have to return to Aguirre Springs Recreation area to get back to your shuttle vehicle. However, a nice picnic and a campfire to come back to make this a hike to remember.

Saturday, November 14, 2015

One of my favorites in the area. The views are great! Lots of rock on both sides of the mountain. Be sure to set up you shuttle unless you are going up and over both ways. It's fun to go right after a storm because all the springs are running.

Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Hiked to the top from the west trailhead in two hours and the return in about an hour and a half. At 74YOA IT GAVE ME ALL I WANTED. Good trail for a reasonably experienced hiker. Watch for snakes in the summertime and carry adequate water. This was at least my third hike up this trail one being a training hike for Boy Scouts going to Philmont. Wind was blowing 40-50mph at the top so didn't tarry. Found a Geocache at the top.

Sunday, July 12, 2015

Not as scenic as Pine Tree trail, but you get greater length and accessibility to Baylor peak :) .

Monday, January 19, 2015

The trail is not shown on map.

Friday, October 31, 2014

We arrived in Las Cruces after a torrential rain storm but decided the trail would be fine the next morning. It could not have been any more perfect! So many springs were running, the air was fresh, the temperature stayed very pleasant. We did the Pass trail (6 miles) from the campground on the White Sands side, up and over to the Las Cruces side. There is never any serious altitude gain making for a easy hike. We stopped many times for photos and took our time at water crossings. The trail was a bit overgrown but beautiful and green. Lizards were plentiful and only saw one snake. Can't wait to get back to hike it again!

Sunday, September 07, 2014

The path to the saddle from the west side (Baylor Canyon Road) is pretty easy to follow. The trail just kind of disappears as you near the end (Aguirre Springs). Beautiful vistas at the saddle.

Friday, July 18, 2014

Excellent hike, great views!!!

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Just got down after doing the westside trail in about 3h with my dog but did jog , so an easy trail with somr good elevation gain and for a good distance.

Highly recommend it for experienced hikers/trail runners as an endurance workout and for novices as a good trail to break-in those hiking boots you received on Christmas!

Sunday, October 06, 2013

Great easy hike! Perfect time to hike; cooler temperatures and abundant wildflowers. The trail is rocky in some parts.

Friday, June 28, 2013

Be prepared for the blazing sun for most of the hike. Great views at the top.

Sunday, November 04, 2012

Great hike,,good views...know your weather an take plenty of water...

Friday, July 01, 2011

Great workout! I do this one weekly as it is the least crowded. The altitude is great for viewing around the valley on both sides of the range.