Alcove House Trail

Alcove House Trail is a 2.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Santo Domingo Pueblo, New Mexico that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until November.

cave

historic site

Alcove House, formerly known as Ceremonial Cave, is located 140 feet above the floor of Frijoles Canyon. Once home to approximately 25 Ancestral Pueblo people, the elevated site is now reached by 4 wooden ladders and a number of stone stairs. In Alcove House, there is a reconstructed kiva and the viga holes and niches of former homes. Imagine climbing these ladders, carrying whatever supplies were needed, to this lofty home.

great family hike with kids

Nice, interesting trail with some climbing around. $20 entry fee, but was worth it for the ancient history it contained.

This was an amazing trail! I had never seen or done anything like it before! I did the main loop, took the route up to the cave dwellings, and also did the alcove house. It's all connected and easy to follow.

You can hike in the cave dwellings that have ladders and I definitely recommend it. Oh and also you can buy a little self guided tour book for $1 in the visitors center, which I thought was worth it.

The alcove house portion shouldn't be attempted by anyone with a fear of heights. Like really. I had issues with it and in general I wouldn't say I have issues with heights. However, the pay off is well worth it!

I went on a weekend in August and it wasn't too crowded. I definitely saw other people but we were spaced out really well.

Definitely do this hike. It was the highlight of my trip!

Great history! Super ladder Climb! a little too busy... ; very busy Fall season.

Great, very different from anything I've ever done.

Stunning views and amazing history. It's a must hike.

Was an amazing experience for us..originally from San Antonio, Texas. Beautiful sites loved it

Awesome historic trails! We hiked the Main Loop, split off to the Alcove, then hiked the Falls Trail which is near the visitors center towards the end of the Main Loop. 7.5 miles of pretty easy hiking fit perfectly for a family. The history of the Frijoles Canyon is remarkable!

scenic driving