Alkali Flat Trail

Alkali Flat Trail is a 4.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Alamogordo, New Mexico that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

March is a good time of year to explore, as it isn't too hot yet and there aren't many people. Had a good time hiking through the dunes, just make sure to keep an eye on the trail markers.

Surreal hike through gypsum sand dunes. Extremely picturesque. We started at either 8 or 9a and finished it in about 3hrs. It's a really expose hike so wear sunblock and long sleeves if you can. It was pretty windy so it didn't feel too hot. But once the wind dies down it gets hot real quick. Bring lots of water and you'll be fine.

Nice hike, climbing up and down the soft sand dunes is like doing stair masters.
Don't forget sun lotion, water and good sunglasses.
Recommend to do it a dusk or dawn.

I just did this today and it was unreal. Definitely get there right when they open 1) not as hot and 2) you have a bit more solitude. Around 10 mins into the hike I realized that I could take my shoes off and jeez it made things a ton easier and way more comfortable. I brought like a half gallon of water and didn't even touch it until after the halfway point, however I don't think I would've brought any less considering how hot the sun got towards the end. Really makes you feel like you're the only one out in the desert, don't let the short distance fool you.

Do not attempt this trail when the temperature is above 70°, ...you will melt! Take plenty of water and sunscreen.

Beautiful hike, feels like you're on the moon... recommend taking some Gatorade or something similar to get you through it. Sun reflecting from all angles can take its toll on you. Lots of sunscreen!

We did a ‘baby equilateral triangle’, went in for about only 5 markers, then cut across to the other side of the trail, and walked out, for a total of 1.5 miles. Worked great with children. With a lot of exploration on the way, took about 1 hour. Saw a bleached earless lizard. The sand just beneath north slopes was very cool despite the air temperature being well above 80s.

Cool trail, nice views especially at the flats past the dunes. Sunset was pretty too

Had a blast with this hike - definitely one of the more unique ones in the area. Not too difficult, by any means, but bear in mind you are walking up/down sand dunes. Going up will take a bit more effort, with some backward progress. Trail is surprisingly well-marked, given that these are shifting dunes. Make sure you bring sunglasses (the sand is bright white and reflects the sun) and water/chapstick for the dry air. Believe you can rent snow sleds in the front office as well, if you want to sled the dunes - tons of fun!

Didn’t seem worth the effort. Felt like I could have gotten as much from a scenery perspective by hiking in a half mile and back out. The scenery just doesn’t change much. No wow moment for us.

This is a great walk. Very impressed with how well marked it is given the constantly shifting dunes. The sand from the far side of the dunes is surprisingly whiter than near the parking loop. Bring some back from the farthest parts of your hike and compare. I recommend walking clockwise to get the more strenuous part at the beginning of the walk but it’s fine either way.

beautiful hike and beautiful scenery. saw a rabbit in the distance otherwise not much wildlife. and not a particularly difficult or diverse hike. but the views make it unique and memorable. this particular trail gets you away from the crowds at the park (tourists, sledding and photog'ing) and offers off-trail opps with virgin sands and unblemished views. will remember it vividly.

My granddaughter Natalia and I walked this trail counterclockwise, when we finished it we noticed that they recommended to walk it clockwise, Any way you walk it you will find wonderful views. Climb the dunes is not easy because the soft sand, but going down is very fun especially if you keep standing. We did the trail the last Saturday of December, very nice weather and a lot of people enjoying this beautiful place, some sledding down the dunes and some just walking. This is a beautiful trail to enjoy and to have a nice time with the family.

Great hike! Fantastic and unique. Well marked, suggest cool weather only. If you are any place close make the extra time to do this.

This trial is awesome! Perfect temperature in the middle of the day when you hike in December. Not too many people! Little vegetation. Astonishing views along the trail. Highly recommended! If you are not hiking alone, get a sled board from the visitor center, so that you can have a great time sled down the dunes as you hike!

duuuuuuude. everyone should do this hike. It is not easy, you're going up and down very very soft sand. If its winter, its warm and then as the sun starts to go down, it gets very very cold. It took me about 2.5 to 3 hours with stops to eat a sandwich and just enjoy the view along the way. I went on the trail alone, I brought a bunch of water, I mostly had cell service the entire time, and it made me consider the world in a weird way. It's a trippy hike. I ended it at sunset and it was breathtaking.

You get a little loopy after staring at white sand dunes for a while, but it’s a unique experience that you shouldn’t miss. Love this park.

This was a tough but beautiful trail!!! Bring lots of water and take your time to enjoy the wonder. We signed up to camp and hiked the whole trail with our packs looking for the campsite. We never found the campsite but learned later the campsites are in a different trail.

Absolutely beautiful and the dunes are amazing. Even when it was a bit chilly outside, we were pretty hot and got dehydrated. Bring lots of water and snacks! 10/10 would do again.

This is a truly unique hiking experience. It was much more challenging than I expected due to a lot of climbing some pretty decent dunes with soft sand.

If you bring a dog, most definitely bring some poop bags with you. This isn't the place to leave pet mess.

And don't forget to bring lots of water, even if you plan to hike only part of the way.

One of a kind experience! Hiking in early morning or early evening in the is best IMHO due to cooler temperature, higher chances of spotting wildlife, and excellent shading on the sand dunes. We were there early September.

wear your sunblock!

Beautiful! I love the view.
Very hot in summer time. I was there twice. During the sunny and during the rain.

Wednesday, June 14, 2017

I didn't know what to expect at White Sands and was absolutely floored. This is the purest sand (gypsum, actually) you'll ever see that sparkles like the remnants of a glitter snowstorm. I didn't complete the entire trek (it was hotter than HOT and walking uphill in sand is no easy feat), but still felt satisfied. Rent a sled -- definitely get the wax too -- and you'll feel like it's Christmas in July.

Wednesday, March 08, 2017

great trail for a good 5 mile hike, up and down through the dunes. just make sure to bring lots of water it's very dry. All in all if your looking for a desert hike then this is the one for you not only in a desert but also walking through where the first atomic bomb was dropped.

Saturday, February 25, 2017

Really fun! We did it in mid February and the weather was perfect (55 and sunny). Our dog loved it too! We're in pretty good hiking shape and it took us a little under two hours to complete (clockwise) with three doggy water breaks. Some of the markers were blown down, so we had to leap frog a few times to find the markers, but could do so safely. We didn't find it to be terribly hard, but you do have to climb up and down a few dozen dunes.

Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Take all of the warning signs seriously. Do not hike when it is really warm. Bring lots of water. Wear sunglasses. If you cant see the next marker turn back. Enjoy the experience. It is truely unique.

Sunday, February 19, 2017

This hike is awesome without small children. I took my 6 and 3 year old and the eye year old made the hike last a lot longer than I wanted. I'm gonna a come back sometime sans children!

Thursday, January 05, 2017

Fun trail. Great in winter when it's not hot! Dogs allowed!!!!

Saturday, December 31, 2016

smooth. go counter clockwise.