Aspen Vista Trail

Aspen Vista Trail is a 11.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Santa Fe, New Mexico that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, birding, and horses and is best used from March until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

My wife and I completed this trail during a 3 month stay in NM. The trail is a wide and rocky old road, so it is very very easy to follow, but be sure to wear good shoes. Although the incline isn't too steep, it is steady throughout the majority of the almost 6 miles up and will be challenging if you are not used to the elevation. This trail is not shaded in several areas so be sure to wear sunscreen. We went on a week day and there were not many people at all, which was very nice for us and our 2 dogs. Along the trail there are beautiful aspen trees and some creeks. The best part is definitely the beautiful view at the top, you can see so far! Our dogs really enjoyed it. I would definitely recommend this hike.

Definitely go during October (I know I will be!) The trees are a phenomenal bright golden color at that time of year. The seasons are currently turning, and the weather is perfect. Starting early in the morning, this hike took me approximately 4.5 hours to complete.

More of a service road than a trail...it is an active road, one truck came down on my weekday hike. Very nice views, and a few creeks for my dog to cool off in. Steady incline, not too tough if you are acclimated to the elevation. I only went about halfway this time, it gets hot as some areas are not shaded. This would be a nice hike in the fall to see the colorful aspen leaves.

A decent trail with great views. It follows an Old Forest Service road. So it is not really a trail but instead of road. There is no signage for the trail and just start up The forest service road that has a locked gate and a sign waning against parking in front. The grade is easy but steady for the elevation gain. Definitely make the effort to go to the top as the views open up. You will know that you're at the end when you reach the top of the Santa Fe Ski Area. I'm sure that this is a four or five star trail in the fall as there are tons of aspens as the name suggests. PS for Dirtbag campers like me there is great free camping around the parking lot of Santa Fe ski basin.

I had trouble deciding on a rating here; I hiked the full distance today, and being a nice weekend, the lower third of the trail was very crowded and not really pleasant. The upper half is very nice. I would recommend going on a weekday. If you are ok with the elevation, it is actually an easy hike with no scrambles. Great views.

Nice jeep path and a really nice vista early on in the hike. Only made it half way up. Some pretty waterfalls too that had small travels going up mountain if you want to explore.

A true gem of a trail in the Sangre de Christo mountains, spectacular views.