VanCampens Glen

VanCampens Glen is a 1.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Blairstown, New Jersey that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

From Branchville NJ take rt. 206 west. Past Stokes forest office. Make left onto Strubble RD. Follow main paved Rd past Tillmans Ravine. Go straight through intersection. Cemetery on left. Follow Rd through town of Wallpack. Make left onto Old Mine Rd. Then hang left at sharp turn. This is 615. Take to Flatbrookville and make left back onto Old Mine Rd. Take Old Mine Rd to Millbrook and park at small lot.

love love love this Trail! I park at Millbrook Village cross the street and follow a trail to a picnic area. I continued over Earth bridge and made a left when I got to the road. A short way up there's, an entrance to a trail on the left. I followed that and eventually found the markings of the Van Campen Glen Trail. Once I reach the parking area at the end of the Van Campen Trail, I went up to the road and across the street to the Hamilton Ridge trail. Quite a ways up the trail there's the Orchard trail to the right and that brings you back down across from Millbrook. You can also take Hamilton to the Pioneer Trail. The Pioneer Trail meets up with the Hamilton Trail eventually.

The first part of the hike is beautiful with well maintained trails and scenic views. Lots of waterfalls. DO NOT CONTINUE TO FOLLOW THE PATH ALONG THE DELAWARE!!!! THERE ISN'T ONE!!! THIS QUICKLY TURNED INTO THE HIKE FROM HELL! Very thick brush with fallen trees and steep terrain. You are literally walking sideways on loose rocks and debris. YOU WILL ALSO BE COVERED HEAD TO TOE IN TICKS DUE TO HAVING NO PATH and walking through thick brush (no matter how much bug spray you use). It becomes impassible. There is no loop. You could continue to follow the double orange which is how the hike should be mapped on this app.

Unfortunately there is a power line hanging dangerously close to the trail at 41.067867, -74.97906. I had to hike through the brush to get around it. That turned out to be a waste of time because, contrary to the map provided, the trail comes to an abrupt dead end at 41.068336, -74.97604. I wound up having to double back until I could find a way back to old mine road. This trail needs some major maintenance.

I have been going to Van Campens Glen for several years now and I am disappointed in the direction that it has headed lately. The trail is beautiful and the views are great, but the people that go there have seemed to have taken over, leaving baby diapers and toilet paper all over. I feel as though the park has been neglected and abused, especially on the major holiday weekends. It is a great place to hike and go for a swim in the waterfall, but beware of who may be there

I parked at Millbrook Village and took the Orchard trail to a hunting road. Missed the trail as shown on the map but took Old Mine Road then a deer path to a ravine down to the river. It was difficult for me because the trail was not marked or well maintained.

I found a rock wall and followed it along the river through heavy brush and fallen trees until I met back up with the orange trail.

This met up with another parking area and the yellow trail. Again after a while the blaze got difficult to follow but eventually made my way back to the village.

The yellow trail at Van Campens Glen was the highlight of this hike. I will return here but would not trek through the unmarked sections again unless there is serious trail maintenance done.

Friday, October 28, 2016

I went on a Thursday morning and my friend and I were the only ones there. It's a moderate trail. Really cool geological changes to the rocks from water erosion. I will go back again.

Monday, August 29, 2016

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Monday, August 15, 2016

Do not go on a Sunday. This is an amazing trail with waterfalls and swimming holes but it gets infested with New Yorkers. You will have a much better experience during the week or even a Saturday.

Monday, July 11, 2016