White Shore and Long Path Loop Trail is a 3.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Alpine, New Jersey that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November.

rock climbing

beach

partially paved

Rugged hike with outstanding views, waterfalls, ruins. Moderate to difficult. The first part going north from the visitor center / cafe (fully stocked) heads down the cliff with moderate exertion and you get to a beautiful waterfall emptying into the Hudson. At this point, if you want an easier hike, turn around and go back up. If you continue the loop and head south along the Hudson, it gets harder.

Agree 100% with the reviewer below me. Awesome hike, but be careful after rain and do not bring your dog. My dog is like a mountain goat and we even had to sit down a few times to catch our breath and make a plan for our next step. Solid ground felt incredible after that hike!

CAUTION: There are confirmed rock avalanches after rain!

We started on the Long Path Trail and headed down to the rock scrambles that are over a mile long. You will climb, get on your hands and knees, sit on your behind and slide down boulders to get through. There's no question that this is appropriately marked as hard.

Please leave small children (under 12) and dogs at home. We saw plenty of both but we also saw plenty of dogs that were terrified to keep going forward and had to be carried making it dangerous for owners and their fur babies. We also saw fearless children enjoying the boulders but also some driven to tears by fear, too.

The climb back up is challenging since it is steep. We went peak fall so the leaves on the ground made everything slippery. Bring PLENTY of water and wear proper hiking shoes. Hubby went with sneakers and regretted not putting on hiking shoes.

Awesome hike and the description is absolutely true !!!

Would definitely do clockwise, great views from cliffs as you walk down . Those views won’t be there on hike up unless trees are bare . Hiking shoes a must for rock scramble. Definitely add the women’s federation monument. Great view and a cool little castle.

We took 2 and half hours. We could enjoy whole trail. Recommend to go in fall. trees are so beautiful :)

Was a great hike went yesterday with two friends and it was awesome -“the view”. Those boulders were tricky but if you’re up for a challenge and beautiful scenery do it.

So I started this trail as a first timer and failed to do the proper research. Went in search of a good trail run but got about half trail run half sideways rock scramble. Did have great views and did get a bit dangerous as the leaves had just fallen from the trees and it had rained the night before. Most certainly not a run unless your looking for a spartan like challenge

Beautiful trail! Well maintained and marked. Highly recommended!

Really enjoyed this hike.

the view was amazing

Hiked this trail on Sat Oct 6th and it was 4.3 miles according to my GPS. I wouldn’t rate this trail as difficult at all, maybe a little tricky in a few spots (giant stairs) but moderate is a better rating. Beautiful views and we did the trail clockwise so we hit the waterfall first which is always a highlight of any hike. There is a nice area to relax by the waterfall and near the shore once you get down by the water. The giant stairs, rock scramble was so much fun and you have to be careful but that’s what a fun hike is all about! After the rock scramble and a few flat areas you head back up to the road, cross it and back to the parking area. If you live in the Tri-State area and haven’t done this trail I highly recommend it!!

I definitely wasn’t prepared for how difficult this trail is but it was manageable! I had my dog with me who is very confidant and sure-footed but even he had some second thoughts at times. I know they say to keep your dog on a leash but I for sure would’ve had a broken ankle from the pull of the leash had I had it on him. So ONLY bring your dog if they 1. Are super skilled at rough terrain 2. Have great stamina 3. Are friendly and easygoing when it comes to other people and dogs. Might go back someday!

amazing views and challenging rocky path

Wear good shoes!!! This hike was very well-marked and fun. The rock scramble was intense, as it went across rather than up. I went in mid-Sept.

Awesome trail! Definitely drink plenty of water and watch your footing. All the rock scrambles you’ll end up climbing/hiking through get difficult and very exhausting but climbing through them is so much fun. You’ll feel accomplished when you’re finished!

Well marked and is difficult after the first 2 miles. Be prepared for scambling and steps. I did this after the rain and the scrambling was very hard and slippery. Beautiful views.

not hard but tricky. finished the loop with 3 other people, 1 who has never hiked before. enjoyed it immensely though. Calves were a little achy the day after climbing the grand staircase and the boulders. but nothing insane if you have some level of fitness.

I’m a little confused by the different Palisades trails - we definitely did this one but our trackers said 5.5 miles, not the 3.7 indicated. It was tough. A day later my thighs are still burning. The rocks were fun and challenging but the ascents (multiple) were very hard.

rock climbing

This was much harder than I expected. Being a novice and somewhat out of shape, it needed a lot of exertion and a degree of balance.

The first part going north from the visitor center / cafe (fully stocked), you go down the cliff with moderate exertion and get to a beautiful waterfall emptying into the Hudson. At this point, I advise the beginner hiker to turn around and go back up. Because the next part, south along the Hudson, is hard. And it’s not really that technically demanding but you are taken over rock pile after rock pile, think what’s left after a rock slide and it seems ENDLESS. I was asking a higher power to please stop and turn back up the cliff.

When that part ended, it was a very pleasant stroll along a packed earth path next to the river and a steep but manageable climb back up the cliff.

Total time of 3.5 hours including a snack break.

This was a very hard trail! But thoroughly enjoyed it and feel accomplished! The boulder scramble was the toughest. But it feels amazing to have completed the trail.

all I got to say is "Drink water". Awesome hike. just remember what's goes down must come up.

Palisades Long Trail Shore Trail Loop was amazing!! Boulders to climb and scenic views atop. Try to get there before eight and you have the trail all to yourself! Lots of water breaks and leave the pets and small kids behind.

great local hike especially if you live in NYC (and have a car). great workout, lovely views and lots of seating areas on flats boulders. I initially missed the stairs on right that take you into the Giant Stairs area (through a fence) so keep an eye out as there are trails that lead elsewhere. very well blazed. not scary or too technical at all and good sneakers were sufficient on a sunny day. took 3.5 hours with a half hour lunch break.

Great hike but very strenuous. Make sure you’re in shape for this one!

Amazing and exhausting trail. Completely the whole loop and sweated a good 5lbs. Next time I'll be better prepared with more water and hiking gloves

Both scenic and challenging. Greenery and trees along the NJ/NY border. Challenging rock climb & descents at “The Giant Stairs.” Bring a backpack: pack water & snacks. Don’t be a litter bug :)

really challenging hike but felt so good to finish!! definitely need to be in good shape to navigate all of the rocky terrain. great views of the hudson river!!

If there was a higher classification than hard I would give it. We were not prepared for the difficulty of the scrambles. It had rained on and off recently and they were very slick. We encountered a rock avalanche, which we were told later is a common occurrence after and during rain. Scariest thing in my life! Luckily we did not get hurt/Hit as we were about 20 feet ahead of it. We had kids ranging from 8-13 with us. They all did well, but looking back really not for kids under 12. And they need to be athletically inclined.

Rock scrambling and steep climbing. I had an amazing time. Don’t forget to visit the women’s federation monument. It’s a beautiful structure. I loved this hike. This will be my second time. It took me 3 hours and 4.5 miles because I stopped to enjoy the scenic views and walked on unmarked trails. The waterfall was sad this time. It needs to rain more. Enjoy!

Its one of the hardest trails I have done in Northern Jersey, all because of the grand stair case.

Correction- I followed the map exactly as per All trails and my Apple watch says it was 4.7 miles instead of 3.7 miles. Took me exactly 3 hours at a leisurely pace.

Caution - I started this loop at 6.15pm in mid July and it got dark by the time I was half way through giant stair case (1 mile shifting boulder climb) and really dark on my way back up. Kinda scary because of terrain. Try and start early in the day.