Atalaya Mountain Trail

Atalaya Mountain Trail is a 6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Santa Fe, New Mexico that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This is a short day hike from St. Johns College trail head east side of the city of Santa Fe, NM into the edge of the Santa Fe National forest.

Nice trail and scenic. Not super exciting, but a great day hike for the Santa Fe area.

Meh. Close to town, but busy and limited views most of the way. Better options in the area if you are here for a limited time.

I was not thrilled at first with all the buildings blocking the natural scenery, but the further you go past the arroyo the more vast the landscape becomes. The further you go, the more you actually feel like you’re in nature.

Solid hike. Great views.

Great hike and nice view of Santa Fe

Made the trek to the top on 12/31/2017. Started at St. John’s College. It took about 2.5 hours to get to the top (I did a few other side trails) and about 30 min to get down. The view from the top was INCREDIBLE. The weather was perfect as there was no snow on the mountain yet. The trail is easy to follow, about half way up it splits between a “steep route” and “easier route”. I took steep up and easy down. There are breaks in the trees on the way up for pictures but the real view is at the summit. Perfect pano of the whole town. Highly recommended.

Moderate to difficult trail, great views, no water so plan ahead. Took us 2 3/4 hours round-trip, including a 15 mn break on top.

Good easy hike. Wear hiking shoes for loose footing. Great distance and super maintained trail. On the top, You only get to look South towards Town.

A really beautiful and challenging trail (but do-able). It took me nearly 3 hrs but I was recovering from an injury, so 2-2.5 is probably a better estimate. Parking is at St Johns College (you’ll see signs for the lot and the trail if you’re looking). No parking on side of the road/in neighborhood otherwise.

Lots of fun!

Nice trail with great views of Santa Fe. Moderately difficult on the ascent. I loved it.

great views from the top! loved this hike. challenging but very doable

nice local Trail but there is no parking so plan to walk from the college.. atypical Santa Fe Trail with lots of mica and I think granite, not sure...nice view on top..☺️

This was my first time hiking near Santa Fe and I greatly enjoyed this trail. The trail was marked along the way which was nice because there were several smaller trails that linked to the main one. Once you got higher, it was marked easy route or steep route. So I liked knowing that there were two options. It took my friends and I about two hours to reach the top from the parking lot, which seemed about average. Great views and nice trail. Highly recommend.

Solid trail. Ended up doing the loop via Dale Ball trail so I would estimate the total distance was a little over 7 miles. Good views of Santa Fe.

This was a great trail. I took my 10 year old and packed a lunch. It took us about 5.5 hours because we had several rest breaks, but we made it! My Garmin watch tracked about 6.5 miles. I loved the variety of scenery in the first mile, before we started the climb up. We took the "steep path" and it was fine, no scrambles.

Good hike - definitely bring water - welll marked trail. If you are looking for skyline views of Santa Fe - this is the trail.

Nice trail with a range of experiences. Starts out fairly level and then adds some altitude, perfect warm up and cool down.

Beautiful well marked trail. Loved our miles!

Beautiful hike/trail run. Can be a little steep and rocky and times, but overall great! We may have gone a slightly longer route, my GPS said it was over 7.5 miles round trip.