10-K Trail

10-K Trail is a 4.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Cedar Crest, New Mexico that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I really enjoyed this little hike. I didn’t complete the whole thing because twice I got off the main trail because it was unclear where the real trail was. My phone was dying so I was trying to use the app as little as possible but if I had a fully charged phone, it would have been easy to navigate. A beautiful trail with lots of wild flowers. Maybe I didn’t go far enough but I don’t understand the hard rating for difficulty. It was rocky in places but down hill to start with. Some of the side trails coming off the road are actually better because you don’t have to contend with the rocks. The trees are much denser though. July/August there are almost always late afternoon thunder storms so you might want to take that into account when planning. I’ve been in lightning storms twice in the Sandias and they’re pretty scary. I love September/early October in the Sandias. The aspens are turning yellow, the weather is cool and you just might catch the ski lift open that goes to the top of the crest to look out over ABQ. Only $3 to ride.

From the 10k parking lot we went down in elevation, maybe along what the map titles capulin trail 234a. Looked to be some decent mountain bike jumps. Found patches of wild raspberries and currants, mullein, yarrow, plantain and alfalfa in right next to the parking.

Did this in deep snow with my brother - we only went about 2 miles in but it was gorgeous in the winter. Would definitely suggest some grippy shoes.

This trail is stunning if you only hike the west side of the Sandias. Shaded by tall pines and towering aspens which makes for a nice refreshing hike. This trail is a strenuous for new hikers since the elevation and the at times Steep trail can really take it out of you. Plenty of moss covered trees and logs and beautiful patches of wild flowers. This trail is a great change to the high desert trails of the Sandia foothills. It's a little bit of a drive but by far worth it.

Sunday, July 30, 2017