Armijo Trail and Faulty Trail Loop

Armijo Trail and Faulty Trail Loop is a 4.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Cedar Crest, New Mexico that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and horses and is best used from April until November. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Nice loop with few people. Most of the trail had light snow - be careful not to lose the Armijo trail through the flagged area. About 2.5 hours starting from the Sulphur Canyon lot.

Saw the Friends of the Sandias Volunteer crew headed out for maintenance and improvements on Armijo. Sending a shout out to Thank You volunteers for your dedication and service. We appreciate you.

Great trail. Not too many people. Came across two groups of two horses, several dogs and we saw a black bear!!! Not 100 ft from the trail. It ran fast an opposite way when it saw us first. Very exciting!!

Did this trail clockwise at midday, when it was 97-99 degrees and partly cloudy in abq. The weather up on the mountain was much nicer! It’s a truly lovely and varied loop that only lacks sweeping views (there are a couple of nice glimpses to the east). It feels very remote and there’s lots of shade (even at midday). I didn’t see much wildlife until near the end, on the approach back to the picnic areas, where there were lots of birds, including a BIG woodpecker, Orioles, and a bunch of Steller’s jays. More variety of foliage in this area, too.

There’s a Medallion Tree along the way, just a bit off the trail (and marked). You can find info online if you’re not aware.

The trail starts and ends on paved road. It doesn’t last long at the beginning, but feels like a long way at the end. You can get off the road if you look for trails that run alongside through the picnic areas, like Acequia Trail. If you can, plan a little extra time to wander around the stream area. I saw a huge array of insects on the arnica daisies, and there are interpretive plaques.

I liked the elevation gain over the first few miles — it felt like exercise but wasn’t brutal. Lots of climb a bit, then there’s a flat stretch, that gets steeper as it goes on. Going counter clockwise would, I think, be much more taxing, with one long, moderately steep climb.

The reviewer who says it goes by the road the whole time is mistaken. This trail is nowhere near a road, and is very quiet. There is one high point where you can hear I40, only briefly.

Nothing spectacular but this novice hiker enjoyed it thoroughly.

Just a nice easy walk through the woods. There was nothing spectacular about this hike, but we enjoyed it. We went on a Saturday afternoon and only ran into two other people, so it's a great place to get some quiet.

Great hike ended up with 5 Miles by the time we were done. Start early got super hot. There is plenty of parking and bathrooms with picnic areas. Should have done the loop clockwise to get more vert. Overall really enjoyable.

beautiful hike this afternoon!

I enjoyed this hike today with friends. Perfect loop. Not to long or too short. Enjoyed watching the butterflies and looking at the different wildflowers.

this trail was fairly easy. the trail was along the road a majority of the time which took away from the view.

Very rocky.

Great trail loop. Snow is still melting so it was muddy Nd sometimes icy in early March. I was glad I had my spikes with me.

Nice trail even in late December. No snow unusual for this time of year. Some of the trails that were off shoots of the main trail were no longer open and there were some trails that were available that were not on this map at all. Got concerned they were not going to reconnect so had to bush whack back toward the main trail. Thank goodness for GPS.

Sunday, September 03, 2017

Closed due to bear activity.

Thursday, August 03, 2017

This is a nice trail. Loved the loop. Really nice people passing by infrequently. We had a nice cloud cover most of the time. I imagine parts are really hot in summer sun. Could have done without the hailstorm but it was at the end so... whatever. Would do again.

Monday, July 31, 2017

We saw bears, wild turkeys, humming birds, and woodpeckers. I also got an $80 ticket for not paying the parking fee. Oh well.

Sunday, July 23, 2017

Great trail!

Sunday, July 02, 2017

Absolutely love this trail! The Faulty Loop portion is a little more difficult/narrow but not too bad. I think the Faulty Trail is actually very long (if you took it the whole way), but this loop just does part of it. I was dazzled by the butterflies and all the beautiful plants! One of my favorites in the Cibola National Forest, for sure. We saw a rattlesnake too- so watch your step!

Wednesday, May 24, 2017

This review is for trail runners.
First, the parking lot to armijo trial is still closed. Another reviewer covered this and where else to park.

This trail is one of my favorites for several reasons.
It's not too long and the elevation is steady. If you want a rather leisure 5 mile run, this is a good trail. It has a good amount of shade and the views atop the ridge are pretty.
You will see people on this trail, especially on weekends, but it isn't too busy. I think seeing a few people on trails is good because you can check in on whether there are wild animal issues. (This area has seen bear activity lately, especially at the picnic area).
Cons: You'll be following a horse trail at parts, so watch out for manure. Not a big issue, but just something to know.
Biggest con: People and their fucking dogs. For some reason, people think THEIR dog is the ONE dog that deserves to be off leash. Even though the entire forest is ON leash. You can tell a lot of the people that let their dogs off leash are locals that live really close by...they have that entitled air to them.
As a runner, off leash dogs are the worst. If you run this trail on the weekend, you'll most likely encounter an off leash dog and their irresponsible owner.

Only other con is that some of the forest has been cut (I'm assuming either due to drought or to fire?), and that takes away from some of the scenery.

I love this trail, I just wish dog owners were more responsible and less defensive about being called out on their b.s.

Sunday, May 21, 2017

The road is closed down to the parking/picnic area and trail head. At the road closure turn left and go 700ft to another parking area. There is a trail at the far end of the parking area that will connect with the Armijo and Faulty Trail Loop. It adds about a mile to the hike, which my app said was 5.1 miles when I made it back to the parking area. Really nice trail, probably my favorite so far since I started hiking in the ABQ. Well marked and maintained trail with lots of shade. Stop by the coffee shop in Cedar Crest on your way back out and have coffee.

Monday, May 15, 2017

Pretty nice and average difficulty trail. Finished with my friends at a very recreational pace and within 2.5hrs.
It can be better accessed once the picnic area is open.

Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Did it about ten days ago. Beautiful and not difficult.

Sunday, September 18, 2016

Just did this today. The first part reminded me of hiking on the east coast. But, the full loop was 5.8 miles, per my Sports Tracker app. They did just re-locate Faulty trail where it hits Armijo, but I don't know where the old intersection was to know if that is why it is longer.

Thursday, July 14, 2016

Great to get back to this altitude and smell the pines

Saturday, May 28, 2016

Very rewarding loop trail. moderately difficult due to elevation gain and length, but quite doable. Recommend clockwise direction. The drop into the Canyon at end of Faulty trail is pretty steep and really beautiful. Lots of streams and wildflowers. Excellent trails.

Sunday, September 06, 2015

Steeper than expected; not enough signs on trail; sometimes it was hard to tell if we were still on the intended loop. Very muddy/slippery at places in the rain.