Wood Duck Trail is a 3.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Sussex, New Jersey that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

Distance: 3.1 miles Elevation Gain: 32 feet Route Type: Out & Back

paddle sports

The trail is flat and well maintained. The main purpose of the trail is for Wildlife viewing. There trail takes you through extensive wetlands, hardwood forest, and some fields. Along the route you will pass many interpretive signs explaining the local plants, Insects, Mammals, Rreptiles and Amphibians that you can find in the area. On warm days you can find Turtles bathing on logs or snakes on the trail. The best time to hike here is Spring and Fall. Eventually the trail ends at the bank of the Wallkill River. A great place for Kayaking. The current of the river is so calm that you can paddle both up and down river with ease. It is also great to get out on this trail in winter with Cross Country Skis or snowshoes.

Easy out and back trail. Parking lot only fits 6-7 cars so I made to get there early (which was good considering we are currently under quarantine so this allowed a limited number of people). I like the informative plaques , seating and views of the wetlands.

Very nice out and back. Easy trail great for getting back into shape. The bridges were a little slick but the handrails kept me safe. I really enjoyed this trail.

quick out and back, nice flat and maintained well

straight as an arrow in and out to swamplands. Signage with a third grade class trip comprehension level. May be reasonable for families with young kids, others may be bored

Sun Feb 17 2019

Flat and easy. Half ice and snow atm. Good views of the marshlands.

Sun Mar 11 2018

Beautiful trail. Nice and simple and great all year round - peaceful in the Winter, gorgeous in the spring-fall

Tue Nov 28 2017

Fun little jaunt through the woods. Heavy tick area so do be cautious.

Tue Oct 03 2017

it's pretty and flat. Great for a quick run!

Wed Sep 20 2017

Nice quick and flat trail. A bit overgrown towards the last 3/4 of the way.

Fri Jul 21 2017

This is a perfect beginners trail. Totally flat. Nice views. Lots of wild life.

Mon May 29 2017

Nice trail. Millions of ticks. Most overgrown it's been in a while. Don't bring animals. Put in plenty of bug spray.

Sun Apr 23 2017

Very nice easy trail to walk or run. Good for kids. DO NOT go further into the field past the gate. MILLIONS OF TICKS in that field. Even tho dogs aren't allowed (didn't see that till I got there) I took my two small ones and they had 20+ on them and we had them all over us. Tick city!!! Besides the ticks it was a nice day. I think it's silly dogs aren't allowed.

Sat Apr 15 2017

Perfect for children ages 4 to 9. Lots of flora and fauna. My daughter and I saw chipmunks, turtles, turkey, squirrels and plenty of birds.

Thu Sep 29 2016

flat. perfect for jogging. good change of pace from a jog on the pavement through the neighborhood.

Sat Sep 17 2016

Good for a quick hike when combined with some of the other trails in the Wallkill River National Wildlife Refuge. I'm not a fan of out and backs, but this was a fun little trail that would be good for kids. You can extend it by going past the gate at the end and continue along to Route 23 through a grassy area (but be mindful of ticks). The downside is that there is some type of aggregate processing plant, so in addition to the traffic sounds from Route 23, there was the beeping of trucks and the continual sound of the rock crushing. Couple of bonuses were beaver lodges adjacent to the footbridges on the trail.

Mon Apr 20 2015

Fantastic for a quick hike, especially if pressed for time as I was this evening. A ton of wildlife and gorgeous scenery. Completely worth checking out!

Mon Sep 22 2014

This trail was a favorite amongst my kids. Super easy, flat path. Not too long, just enough to tire them out! We saw more turtles than we could count, as well as signs of other wildlife and even a water snake. We will definitely be making our way back. Trail parking was clearly marked from the road. Just a great family outing.

Sun Jul 29 2012

An easy trail through wetlands. Lots of turtles, frogs, water snakes and birds... A nice walk that isn't too strenuous or too long.

recorded 04/01/20