Achenbach Canyon Trail

Achenbach Canyon Trail is a 5.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Las Cruces, New Mexico that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The first mile of this beautiful trail will take you to a big area where you can see some of the most beautiful mountains with big rocks and nice vegetation near Las Cruces NM and which you will continue to see a long of the entire trail. In this first mile the trail is a bit steep and in some parts rocky, but easy to walk, it seems that you will not find anything amazing, but as more you walk you will find a beautiful landscape with very nice mountains and canyons. Near this area you will find an intersection with a loop trail, turn to your right, and in about a half of a mile you have to turn to your left, the trail here is not well marked but is there. In this section of a half of a mile sometimes you lose the trail but there are some stone marks that help to find it, and most of the trail is on a nice arroyo easy to walk, you also can use your GPS to follow the path if you wish. When you arrive to the other intersection of the loop, you continue to your right in direction to the Soledad Canyon Road, this side of the trail is very well marked. There is a warning sign before reaching the intersection with the Soledad Canyon Rd, entry to that area is prohibited, and you have to return from that point. On the way back you take the right side of the loop. Stop for a moment and enjoy the amazing view of the mountains, they say that after the rainy season is full of beautiful flowers, but in any season this trail will leave you surprised. It is advisable to walk the whole path, but if you decide to do only part of the trail you will enjoy it a lot too.

Loved it. went a couple months ago and it was great with the different terrain throughout. It was a very windy day and I lost my favorite cap.

This is one of my favorite trails. Easy to find when you connect the All Trails app to your maps app on your phone. The hike is well laid out, but a little tricky going back down due to some loose gravel areas. My 5 year old son was able to complete the trail and loved reaching the “top”. The summit is worth it! I strongly suggest bringing a walking stick or grabbing one left at the trailhead.

I could not find directions to the trailhead - but I turned onto a dirt road after some dumpsters. It looks like the trail is supposed to start right there at the intersection of Ladera Canyon Rd (improved dirt road) & Cuates Canyone Rd (unimproved dirt road). But, I drove up Cuates Rd .2 miles and parked on the open area there. We began the Archebach Canyon hike. There are no signs or trail markers - I just followed the GPS of AllTrails map. As others have said, I would call this a Moderate, not Easy hike. The trail has lots of loose rock going up & down. We hiked in about a mile and then turned around (out hike was a bit short of what it said the distance would be because we drive in .2 miles). The hike had nice views & was rugged. We saw a Desert Cardinal when we were just about back to the truck. I would like to know what that cement retaining wall and the cement with a paw print and writing (either 1932 or 1982 (probably the ladder) are about??

Decided to wander out here the other day. Really beautiful trail. Not too difficult in terms of elevation climb. The main trail is well marked. There are a lot of trails forking off the main trail that just go in different directions in the mountains which makes it a little confusing at some parts but just follow the main trail and you will be fine. I didn't end up going all the way to the end. Towards the last half mile I found a side trail that followed up a ridge. I am not exactly sure which mountain it was around me but on the loop to the right there is a little bit where the trail forks off, I think the trail up the mountain is right there. You go up the mountain and then just skirt the top. You can get really high and it is just so beautiful. You can see so many things. I kept thinking I was at the top of the mountain but then I would get over the hump and end up in another bass/canyon. I walked for about a mile and a half off the trail and it kept going. I want to come back and explore and see what I can find. Go out there with enough daylight to just get lost in the mountains! (not literally haha)

I would classify the trail as moderate. Hiking staff or trekking poles come in handy. Carry water with you. A picnic lunch is a bonus .

I did not know that I was going to find one of the most stunning landscapes of beautiful mountains and canyons near Las Cruces NM. Although it was during the month of January when I did this trail, I was very surprised and very pleased visiting this beautiful place, definitely I will come back again.

The scenery is beautiful!

Beautiful and easy to hike!

Beautiful view and great trail

This trail is shorter than others, and a bit rugged. Parking may be a moderate challenge.. The views are pretty.

Gorgeous day with a nice breeze. I liked this hike because you were quickly out of the Las Cruces range and into the mountain.

Very beautiful easy hike. Great views of the valley below and the surrounding mountains. Lots of wildflowers after the summer rains. This trail has a steady climb but is not strenuous .

loved it! gorgeous short trail!

Wednesday, March 22, 2017