Learn more

Terrace Pond [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(108)
Wawayanda State Park

Terrace Pond [CLOSED] is a 4.8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Hewitt, New Jersey that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and cross country skiing and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.8 miles Elevation Gain: 469 feet Route Type: Loop

beach

closed

As of May 2020, this trail is still experiencing full or partial closure due to COVID-19. Please see the open trails nearby for alternate hiking options. from route 23 take clinton rd for 7.5 miles to the parking

Lots Of beautiful ferns of all varieties. There are rhodadendrons and mountain laurels. During June hikers will see the Many mountain laurels in bloom.

We’ll Marked trailHiking boots are a Loved walking through all the different biotope’s from the pine trees to the Rocky Mountains to all the ferns many different sites in environments you go through did see a bear but he stayed away

On 16th of May 2020 the trail still closed for hikers. Parking is closed and entrance to trail is taped. A friendly ranger at the entrance explained that too many people get lost on the trail and the rangers have no capacity to help people due to Covid.

Really awesome trail! My 9 year old sister was able to complete it with us- had to take a few breaks. The elevation gain/drop at one part really made your blood pump & was an accessible challenge! Really awesome views throughout & wildlife. Had to turn around about a little over half way because it was flooded. We started counter clockwise to the lake, had lunch, and headed back!

Great hike!!! And very few people. Did find a purple hiking top - left at start of hike by the sign - in case anyone is looking for a top!

recorded Terrace Pond

icy

This is not a moderate trail. It was very strenuous. Tons of cliff scrambles. I enjoyed it but at times was a little nervous for my safety. The North side is icy and crazy rock climbs. The South side is green and mostly flat. We went counter clockwise. Yellow, red, white and finally blue. The white and blue trail is like being on a scary roller coaster!! Enjoy

flooded

Nice trail. I did not see much trash. Only saw one other person on the trail. Went counter clockwise. The blue blazes were hard to see and had to retrace my steps till I found a blaze.

9.13.19. I went back to complete the loop that we couldn't complete back in April. Glad I did, as it's a stunner, with a little bit of everything. Not too much climbing, but a lot of roots and rocks. Terrace Pond and the swamp are the two great views to be had. After about the first mile and a half, the trail reality diverges a bit from the map recording that All Trails uses, but not by too much. Going clockwise, start on the Blue trail, which then becomes White as you approach Terrace Pond. When it becomes Yellow, stay on it until you're back at the lot. Here are my stats for the outing: Distance: 5.1 miles Elevation Gain: 466 feet Moving Time: 1:59:02

We love this trail! Finally got to take our son...our 7 year old did amazing!! Great climb, wonderful views, and the Terrace pond at top breathtaking!

It was a great hike. Most people were turning around bc the rangers were up there making sure no one jumped off. Had many different terrains which I always like. Got stuck in some mud, saw a rattlesnake and two bears walked right by me....

Absolutely love this trail and the pond is defiantly refreshing. Watch out for the snapper turtles. Never bother but cool too see. The trial can get a little crazy in summer, and would love to see people leave it the way they found it. But the trail itself is amazing and I did it 5 times last summer alone.

Mon Apr 01 2019

4.1.19. Lovely hike. We followed, clockwise, the blue, white and then yellow trails. Terrace Pond was gorgeous and thankfully not, as some have seen below, spoiled by trash. (I suspect that’s a summer problem.) We had to cut short the full hike, so we bushwhacked across to the return leg of the yellow trail to cut out about 1.3 miles. Not recommended, but we made it! Some parts of the Blue and White Trails are pretty rocky, so think twice if you have small kids (or small dogs).

Sat Feb 09 2019

Came here this week. Followed the blue-white-red-yellow trail and enjoyed the hike immensely. did not notice garbage, but the lake was frozen.

Tue Dec 25 2018

I have never seen so much trash on a hike before. I really hope they shut this place down do to what people have done to it, it's so sad given it's such a beautiful pond. People who litter should be made to clean it up.

Sat Sep 29 2018

we took north trail at the fork and could get only to a location where the trail gets lowest and closest to the lake. after weeks of raining many parts of trail were flooded but stepping stones helped lot until the spot where the trail was impassable. we had to return after merely 1.6 mile :( As we were getting closer to the lake we could notice more trash ( as described by other hikers. The lake is full of floaties, pool noodles etc etc. Along the trail we saw plastic bags full of "party trash" like plastic cups or plates. And yes, clothes, shoes, towels were not the unusual view. Besides all these additions, the trail itself is great and steep.

Mon Aug 06 2018

Long hike- prepare for about 45 minutes with a real rough terrain. Well worth it once you get to the top!

Sun May 27 2018

Nice hike with uneven terrain but a great hike

Mon Oct 23 2017

I hiked this trail two times this summer. Once in early June which was easily 5 stars, and once in late August, which was 1 star. Over the course of the summer the kids destroy this trail. Very sad actually. You can party and be stupid, and still respect nature. 5 stars for the trail, Negative a million for Humanity :/

Tue Sep 12 2017

The dirtiest most disgusting trail I've ever seen in my entire life!!! Local people just can't keep this place clean!!!!