Alkali Flat Trail

Alkali Flat Trail is a 4.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Alamogordo, New Mexico that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.9 miles Elevation Gain: 52 feet Route Type: Loop

EXCELLENT. and for a busy day at the park, there was hardly another soul on the majority of the trail. you get a fair distance back into the dunes (way further than the backcountry trail), and the path is very well marked (thank you NPS!). go counter clockwise so you can run/slide/leap down the dunes on the way back. they're quite steep. great variety of landscapes with the dunes always at the center. will go again!

This trail has nice views, but prepare yourself for the extra challenge of walking on sand and climbing dunes. Make sure to bring lots of water. The tra is very well marked, as the workers said they just put up all new trail markers.

Fantastic Place

Love this trail. Recommend to do it clockwise and start in summer no later than 9am! Better earlier, and I recommend the 3-4 liter per person, if you do entire hike . With teens you need more time for all the Foto stops .we shortened the hike due to the heat and we wanted to have time for sliding down the Dunes, do not miss this part!

One of a kind trail that you can’t miss if you’re in good shape. I did it in August at about 3pm and was worried the heat would get the best of me. It was definitely hot but if you plan for it and bring a lot of water, I found it more than manageable and not extremely uncomfortable or dangerous. I brought 3 liters of water and only ended up drinking just below 2 by the end and I wasn’t stingy with it. The elevation gain over the trail is much much more than advertised because you’re crawling over sand dune after sand dune practically the whole way. The trail is well marked with orange posts that are hard to miss. Because of time of day, I didn’t see another person along the entirety of the trail. You can walk the dunes barefoot if you want because the sand never gets scorching hot BUT it will make your feet blister because you’re walking on very small gypsum crystals (the sand). I recommend shoes for the hike. Definitely bring sunglasses and a hat as well. Not for the faint of heart but I have never done another trail like this one in the U.S. and if you go earlier and bring water, I don’t imagine it’s too terrible

Enjoy unusual view! I made a youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lanK0k3TbZ8&feature=youtu.be

Go early and enjoy the stillness. Bring water and sunscreen.

Awesome trail, so quiet with no-one else around.

Absolutely gorgeous and we found a lot of solitude about half a mile in.

One of a kind experience

Lives up to the reputation!

This trail is awesome. There are some points all you can hear is silence and all you can see is white sand for miles. It is well marked by orange sticks. Make sure to wear a wide brimmed hat, sunscreen, and bring sunglasses. It is extremely bright due to the light reflecting off of the sand and you will be squinting the entire time if you dont. Also it gets really hot really quick. They suggest not to hike if it is above 85 degrees. One hike I started when it was about that and turned in 45 minutes in because of the heat. The second hike (late june) we hiked about half of it beginning at 8am and turned around at 9am returning by 10 and this seemed to be just right. 85 feels like about 100 on the sand so just be mindful of this. We are also more acclimated since we are from phoenix where it is actually warmer than this at this time of year, so that may be good to know. For both hikes I chose to go barefoot. I initially wore my keens but the sand kept getting trapped so I found barefoot easier. Because it is gypsum the sand is cool on your feet even when it is warm outside.

Super fun trail. I did this on Memorial Day weekend and there were tons of people at the visitor center. Take this trail and feel like you have the entire earth to yourself. Surreal landscape and absolute solitude. I didn’t see a soul the entire time. Did the trail barefoot which was fun but I got mad blisters from the friction of the sand. If you do this, reapply sunscreen like four times to the tops of your feet. Twice wasn’t enough haha

Did this trail or loop today. It is a good trail but you have to wear the proper shoes or you will be dumping sand out constantly. beautiful place and easy to follow the trail markers.

Easy to follow trail. Beautiful views of mountains on both sides.

Wonderful hike, would love to do it again! Use some strategy and save some time going up the dunes, but will add a little length to the hike. Take plenty of water and sunglasses are a must. I absolutely loved being out there with no people! A wonderful experience!

Great trail. Easy to get to. Wear good grip merrels or similar. Several dunes to climb. Water is required. Took 2 dogs and had no issues

Very windy, but absolutely beautiful! Such a cool place!

Completely stunning hike. I actually did it in October and the weather was perfect. Hat, shades, and way too much water (at least 3L, and it wasn’t that hot that day) and you’re good. Bring a snack and sit on top of a sand dune. Magical.

An incredible chance to see a truly unique natural wonder—the dunes are beautiful and blindingly white. We could only do part of the trail due to time constraints, and we forgot to pack our stillsuits. If you go, take care not to summon a worm.

beautiful ever take your sunscreen

It has amazing view :) I strongly recommend it. Get some sunglasses.

This is the ultimate White Sands. A bit intense, but unless you hiked this trail, you didn't see the White Sands. No shade, no water, lots of sand dunes - so come prepared.

water, sunglasses. not recommended. absolutely required. The sun gets so hot and bright with the reflection from the white sand that you'll want to come prepared.