White Shore and Long Path Loop Trail

White Shore and Long Path Loop Trail is a 3.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Alpine, New Jersey that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November.

rock climbing

beach

Rugged hike with outstanding views, waterfalls, ruins.

This is such a lovely hike, however make sure you have a good footwear! I would agree with the classification as hard.

My absolute favorite hike in the NY metro area. Fun, challenging trek with diverse terrain and landscape views that make every revisit a discovery. Peanut Leap Cascade can be anything from a trickle, to a roaring surge, to a frozen fortress, and you'll never know until round the tree-lined bend to see it. The mile-long boulder stretch provides ample opportunities for personal picnic spots along the Hudson shore. Peregrine falcons nest in the cliff face, and if you track down someone with a spotting scope they'll more than likely share a closeup with you. Listen for loud knocking in the woods along the shore and you might spot the giant, flashy pileated woodpecker.

This is a good 2.5-hr workout hike for me, but can easily spend 3+ hours taking in all the views and scrambling up the boulders. I've also always lost the trail on the northern section of Long Path and end up bushwhacking to Peanut Leap. The stair climb back up to the ridge from the south end is killer.

Sturdy footwear highly recommended for this, and you should be comfortable scrambling on hands and knees, especially in the winter when sections of the stairs are frozen over.

hard but worth

Great day hike.

My 5th time here, great workouts, beautiful waterfalls and fun swing

This trail was awesome. Completely underestimated the “hard” label. A lot of fallen trees so you have to veer off the trail a few times. Heed the warning and do not bring pets because the Giant Stairs portion isn’t meant for animals. Fun swing at the bottom near the waterfall. The 3.7 miles tag is misleading, when you hike and climb and go through some obstacles, it’s definitely longer. It took my gf and I about 6.5 hours to complete the entire trail. Definitely awesome to conquer, but also would love to see some cleaning up and clearer markers.

A little wet on the upper part of the trail, but great views throughout the hike. Loved the rock scrambling required at on the shoreline trail. With the trees being leaf free this time of the year, we were able to see some great views of the cliffs from below.

Started at the alpine boat basin to make it an 8-9 mile trip. Views on top of the palisades were nice. Lots of litter though. Heavily trafficked areas. Took 6 hours for the extended loop. Navigating the rocky parts was slow. Really muddy and slushy on the long path at the top. Good workout.

Great morning hike for February!
My friend and I really enjoyed everything this trail offer, the “stairs” the waterfall , the workout! In 3 hours and of course the views.

Went in the summer. Great rock scrambling and views of the Hudson

nice easy hike, great views, rock scramble along Hudson is fun.

Gorgeous hike with plenty of Hudson River views and lookouts. Varying terrain from trails to a mile of rock scrambling, and an unexpected waterfall at the northernmost portion of the loop. High chance of wind chill in the winter due to being right on the River for a large portion of the hike, however that is made worth it with some views of the cliffs that would be invisible when the trees are not bare.

Very difficult but challenging and fun. The white trail is pretty hard, lots of maneuvering but fun. Took us about 2.5hrs in the snow. We were soaked with sweat, great workout. I wouldn’t recommend doing this hike in the snow but, we did survive, with no casualties. Lol...

Pretty challenging trail, especially the Giant Stairs. The northern part of decent towards the Giant Stairs is steep too. The views are amazing!
There is a 2012 rockfall in the middle, which has lighter colour than the rest of the cliffs.

Hike hike hard

Beautiful

Nice trail. Pretty heavily trafficked on a Saturday at 10am. Parking lot was half full when I got there but when leaving it was jam packed with no spots. (Free parking). Pretty amazing views. Great view of the bridge. Waterfall was dried up when I went. Some tricky parts, but doable and rewarding.

Breathtaking views along the Hudson. 500+ foot drops near the edges. I’d like to do this again soon because Winter is coming - I would not attempt this trail in the winter or even when it is wet/moist because the rocks are challenging to maneuver.

Some steep parts and the rock scramble is long and hard, but walking right along the Hudson River with the palisades towering over you is really awesome. Interesting variety of scenery.

Fun for a rock scramble through the Giant Steps. About on the crowded side.

This was a great work out. Good amount of rock scrambling and the stairs at the end of the loop are tiring, but definitely doable. Went on a Sunday morning and it wasn't too crowded.

One of the challenging hikes I've done. I'd recommend to wear good hiking shoes and be prepared to finish this trail in 3 plus hrs.

The giant steps were amazing.

Definitely leave 3+ hours to complete. Very strenuous. Was sweating my balls off. At any point your a step away from breaking your ankle in between 2 rocks. Was pressed on time with the sunset so I went fast. was crawling up the steps at the end. Was definitely rewarding once finished.

Fun trail and a decent exercise, but if you're in decent shape and have decent coordination this trail should be rated easy to moderate. Definitely not for pets or physically impaired humans since you have to work your way through big rocks. Beautiful views and scenery and pretty heavily trafficked.

Fun and yet a bit challenging trail.

This hike was nuts! My girlfriend and I brought her Rhodesian Ridgeback on the trail. We are experienced hikers and often look for a good challenge, today we bit off more than we could chew. During the beginning of the trail we were all smiles coming across gorgeous views, a waterfall, and eventually the river. We took some great pictures and continued on, right then I took a spill and took a slide about 20ft down the edge of the cliff, and that's when things got interesting... We came upon these "boulders" that were mentioned in other comments, well let me tell you that this trail is certainly not meant for dogs. I repeat NOT MEANT FOR DOGS. I ended up carrying my girlfriends dog across each and every stretch of boulders we came across. I risked her and my life multiple times with nearly every step. The lesson here is read the signs before you decide to take this trail.

This hike was great! Tons of views! Steep going down toward the water, rock climbing portion was a little difficult and long, but still worth it! The hike back up was also steep but didn’t take long at all.

Great trail, beautiful views, lots of horizontal scrambling- and one hell of an exit at 520 feet vertical on giant steps!

Definetly rated as difficult