Wells Mills -Penn Hills Trail

Wells Mills -Penn Hills Trail is a 7.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Waretown, New Jersey that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Wells Mills County Park 905 Wells Mills Road Waretown, NJ 08758 609-971-3085

This was an Ok hike. It's hard because I am from Pennsylvania and we have woods so comparison I guess is not fair. It was a nice leisurely stroll. I took the green trail and did get lost twice, I went on an access road instead of making a sharp right turn that wasn't marked very well. The creeks that run through this area are nice and the cute bridges you are all over are neat. I would recommend this area for a nice stroll...the "lake" is very beautiful.

Walking this hilly trail will make one think you are in Pennsylvania instead of New Jersey. The trail is well maintained. It seems like everytime I'm there I meet students from out of state that were recommended to hike the trail.

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

South Jersey is awash in insects until the birds have a chance to knock down the numbers. Late August, sept thru April and maybe May you can enjoy all the garden state has to offer. I have lived and wandered all over the state below Trenton. The pines and wetlands within all beautiful in winter when the migrations from north visit. Brants, swans, snow geese and others shelter in the lakes, ponds and bogs. Unlike other bogs and swamps, we have sandy berms and causeways that provide firm trails, even when wet. I enjoy the Pa mountains north of Blue Mountain June thru Aug,, early Sept, then come back to the sugar sand roads for cranberry ripiening time, for the incoming flocks and the great festivals like at the Fall Fling at Apple Farm. You can hop the fence out of the festival and hike right there, I saw turkeys, pheasant. Just got to pick the right seasons to enjoy it.

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Nice trail. Don't go in late spring! Black Flies Mills Trail should be the name. Worst swarm of flies I've ever seen. Got eaten alive lol.

Monday, May 16, 2016

A bit tough if you're out of practice but really nice elevations and pretty scenery.

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Great walk, there is also a really nice trail run (white trail) to take advantage of. Three stars because of the amount of ticks in the area, even a sign warning you to there presence. Gorgeous trail but be prepared.

Saturday, March 26, 2016

Nice wooded trail surrounding a lake. Good options for distance.

Monday, February 22, 2016

Great Hike along Lake over small Bridges and Streams.

Saturday, November 14, 2015

double loop

Friday, October 23, 2015

Great trail, great scenery, saw a few people during our walk around the longer trail, paths are very well maintained and easy to walk. Cool visitor center too, I recommend stopping there before you hike so you know what animals to keep an eye out for!

Monday, June 08, 2015

Macri trail was a long and winding trail. The trail changed some between rolling hills, swamp, woods, and a little water front. So it kept my interest throughout. It is not a difficult trail since there are no challenging elevations or terrain. So if you are looking for a long simple trail with some variety, this one is perfect.

Sunday, April 27, 2014

Many fun trails to hike. Only problem is the ticks, they're everywhere. If your going to go there make sure to protect yourself.

Sunday, October 27, 2013

Great trail! Very diverse woods. It was constantly changing and always a beautiful scenery.

There are several trails with the Penns Mill trail being the 8.4 mile. It is narrow and twisting so it never gets too repetitive. Ranged from: a forest of pitch pines with short brush; to a claustrophobic wall of thornbushes on both sides; to dark wood with a creek and cedars... etc.

This is also the best marked trail I have ever been on. They use colored bars about every 20-30 yards. While not usually necessary, it helped at crossings and areas that open up and the trail is not clear.

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Be aware of chiggers!!!!! My gf, dog and I hiked the white trails all the way around. we got back to the car and under our long pants, bug spray and hiking socks our ankles were infested with chiggers. Our dog was covered in them resulting in antibiotics and steroids. Please be cautious ticks are the least of your worries!!!

Friday, July 05, 2013

Me and my boyfriend did this 8 mill trek yesterday... we loved the trail and was a great workout in the heat.. but sadly i'm not sure we would do it again because we were covered in a lease 20 deer ticks each when finished.. which kind of ruined our experience!

I do recommend this trail...but please protect your self as much as possible... you will have many ticks when finished!! ~ lori

Saturday, September 29, 2012

My friend and I have hiked Welles twice and are headed back today to do the 8.4 Penns Hill Trail. This is a very beautiful park with well marked trails. This has been our training as we begin to become avid hikers. Great place to start with as there are 6-7 trails. Novice to moderate hikers will love this place, as the trails are soft under foot.

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Scenic and peaceful. Minor hills and inclines. Be sure to use tick spray as they are everywhere.

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Very nice park, trails are well marked and clean, did the 3 mile green loop first.
Next visit will do the 6 mile loop.

Sunday, April 24, 2011

This state park has many marked hiking trails. Maps available at the ranger station. Lots to offer. A beautiful park, lake and rowboats available. Fishing good to.