Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Turkey Mountain via Red and Yellow Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(266)
Boonton, New Jersey

Turkey Mountain via Red and Yellow Trail is a 5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Boonton, New Jersey that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.0 miles Elevation Gain: 649 feet Route Type: Loop

Note: Users have reported that this area is closed due to COVID-19. Hike over varied terrain to some views and seasonal waterfall Catch the blue blazed Butler-Montville Trail in the northeast corner of the parking lot. The trail soon begins to climb the "100 Steps" section, reaching the top where there are views to the east and west. Bear left (north) on the Red Trail, skirt the summit of Turkey Mtn (a view is just beyond the summit on a large rock outcrop), then bear left (north) on the Yellow Trail. It descends slowly, reaching a road where it crosses a stream and heads back into the woods. It parallels a road for a bit, turns west and crosses a bridge where there is a seasonal waterfall to the right. It passes under power lines, goes through a wet, rocky area, then levels out. From here its a flat, easy walk back to your car. <p> Alternately, from the bridge/waterfall, catch the green trail going west. It climbs gently, passes stone ruins then reaches an outstanding view of Lake Valhalla. At the end of the green trail bear left on the blue trail and right on the yellow and back to your car.

Not many people, but poorly marked at times and very muddy. Also saw quite a few ticks on this trail. The waterfall is pretty but rather small and unimpressive when you get there. Part of the hike involves walking on the street for a few minutes to get back onto the trail... kind of strange. Overall, not a bad way to kill a few hours, but there are better hikes around here.

Good for hiking, flowers watch in spring time

not very well marked- but overall a great trail!

Beautiful trail, hardly saw any people on a Monday. Waterfall was the main sight, not any lookouts along the way. Downsides, several tricky muddy areas to navigate and last mile is along highway tension power lines (going counter clockwise). I’d do this trail again

Cool waterfall but that was about it.

Very muddy, many steep declines and inclines. Light rock climbing, too. This particular hike took us roughly 5 hours to complete.

Pretty intense hike about 2 miles in, water fall isn’t until about 3.2 miles I’m.

closed

Just a heads up that the park is closed. I drove by early this morning hoping to do a solo hike before more people came out, and the parking area and sides of the road are roped off with police tape, and a police officer was there enforcing the closure.

Loved the trail! Can’t wait to do it again. We only had two hours so we took parts of the red and green trails to shorten the hike a little.

I absolutely love this trail!

The best part is the waterfall. Very muddy....certain parts should be covered with bridges.

Hello there, I hiked this trail today with my wife and her sister who are not very fast hikers, and we completed the trail in just under 3 hours. The waterfall was rather forceful today and served as a wonderfully serene location for our snack break. The trail was a bit muddy at some spots, which did slow us down, but we were always able to navigate around the mud without tarnishing the pristine white of my sister in law's sneakers. I noticed there were many off-shoot trails that did not even show up on the map on AllTrails. I'm guessing some of them were blazed recently? Anyway, I'd love to return and explore this trail network more when I can enjoy the sites solo and at my own pace.

Great hike, wear waterproof shoes it’s muddy!

i am new In New jersey , any hiking group ?

Love this trail

Great somewhat rugged hike in NJ. Great views! I recommend it!