White Lake Short Trail is a 3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Hardwick Township, New Jersey that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 3.0 miles Elevation Gain: 206 feet Route Type: Loop

paddle sports

historic site

Love this area! Trails are pretty well marked and easy-going—we like both the grassy part filled with wildflowers and the shaded woods. The ruins are very cool and add some extra flavor to the walk. The lake itself is gorgeous—definitely recommend kayaking there if you can! A few bugs and muddy in some places.

Nice walk!

Awesome trail and history.

Clearly marked, nicely maintained, easy trail. It’s now one of my favs!

Great easy trail and beautiful area

Pretty nice. Some left over snow and ice and some miss and mushrooms and a lot of mud.

Very pleasant trail; well-marked and easy. Not over-populated, which was nice—-we saw only 4 other people on our hike.

Nice easy hike. Loved the flowers. Trail well marked. Dog friendly. Even though parking lot was almost full didn’t run into anyone on the trails. They were mostly kayaking. Looks like a great place to go for that.

Great, easy hike. Awesome wild flowers with a bunch of different butterflies fluttering about. Very muddy in spots, but it was also raining during portions of the hike.

I LOVED THIS PLACE.

Sun Sep 02 2018

I am posting this on my husbands trail page, loving wife Cathy! My husband and I set out to do this trail Sunday. This was my first real trail I have ever done, he is experienced and very much enjoys hiking. Over all I feel that I did really good we walked 4.59 miles and the inclines were pretty hard for me at times but like I said this was my first time. I can’t wait to get out and try another one.

Mon Aug 20 2018

Nice trail and outing with the family. Just enough adventure for the littlest hiker. Not a lot of views, but great wooded trail for the kids to explore.

Sat Jul 07 2018

Fantastic well maintained loop. Lots to see!! Lime Kiln and Ice Castle ruins along the trail.

Tue Jun 12 2018

Must have miscalculated the trail on the app. Did a smaller loop using blue, ridge and valley and green trails. Beautiful well maintained trail. Some downed trees, someone has attempted to clear them. Some mud on trails. Worth getting mixed up. Absolutely would do again.

Sun May 27 2018

Walked the extended version (yellow blaze) of this trail yesterday. A few sections had trees blocking the trail that required off trail walk arounds.

Mon Apr 09 2018

Very well maintained trails & easy to follow...great hike for kids as there are a few different places where they can explore the remnants of some historic structures!

Wed Nov 29 2017

White lake is beautiful. The trail is easy. FYI, in the summer on Wednesday mornings and Friday afternoons they offer free kayaking. First come first serve. And they only do it for 3 hours.

Sat Nov 04 2017

I made a left from the parking lot and followed the blue trail to the yellow trail, right at yellow trail then followed that to to blue trail and back to the parking lot. It was 4-5 miles total. The trail was a nice combination of terrain and scenery.

Sat Jul 01 2017

Nice walk but OMG the bugs!!

Sat Jun 03 2017

Very easy hike with not much change in elevation and well maintained trails. Mostly wooded with some lake views and beautiful meadows. Ruins of an old lime kiln and enormous 1800's ice house that later processed marl. A few other historical remnants can be seen nearby. Trail maps are available at the parking area.