White Shore Trail

White Shore Trail is a 3.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Alpine, New Jersey that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November.

rock climbing

beach

Rugged hike with outstanding views, waterfalls, ruins.

49 minutes ago

Be prepared, it's not easy hike

A short and sweet sweet hike. Took me exactly 2hrs (they say it's a 2.5-3hr hike)

I would say it's medium rather than difficult BUT those stairs of death! ..they are killer!

Spend a descent amount of time walking/climbing over boulders - super fun.

Would definitely do again for a nice little challenge / work out!

* I did end up getting a little lost/off trail and had to climb down part of a cliff..so if you boulder and are bad with directions, those skills might come in handy ;)

Great place for a Sunday afternoon!

Awesome trail. If you are looking for a moderate workout, this is a perfect distance. We were a group of 4 adults and 3 children. Definitely get your hiking boots on.
The waterfall was a dud.

We started from the state point lookout inn.

Great trail, but not for the faint of heart. The approaches at either end of the bluff are steep. As in really, really steep. You have to schlep it up one end regardless of your approach. Be prepared to suck some air on the climb back up. As far as the trail itself, awesome. Lots and lots of bouldering. It goes on and on and on, so be prepared to scramble over large boulders for well over an hour. At first you're like, "this is fun!" But then it starts to get a bit tedious as you scramble over the 200th boulder on the trail, but in the end it's a satisfying hike. Very unique. Cool views. Be prepared to sweat. It's a challenging hike.

Hi Guys, Where did you start the trail ? We are living close to the George Washington Bridge and do not have a car. The beginning is it close from there or should take a bus ?

Many thanks for your help.
Aurel

I really enjoyed this trail because of it's uniqueness. It has outstanding views and climbs. It was challenging but that's what makes it so much more exciting. My favorite part was the small beachy area and the make shift wooden swing by the water :) ENJOY!

It was tough, but we'll worth it. the views & scenery were amazing!!

We did the 3.9 mile loop. It was technically and physically challenging. We went north first (toward NY State line), and did the stairs at the end. The trail down to the waterfall was a little hard to follow, but we made it. After that point, the trail was well marked (white squares). The stairs were a beast to get up, but very satisfying. We got to Look-out Point around 10:30 and had no problem finding parking. Highly recommend this trail, but it is not for the out of shape.

I recommend going to the park website at njpalisades.org for route maps. This can be a 7 mile hike if you do Peanut Cascade beforehand with Women's Federation Monument tacked onto the end! The map for the Giant Stairs was accurate.

I had a wonderful time. The trail was very well marked when I went. If you park at Lookout Point, you can get a snack or a cup of coffee beforehand. Fun, tiring hike. I'm planning to go back for Bombay Hook and Clinton's Point in the fall after the leaves turn.

I'd recommend hiking boots or something with good grip and ankle support; I saw people do it in sneakers, but it didn't look like fun to me, and they couldn't take advantage of the opportunities for boulder climbing! Also, I didn't have a problem with ticks, but I saw a lot of poison ivy, long pants are probably the way to go.