White Shore and Long Path Loop Trail

White Shore and Long Path Loop Trail is a 3.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Alpine, New Jersey that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November.

rock climbing

beach

Rugged hike with outstanding views, waterfalls, ruins.

Very difficult but challenging and fun. The white trail is pretty hard, lots of maneuvering but fun. Took us about 2.5hrs in the snow. We were soaked with sweat, great workout. I wouldn’t recommend doing this hike in the snow but, we did survive, with no casualties. Lol...

Pretty challenging trail, especially the Giant Stairs. The northern part of decent towards the Giant Stairs is steep too. The views are amazing!
There is a 2012 rockfall in the middle, which has lighter colour than the rest of the cliffs.

Hike hike hard

Beautiful

Nice trail. Pretty heavily trafficked on a Saturday at 10am. Parking lot was half full when I got there but when leaving it was jam packed with no spots. (Free parking). Pretty amazing views. Great view of the bridge. Waterfall was dried up when I went. Some tricky parts, but doable & rewarding.

Breathtaking views along the Hudson. 500+ foot drops near the edges. I’d like to do this again soon because Winter is coming - I would not attempt this trail in the winter or even when it is wet/moist because the rocks are challenging to maneuver.

Some steep parts and the rock scramble is long and hard, but walking right along the Hudson River with the palisades towering over you is really awesome. Interesting variety of scenery.

Fun for a rock scramble through the Giant Steps. About on the crowded side.

This was a great work out. Good amount of rock scrambling and the stairs at the end of the loop are tiring, but definitely doable. Went on a Sunday morning and it wasn't too crowded.

One of the challenging hikes I've done. I'd recommend to wear good hiking shoes and be prepared to finish this trail in 3 plus hrs.

The giant steps were amazing.

Definitely leave 3+ hours to complete. Very strenuous. Was sweating my balls off. At any point your a step away from breaking your ankle in between 2 rocks. Was pressed on time with the sunset so I went fast. was crawling up the steps at the end. Was definitely rewarding once finished.

Fun trail and a decent exercise, but if you're in decent shape and have decent coordination this trail should be rated easy to moderate. Definitely not for pets or physically impaired humans since you have to work your way through big rocks. Beautiful views and scenery and pretty heavily trafficked.

Fun and yet a bit challenging trail.

This hike was nuts! My girlfriend and I brought her Rhodesian Ridgeback on the trail. We are experienced hikers and often look for a good challenge, today we bit off more than we could chew. During the beginning of the trail we were all smiles coming across gorgeous views, a waterfall, and eventually the river. We took some great pictures and continued on, right then I took a spill and took a slide about 20ft down the edge of the cliff, and that's when things got interesting... We came upon these "boulders" that were mentioned in other comments, well let me tell you that this trail is certainly not meant for dogs. I repeat NOT MEANT FOR DOGS. I ended up carrying my girlfriends dog across each and every stretch of boulders we came across. I risked her and my life multiple times with nearly every step. The lesson here is read the signs before you decide to take this trail.

This hike was great! Tons of views! Steep going down toward the water, rock climbing portion was a little difficult and long, but still worth it! The hike back up was also steep but didn’t take long at all.

Great trail, beautiful views, lots of horizontal scrambling- and one hell of an exit at 520 feet vertical on giant steps!

Definetly rated as difficult

rock climbing

This was my 4th hike ever in my life, and we started on a very easy flat trail and somehow cut across towards the water to go on what we thought was the shore trail....this long path goes along the shoreline, and once you get near the water, it's all rock scramble for what seemed like miles and miles. I think there is an easier trail on the shore, but unfortunately, we got it confused and ended up on this trail, and came upon vast stretches of unending rocks after 4 hours of hiking. I'm just happy I survived. Now I can say I'm an expert hiker because I made it on my 4th hike ever.

Love this hike!!