White Shore and Long Path Loop Trail

White Shore and Long Path Loop Trail is a 3.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Alpine, New Jersey that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November.

rock climbing

beach

Rugged hike with outstanding views, waterfalls, ruins.

Its one of the hardest trails I have done in Northern Jersey, all because of the grand stair case.

Correction- I followed the map exactly as per All trails and my Apple watch says it was 4.7 miles instead of 3.7 miles. Took me exactly 3 hours at a leisurely pace.

Caution - I started this loop at 6.15pm in mid July and it got dark by the time I was half way through giant stair case (1 mile shifting boulder climb) and really dark on my way back up. Kinda scary because of terrain. Try and start early in the day.

Hiking through the boulders was super fun and the stairs at the end were crucial.

The giant steps were described to me as a “unique and challenging experience”...that’s about right.

This’ll get your cardio in for the day. Woo! I’m partial to the stairmaster so this hike was right my my alley. Hiked the trail in 2 hours with my bf. Fun scrambling mixed between spacers of flat scenic intermission. Would recommend hiking shoes to prevent rolling an ankle or stubbing a toe on all the boulders. Gorgeous view of the Hudson from both river and peak levels. Would def go again. Good stuff.

Enjoyable and challenging at times, fun trail. We hiked on a Saturday, and met a few other hikers along the way. Weekdays would prob be best if you’re looking for solitude.

Beautiful views. But tough trail. Climbing back up after the Great Stairs is hard!!!!

Great views, but not an easy trail.

Good hike. Close drive. Lots of scrambling.

Had great cliff views

Great hike. Make sure to wear comfortable shoes. Not for your young kids.

Very fun, definitely enjoyed the scramble but it's not too difficult as some have said below.

Totally awesome hike! Suitable for all skill levels as long as you leave ample time to rest. For experienced hikers this trail is fantastic location for a quick day hike that’ll leave you satisfied work out wise and view wise.

As for those less experienced at the hiker game. Make sure you have proper foot wear or you will be slipping all over that rock scramble. Leave ample time to complete the hike so you can rest and even stop for lunch while taking in some beautiful views.

Be sure to bring your camera, Lots of snacks and water.
Leave your dog and young children at home. I’ve seen many falls and injuries from these populations.

Happy hiking!

Great trail! Awesome views, challenging & great areas to stop & just take it all in.

Amazing location to hike which is less than 1 hour drive from Manhattan.

Also known as the giant stairs... wonderful hike but gets pretty packed

Awesome views, tough rock scrambles and some difficult climbs. Great for a quick workout.

Be careful for recent rain - rock scramble is a considerable portion of the loop and rocks can become very slick. Great local hike!

I love this hike. The 1 mile rock scramble is so much fun, and the steep ascent out is a great workout after the challenging hike. However, this hike is not a leisurely stroll. I’ve seen it make people cry.

This is one of the best trails my husband and I have hiked recently. A super convenient 20-minute drive from the Upper West Side of NYC, this is a great trail if you don’t have time for a longer hike. It took us about 2.5 hours to hike it, including making several stops to see the view, enjoy the waterfall and hydrate! It is difficult, but very rewarding. Make sure you have proper footwear, and plenty of cold water if you go on a hot day like we did!

We highly recommend starting to the south (turning left at the first fork) and descending the rock stairs first. This will allow you to do a really fun ascending rock scramble when you get to the Giant Stairs, and puts the waterfall and a number of amazing vistas close to the end of the loop, which I prefer to have towards the end, rather than right at the beginning when I don’t feel like stopping. Plus, this is a tough trail and would have been much less fun to end it with climbing super steep stairs.

We hiked it on a relatively hot day and got a late start, but next time, we intend to go much earlier so we don’t get caught in the mid-day sun, as much of the rock scrambling is not anywhere near the shade. Thankfully, we both had climbing gloves, as the rocks got super hot and touching them was not much fun!

The trail was moderately busy for a Saturday, and people were very good about letting you pass them if they were moving slow. And a bunch of folks had dogs with them.

Two thumbs up! We will be back for sure.

WOW be prepared to work. not for beginner. This is not your casual walk in the park.

challenging and beautiful. Definitly not kidding about good footwear the rock scramble was intense. but loved the view and the workout. my favorite hike to date!

Really enjoyed this hike. Stairs down to Shore Trail are pretty steep in places, but easy to follow. Once you get to the rock scrambling it's pretty unrelenting for a mile or so, with a few areas where you can take a breather. Nice views of a small peaceful cove, the cliffs above, and the Tappan Zee Bridge when you get further north. I wouldn't want to do it on a hot day with the sun beating down on the rocks. You cross through a chain link fence into New York then the lovely Peanut Leap Falls is just a bit further. Be sure to stop above the falls at a little lookout just off the trail. Pretty steadily back uphill until you get to the parking lot again, with some nice views out over the Hudson and lots of stone steps, though it's mostly shady. I'd do this hike again - definitely a unique experience.

Challenging and interesting hike. Goes from scenic cliffs to very sketchy rock scrambling and back, with good views throughout. Don’t bring your dog.

At first you don’t think this hike is that hard but the you hit an hour of navigating a sloping rocky terrain. Nicely tired at the end.

This is such a lovely hike, however make sure you have a good footwear! I would agree with the classification as hard.

My absolute favorite hike in the NY metro area. Fun, challenging trek with diverse terrain and landscape views that make every revisit a discovery. Peanut Leap Cascade can be anything from a trickle, to a roaring surge, to a frozen fortress, and you'll never know until round the tree-lined bend to see it. The mile-long boulder stretch provides ample opportunities for personal picnic spots along the Hudson shore. Peregrine falcons nest in the cliff face, and if you track down someone with a spotting scope they'll more than likely share a closeup with you. Listen for loud knocking in the woods along the shore and you might spot the giant, flashy pileated woodpecker.

This is a good 2.5-hr workout hike for me, but can easily spend 3+ hours taking in all the views and scrambling up the boulders. I've also always lost the trail on the northern section of Long Path and end up bushwhacking to Peanut Leap. The stair climb back up to the ridge from the south end is killer.

Sturdy footwear highly recommended for this, and you should be comfortable scrambling on hands and knees, especially in the winter when sections of the stairs are frozen over.

hard but worth

Great day hike.

My 5th time here, great workouts, beautiful waterfalls and fun swing

This trail was awesome. Completely underestimated the “hard” label. A lot of fallen trees so you have to veer off the trail a few times. Heed the warning and do not bring pets because the Giant Stairs portion isn’t meant for animals. Fun swing at the bottom near the waterfall. The 3.7 miles tag is misleading, when you hike and climb and go through some obstacles, it’s definitely longer. It took my gf and I about 6.5 hours to complete the entire trail. Definitely awesome to conquer, but also would love to see some cleaning up and clearer markers.