VanCampens Glen

VanCampens Glen is a 1.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Blairstown, New Jersey that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

From Branchville NJ take rt. 206 west. Past Stokes forest office. Make left onto Strubble RD. Follow main paved Rd past Tillmans Ravine. Go straight through intersection. Cemetery on left. Follow Rd through town of Wallpack. Make left onto Old Mine Rd. Then hang left at sharp turn. This is 615. Take to Flatbrookville and make left back onto Old Mine Rd. Take Old Mine Rd to Millbrook and park at small lot.

The first part of the hike is beautiful with well maintained trails and scenic views. Lots of waterfalls. DO NOT CONTINUE TO FOLLOW THE PATH ALONG THE DELAWARE!!!! THERE ISN'T ONE!!! THIS QUICKLY TURNED INTO THE HIKE FROM HELL! Very thick brush with fallen trees and steep terrain. You are literally walking sideways on loose rocks and debris. YOU WILL ALSO BE COVERED HEAD TO TOE IN TICKS DUE TO HAVING NO PATH and walking through thick brush (no matter how much bug spray you use). It becomes impassible. There is no loop. You could continue to follow the double orange which is how the hike should be mapped on this app.

Unfortunately there is a power line hanging dangerously close to the trail at 41.067867, -74.97906. I had to hike through the brush to get around it. That turned out to be a waste of time because, contrary to the map provided, the trail comes to an abrupt dead end at 41.068336, -74.97604. I wound up having to double back until I could find a way back to old mine road. This trail needs some major maintenance.

I have been going to Van Campens Glen for several years now and I am disappointed in the direction that it has headed lately. The trail is beautiful and the views are great, but the people that go there have seemed to have taken over, leaving baby diapers and toilet paper all over. I feel as though the park has been neglected and abused, especially on the major holiday weekends. It is a great place to hike and go for a swim in the waterfall, but beware of who may be there

I parked at Millbrook Village and took the Orchard trail to a hunting road. Missed the trail as shown on the map but took Old Mine Road then a deer path to a ravine down to the river. It was difficult for me because the trail was not marked or well maintained.

I found a rock wall and followed it along the river through heavy brush and fallen trees until I met back up with the orange trail.

This met up with another parking area and the yellow trail. Again after a while the blaze got difficult to follow but eventually made my way back to the village.

The yellow trail at Van Campens Glen was the highlight of this hike. I will return here but would not trek through the unmarked sections again unless there is serious trail maintenance done.

I went on a Thursday morning and my friend and I were the only ones there. It's a moderate trail. Really cool geological changes to the rocks from water erosion. I will go back again.

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Monday, August 15, 2016

Do not go on a Sunday. This is an amazing trail with waterfalls and swimming holes but it gets infested with New Yorkers. You will have a much better experience during the week or even a Saturday.

Monday, July 11, 2016

Saturday, June 11, 2016

Monday, May 23, 2016

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Saturday, April 02, 2016

Monday, March 14, 2016

Tuesday, December 03, 2013

This trail is one of my favorites in NJ . Not because of great views or perfect scenery , but because of all the history and fun that this trail has to offer. If your looking for straight hiking , then this trail is not one for you although the short walk to the waterfall will be well worth your time from the Big Glen parking lot on old mine road. The waterfall has a huge swimming pool around 7 feet deep in the deepest section (depending on rain levels) and the waterfall is around 20 feet deep itself which promotes jumping off the rocks above into the pool. As a kid we would hike this trail barefooted with just towels and our swimsuits and spend the whole day at the waterfall. WARNING : I do not recommend to anyone jumping from the rocks above. My buds and I always take proper precautions to make sure no debris or sharp rocks are within our jump radius . A mistake here will likely cost your life .

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

only do the Van Campens Glen trail which is about 3 miles at most and action packed with waterfalls