Aspen Vista Trail

Aspen Vista Trail is a 11.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Santa Fe, New Mexico that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, birding, and horses and is best used from March until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

More of a service road than a trail...it is an active road, one truck came down on my weekday hike. Very nice views, and a few creeks for my dog to cool off in. Steady incline, not too tough if you are acclimated to the elevation. I only went about halfway this time, it gets hot as some areas are not shaded. This would be a nice hike in the fall to see the colorful aspen leaves.

A decent trail with great views. It follows an Old Forest Service road. So it is not really a trail but instead of road. There is no signage for the trail and just start up The forest service road that has a locked gate and a sign waning against parking in front. The grade is easy but steady for the elevation gain. Definitely make the effort to go to the top as the views open up. You will know that you're at the end when you reach the top of the Santa Fe Ski Area. I'm sure that this is a four or five star trail in the fall as there are tons of aspens as the name suggests. PS for Dirtbag campers like me there is great free camping around the parking lot of Santa Fe ski basin.

I had trouble deciding on a rating here; I hiked the full distance today, and being a nice weekend, the lower third of the trail was very crowded and not really pleasant. The upper half is very nice. I would recommend going on a weekday. If you are ok with the elevation, it is actually an easy hike with no scrambles. Great views.

Nice jeep path and a really nice vista early on in the hike. Only made it half way up. Some pretty waterfalls too that had small travels going up mountain if you want to explore.

A true gem of a trail in the Sangre de Christo mountains, spectacular views.

Just beautiful.

My wife and I found this trail looking for the "Aspen Vista trail" (which I'm not sure exists). This trail starts in the big parking lot right near mile marker 14 (between 13 and 14). The actual trail start is just to the left and past the gate which leads most people down a 'trail' that is actually a park road.

It starts steep (for us - who are not traditional hikers) but gets easier for most of it until you get to the last 100-200 yds. from the peak of the mountain. In between are forests of Aspens and a beautiful meadow with a great view of Santa Fe. Once at the top, you arrive at the chair lift for the ski area. My Apple watch/phone clocked it at a little more than a mile up and another back.

We enjoyed it very much.

Sunday, June 19, 2016