Washington Valley Park Trail

Washington Valley Park Trail is a 4.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Martinsville, New Jersey that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Did a good portion of the orange trail. Was a good work-out, with rocky trails, and good amount of ups and downs. Takes you high above the one waterfall. I was curious, as a new hiker and someone new to this park, how the orange trail compares to the others.

Great hike. Was here the Saturday after the nor'easter storm. Could not complete the red loop to many downed trees. But, there was evidence that the trail was being cleared - to many trees down for a quick fix. Will be back to try again!

Trail currently closed due to construction

beautiful !

A little wet from the rain but otherwise trails were good. Controlled burn on white rock side is complete.

I went here because of this App and I have to say I was beyond impressed. I can't wait until next Spring. I took lots of great pictures during this visit.

Awesome! A little wet in some spots, but overall a good day.

We started on the red trail to the lake. Fortunately we had the AllTrails map to navigate our location as the trails were often poorly marked and turned without warning. We were on a busy road for a stretch at the end of the lake before continuing on a closed trail due to an incomplete bridge and crossing through the mud. The white trail continued on the other side of the lake and again we had to use navigation to ensure we stayed on track to return to the parking lot. The blue trail is a nice second loop across the road and is much better marked but still had to use the app a few times to ensure we didn't make a wrong turn. Overall a great day, small elevation climbs and nice trails.

not a road bike trail at all

Some parts consist of heavy noise from local traffic and the nearby quarry. No difficult paths, definitely a starters trail.

The park is discontinuous and there were some sections under construction but not mentioned at the trailhead which complicated making a full loop. Broken glass was all over so bringing our dog was risky and I wouldn't do it again. There were certainly a few nice parts. If the place was cleaned up and better marked, the trail would be a 3-4 stars.

Good trail.

Good Hike. The level is moderate. We did the red dot. It has a moderate traffic.

The red trail is easy. Share is also shared with mountain bikes which can be a problem. Just keep an eye out so that you don't get run over.

Really beautiful

Great trail to bring your dogs; easy terrain and soothing views.

It's a really nice place to go and there a many different options and ways. I had there a nice walk with friends.

Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Best mountain biking in the state. You can find trail maps at the newmanns lane parking lot. more trails in this valley than you can hike or bike in a day(many of them not mapped). Middle brook trail follows the river. most people think it ends at crim fields but if you go through the fields and cross the street you go behind the school and the trail picks up again.

Thursday, October 20, 2016

Saturday, September 24, 2016

Decent trail. Mostly flat. Pretty views. After doing it 3x now-has become a tad boring.

Sunday, September 11, 2016

Nice. Few people. Fairly flat. Would have been totally lost without the app.

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

moderately hilly, nice and shady.

Thursday, May 26, 2016

The blue trail is a great after work hike - not too long or difficult, but a nice evening workout.

Sunday, May 15, 2016

A great way to spend Sunday morning! I'd start early and just walk the trails....considering running the short one around the lake as well. If you're not hung up on specific trail routes and can figure out which way you're pointing, it's hard to get lost. I brought my All Trails app along and figured out which way I wanted to go. Planning to come back and explore more.

Thursday, March 10, 2016

My favorite trail for a easy hike. I always come in from Newman's lane and walk along the lake up to the quarry, then around the back to the parking lot. The one time I crossed Newman's lane, I ended up walking down the Middlebrook Trail until it abruptly ended. This place is my absolute favorite, and I usually end up hiking here once a week when the weather is nice. Both sides of this trail are lovely and relatively easy to walk.

Tuesday, December 29, 2015

This was not that great due to poorly marked trails, lots trail segments not on the map, bicycle traffic, and the constant noise from the large adjacent quarry and the very busy roads. My biggest frustration was the awful trail marking. Where there are blazes, they use the same colors for "perimeter" and "interior" trails with just a change in the shape of the blaze to indicate which is which. There are several places where each side of a fork in the trail was marked with exactly the same blaze. When trails cross (very dangerous) roads, the trails are not blazed on the opposite side of the road, leaving you to hike about a quarter mile on what you hope is the right trail before you come across a blaze. There are also a ton of connector trails - all blaze with a "C" - making it impossible to differentiate them on a map. Speaking of maps, the park map is pretty much worthless. I was using the All Trails app on my phone, which was much better. This could be a decent hike but Somerset County Parks needs to look to the NJ State Parks or NY NJ Trail Conference to learn how to blaze a trail.The poor blazing, obnoxious mountain bikers, and constant noise make this a "one and done" for me.

Thursday, November 19, 2015

Really beautiful foliage here. Scents are great. Ran into a young buck. You can see a lot of houses from the trails (which are not well marked) which kind of kills the illusion of being away from the city. The reservoir is pretty. I went during a rainy day and found myself slipping in some parts that are really steep so wear proper shoes or bring a walking stick.

Sunday, October 11, 2015

Nice trails by the lake. Nice cliff views.
Many trails are not marked well at all. Make sure you have a map with you and watch out on the red trail.

Monday, September 21, 2015

This trail is not hard at all for hikers. I would say it is an easy to moderate hike. Views of the lake are very nice. I am fairly certain it would be more fun to hike in Fall and Winter as the narrow trail will be clear off the overgrown grass/vegetation and clear views of the lake through the trees.

Sunday, September 20, 2015

Easy hike through the woods and near a lake. We took white trail from parking lot. Folllowed it to the street by the lake dam then a sharp right back on a narrow trail that became the red trail. White trail is marked but not at every intersection. Red trail is very well marked