Atalaya Mountain Trail

Atalaya Mountain Trail is a 5.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Santa Fe, New Mexico that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.8 miles Elevation Gain: 1,774 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This is a short day hike from St. Johns College trail head east side of the city of Santa Fe, NM into the edge of the Santa Fe National forest.

great trail! this was my first time. will be back

Trail has an option about halfway up for either a steeper climb that cuts straight up the mountain or run around the back side of the mountain,... giving more mileage. Altogether, a nice run, several strava segments connected as it approaches from St John’s below. The descent for the loop is rather steep initially and would require some technical running to navigate. Nice trail, was hoping for some more shade, but elevation not quite enough. Maybe would run again after doing all other trails near ski basin.

Great trail. The first 2 milers are the hardest/steepest then smooth sailing from there. Views from the top are awesome. Highly recommend

Really pleasant hike, a good acclimatization hike for an experienced and fit hiker, or a good challenge for somebody new. Departed TH 630a and was only person on trail until the peak. About 1:45 to summit. Recommend linking up to Picacho Peak and then down Dorothy Stewart Trail for a more challenging, four-hour jaunt.

Hiked the trail May 25th. Was a wonderful climb to the top. We parlayed the hike with extra miles to Picacho Peak and some snaking around in the Dale Ball trails. Can’t recommend enough!

Great hike and great views. It was a little bit of a struggle for us having come from Portland Oregon. We live at Sea level so it's taken us a bit to get used to the elevation. It does have a few steep spots but doable. We saw a few wild flowers and red cactus blooming. The clouds and cool wind came out just enough for us to feel at home.

This is a great trail made even better by easy access from almost anywhere in town. Parking looks like it could be tough on the weekends. I’m just in town for a few days and wanted to hit one good trail and this one seems hard to beat. The views from the top are amazing. Take the hard route and get a great workout (my lowland lungs got a serious workout!).

A lovely trail. We hiked on a Saturday and found this not to be as heavily trafficked as described. Although.....we live in a large city and our nearby trails are over taxed. This was not crowded in our opinion. A little difficult at the end but we are not used to the baseline elevation.

No snow as of April 27th, even at the top! Beautiful hike, took the steep way up and the easy way down to save my knees. Didn’t notice much of a time difference. Did the entire thing in about 3.5 hours

Beautiful, well maintained with great views, but busy.

A fun hike with a bit of steepness in the last third.

Great close to town hike. Really enjoyed it.

I took the "easy" route per the signs, which didn't show up at all on the app map. I wound up getting a little turned around on my way back, but it was a well-maintained trail and was mostly easy to follow. The first 2 miles are easy/moderate depending on your fitness level, the third mile is moderate/strenuous. If you have bad knees, that 4th mile coming back down may be uncomfortable. After that it's easy going back to the parking lot. A good mix of sun and shade and a nice view out over Santa Fe from the peak.

So beautiful. Definitely tiring but not too technical

Really nice hike. I parked in the college parking lot and got the trailhead from there. Trail was in great condition, and considering how close to town it is, there were very few people on the trail. This would be a great trail for running.

My new favorite “in town” trailhead and hike.

Probably my favorite trail in the local Santa Fe area so far. Fantastic views from the top, well worth the snow patches and the cold wind.

Amazing views at the top!

great hike. a bit strenuous near the top where it's steep with patches of snow. great views

Great hike! Stream crossings initially due to snowmelt. Took the strenuous option up the mountain, made more so by snow pack. Some slippery areas, would recommend yaktrax. Nice vista at the top. Definitely recommend this trail!

Great trail, not too difficult & has some great sights.

My wife and I hiked about 3/4ths before we turned around due to darkness. Nice hike through St. John’s College and the woods. We did get high to see a nice overlook. Definitely would hike again.

Kind of fucking hard. That said I’m glad I made it to the top and I’m glad I made it to the bottom. Great views from the top and Minnie great views on the way. That said I’m glad I made it back. You don’t think

Was a bit icey yesterday but still so beautiful and a nice hike :)

Beautiful!! Hiked this on Christmas Day ‘18 with friends. Nice to have some snow and great views. Turned around about just before the top, but still enjoyed it!

Great trail! Take the steeper, short route...it’s not too bad. Views are incredible at the top. You can come down the same way you came up but the trail connects to a bunch of other trails if you keep going. The signage on the other trails(Dale Ball trails, I believe) is great so you won’t get lost.

Fun trail for me and my dog. At times it can definitely get steep and slippery in the snow. If at all concerned, I would bring some yaktraxs. Luckily, my dog worked on pulling me down the mountain like my shoes were sleds. We ended up taking the Dale Ball trail back towards our car. Make sure you know how to get back to where you parked if you go back a different way since there are a lot of private lands and roads around here.

First off you have to bring your own whiskey. Second off byow (water). The trail starts out with fascinating foliage and scenic views. Although beware because there may or may not be an enormous aggressive snake running rampant through the trails. Later on, the trail begins to ascend about the same rate as a child’s playground slide although with slightly more igneous rock. You also may encounter feral badger as we had to remove one from a cholla cactus (see photo). If you choose to bring a metal detector, you will not be disappointed. We may or may not have buried some treasure ;) You’ll eventually reach a fork in the trail where you have to decide if you actually have aspirations in life or you are a total piece of trash that takes the easy way out. Be aware of various attire you may encounter on the trail (old man shorts). Make sure you are mentally prepared for that. Once you reach the the summit, enjoy your climax. Eat the Cheetos drink the whiskey and descend a new person with an optimistic view on life. This was truly life changing.

Nice trail! Great for anyone new to the area, well marked and a good amount of use. Little chilly once you get close to the summit. Water, hat, gloves. Great views of Santa Fe!