Three Mountain Ponds Trail

Three Mountain Ponds Trail is a 5.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Wallpack Center, New Jersey that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 5.3 miles Elevation Gain: 495 feet Route Type: Loop

Really cool trail with a lot of beautiful scenery. It was not as hard as advertised, some light inclines here and there. The pond and lake views were breathtaking, however, I hoped to see more wild life, I was definitely not alone as I heard much rustling in the brush and deep woods, but no sightings.

I hiked with my family and my dog and we did great waters beautiful and my dog did great

This was a great trail for the family well maintained and marked

I’m not sure if I’d rate this trail as moderate as there were few inclines, no scrambles and path was well defined. With that said, we really enjoyed the hike and the surrounding area. Trail wasn’t crowded on a Sunday morning and it was quite peaceful. Recommend this trail for a leisurely hike.

Highly recommend this trail especially if you have a dog. Went on 5/7 during the day and only saw people in the parking lot but not on the trail. Took my 12 year old doggo who loved to take in a dip in every body of water we found plus it was easy enough for him to complete. Saw some bear tracks and other animal droppings near the lake, lots of frogs, and the birds brought the place alive. Very well maintained and marked. Perfect for a trail run as well!

Very nice lakes to hike around. To get to the 3rd lake, Crater Lake, the Orange Trail gets very tight steep and rocky in some parts. Decided to hike to backside of the 2nd lake, Hemlock Pond, definitely saw multiple bear droppings and a raccoon remains on the backside of Helmock Pond. This is bear country, be bear aware! But over all the trail is open and well defined. Some little "bunny hills" but not too bad. Bring bug spray, lots of gnats. The dog did the 7 mile loop with us!

Nice long flat trail! Decent view, at top, of Delaware River valley. Nice lakes. Will be coming back with bikes.

Sunday, September 30, 2018

Great hike. Saw a bear!

Saturday, August 25, 2018

There is a large parking lot at the trailhead but depending on the day this area can get very crowded. These lakes are popular for swimming and fishing. The trails are well maintained and the loop as marked on the map is easy for just about any skill level. Very flat and used by vehicles.

Sunday, July 29, 2018

Nice trail. More peaceful at the lakes furthest from the trailhead. My traveling companions liked swimming in the lake, as did my golden retriever. Not very challenging, a few more gentle rises and descents. Would definitely do this one again.

Sunday, January 28, 2018

This is my favorite hike in NJ. We added on to this hike taking the spur to the right, orange marked trail, to Crater Lake. You can walk all the way around Crater Lake or just go back down. We then looped Hemlock Lake. Nice rocky outcropping at the end of Hemlock for a place to rest. Love the views and not too many people.

Friday, September 29, 2017

Great trail. Hardly anyone there. A good bit of up and down, but not overly strenuous. Dog got to swim in Hemlock Lake! :)

Sunday, August 20, 2017

An easy, wide, mostly gravel trail. I did find the trail markings less than wonderful.

Sunday, June 18, 2017

Beautiful easy hike. Well marked gavel trails for the most part. I also went around hemlock pond which added maybe another mile.

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Great trail, awesome views. Good for beginners, as it is a lighter hike. There is a stream towards the end, and the water is very cold, but it was still fun to swim in. I recommend it to anyone looking for an fun and easy hike.

Thursday, December 19, 2013

Really bear super salty lake up top along trailhead. So salty only 1 fish can survive in it! Freezes in the winter, & if it does that means it's friggin COLD! Lol. Man oh man, learned a few lessons that trip!!! Lol

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Absolutely fantastic trail. When you get to the top, it's one of the most beautiful views in all of NJ. The only problem is there's a tad bit of broken glass here and there but what can you do. So don't walk this one barefoot.

recorded Three Mountain Ponds Trail