Atalaya Mountain Trail

Atalaya Mountain Trail is a 5.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Santa Fe, New Mexico that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

NOTE: As of June 1, 2018, the Santa Fe National Park is CLOSED to ALL PUBLIC ACCESS. Changes will only be made when dry conditions improve. This is a short day hike from St. Johns College trail head east side of the city of Santa Fe, NM into the edge of the Santa Fe National forest.

Note that this trail has been reopened. However, when we were headed to the trailhead via Wilderness Gate this morning at 7, neighbors driving by told us they had seen a large bear at the base of the mountain along the road, so we played it safe and hiked Picacho instead.

We hiked to the top and the views were great. We stayed on the correct path and took the easier route up but steep route back down. Both my wife’s phone and my tracker had our distance at 8.2 miles. This is well above the 5.8 listed miles so if you are looking for a short hike this is not it. Good trail though.

This was a great trail with plenty of up! The views from the top are worth it. The trail numbers switch from 174 to 170 as you reach the power lines. We took the harder route up and the easier down. There was an offshoot trail that takes you up to a lookout on the easy side. Take lots of water.

One of our favorite hikes in Santa Fe. Some of the best views in the area but you have to work for them.

We are fairly new to hiking and found the trail quite strenuous towards the top. Was able to make it to the summit in about 2.5 hours with many short breaks along the way. GPS Said 8 miles so if you are new to hiking and looking for an easy hike this may not be the trail for you.

This is a great 6 mile out and back trail close to Santa Fe. It is strenuous so be aware of altitude (if visiting) and incline and be sure to bring plenty of water. It is popular therefore fairly busy but most hikers are courteous. There is a junction where you can by pass a steep grade and go around via an easier path. It is clearly marked “Steeper Way” and “Easier Way.” I suggest taking the “Easier Way” on the way up to conserve energy and taking the steeper route back down.
There is also a side jaunt called Atalaya Lookout Trail that is a loop shooting out to the south/southwest. It will add maybe .5-.75 miles to the journey if you want to take in that view.
Depending on your level of fitness or ability, it can take anywhere from 3.0-4.5 hours. Some are running it while others take multiple breaks and enjoy the gorgeous views of Santa Fe.

We hiked Picacho peak the other day while in Santa Fe, and really loved that trail. This hike is in the same area, not exactly part of the Dale Ball trail system, but it is still in very good condition. We started at the upper trailhead, where it guides you to mark post #43. This saved us about 1.5 miles total since we didn't start at the college parking trailhead. The beginning half is not too steep, though it is a constant steady climb. The last half is steeper, more rocky and consists of many switchbacks. It took us about 1.5 hours to reach the top, with a couple of stops to break and drink water(bring a good amount if it is a warm and sunny day).

The views from the top are quite beautiful, you don't get a great 360 panoramic view of everything, and there are a decent amount of trees at the top that block many views, but overall it was worth the 2.5 miles up. I would actually recommend doing the Picacho peak over this hike if you had to choose one over the other.

Close to town. Limited Parking at upper trail head. Went on a weekday morning and there was a moderate amount of people hiking. Beautiful scenery and great view from the top. Trail is well maintained and marked. I ended up walking down the opposite side of Atalaya Mountain to meet the Dale Ball trail, path was a little smaller with many off shoots. Didn't encounter anyone on that trail. lots of lizards. I did end up getting off the Dale Ball path and onto an unmarked but fairly well traveled path, but it connected up with Atalaya trail.

I good little work out. The views are just ok. Really convenient to Santa Fe so easy to pop in and out for a quick couple hour hike. Would give 4 for convenience, 3 for the hike itself.

Great trail !

Nicely marked trail with great views. It made for a very enjoyable afternoon hike.

Beautiful ridge to walk along top with great views. Just the right amount of challenge. I walked from the museums and it took 2 hrs to the top at moderate pace. If you need easier, half as high but also beautiful, sun mountain is great....more fellow hikers there.

Great hike

It’s a great trip with some amazing views. There’s an option to go a less steep path and it has some of the greatest views. We are pretty new to hiking and found it taxing but worthwhile.

Beautiful trail! Most of the trail is very easy, with wide, sandy trail. There are, however, several steep, rocky sections scattered throughout. Overall I would rate this trail as moderate. The views all along the trail are magnificent- not just at the summit!

Trail steep on way up. Very little snow not issue tho. Option to do steep or easier route. Great hike and don't have to drive significantly to trailhead. Only one other person in am mid week.

Morning hike in February- not too busy going up, but got busier heading down. About a 2 1/2 hour up and back. Great views from the top.

Awesome hike.

Hit this trail early Monday morning. There are a few other trails the spiderweb off this trail so make sure you watch the signs. Coming back down I got flipped around and ran the last mile on the road as the trail spit me out on a dirt road and I couldn’t see the connection on the other side. There was some snow at the top, not too bad and very manageable. I did follow a dead end towards the top and had to climb the steep hill and pine needles to connect back to the trail. Over all, good running trail. Great view at the top.

Nice trail and scenic. Not super exciting, but a great day hike for the Santa Fe area.

Meh. Close to town, but busy and limited views most of the way. Better options in the area if you are here for a limited time.

I was not thrilled at first with all the buildings blocking the natural scenery, but the further you go past the arroyo the more vast the landscape becomes. The further you go, the more you actually feel like you’re in nature.

Solid hike. Great views.

Great hike and nice view of Santa Fe

Made the trek to the top on 12/31/2017. Started at St. John’s College. It took about 2.5 hours to get to the top (I did a few other side trails) and about 30 min to get down. The view from the top was INCREDIBLE. The weather was perfect as there was no snow on the mountain yet. The trail is easy to follow, about half way up it splits between a “steep route” and “easier route”. I took steep up and easy down. There are breaks in the trees on the way up for pictures but the real view is at the summit. Perfect pano of the whole town. Highly recommended.

Moderate to difficult trail, great views, no water so plan ahead. Took us 2 3/4 hours round-trip, including a 15 mn break on top.

Good easy hike. Wear hiking shoes for loose footing. Great distance and super maintained trail. On the top, You only get to look South towards Town.

A really beautiful and challenging trail (but do-able). It took me nearly 3 hrs but I was recovering from an injury, so 2-2.5 is probably a better estimate. Parking is at St Johns College (you’ll see signs for the lot and the trail if you’re looking). No parking on side of the road/in neighborhood otherwise.

Lots of fun!

Nice trail with great views of Santa Fe. Moderately difficult on the ascent. I loved it.