Alkali Flat Trail

Alkali Flat Trail is a 4.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Alamogordo, New Mexico that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

wheelchair friendly

scenic driving

Beautiful! I love the view.
Very hot in summer time. I was there twice. During the sunny and during the rain.

I didn't know what to expect at White Sands and was absolutely floored. This is the purest sand (gypsum, actually) you'll ever see that sparkles like the remnants of a glitter snowstorm. I didn't complete the entire trek (it was hotter than HOT and walking uphill in sand is no easy feat), but still felt satisfied. Rent a sled -- definitely get the wax too -- and you'll feel like it's Christmas in July.

geocaching

great trail for a good 5 mile hike, up and down through the dunes. just make sure to bring lots of water it's very dry. All in all if your looking for a desert hike then this is the one for you not only in a desert but also walking through where the first atomic bomb was dropped.

Really fun! We did it in mid February and the weather was perfect (55 and sunny). Our dog loved it too! We're in pretty good hiking shape and it took us a little under two hours to complete (clockwise) with three doggy water breaks. Some of the markers were blown down, so we had to leap frog a few times to find the markers, but could do so safely. We didn't find it to be terribly hard, but you do have to climb up and down a few dozen dunes.

Take all of the warning signs seriously. Do not hike when it is really warm. Bring lots of water. Wear sunglasses. If you cant see the next marker turn back. Enjoy the experience. It is truely unique.

This hike is awesome without small children. I took my 6 and 3 year old and the eye year old made the hike last a lot longer than I wanted. I'm gonna a come back sometime sans children!

Fun trail. Great in winter when it's not hot! Dogs allowed!!!!