Terrace Pond

Terrace Pond is a 4.8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Hewitt, New Jersey that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and cross country skiing and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

from route 23 take clinton rd for 7.5 miles to the parking

I hiked this trail two times this summer. Once in early June which was easily 5 stars, and once in late August, which was 1 star. Over the course of the summer the kids destroy this trail. Very sad actually. You can party and be stupid, and still respect nature.

5 stars for the trail, Negative a million for Humanity :/

The dirtiest most disgusting trail I've ever seen in my entire life!!! Local people just can't keep this place clean!!!!

Great hike and views. Just wish people would clean up after themselves.

Pond was refreshing - keep an eye out for snakes

Boardwalks over wet areas need better maintenance since the wet summer created quite a bit of muckiness. Trails are well marked and rocky with some strenuous climbing. Exquisite views of the skyline and the pond from rocky outlooks. People need to haul out their trash!!

The trail has been trashed by kids that go up to party and go cliff jumping. There's broken glass all over the place, old clothes lying around, and the smell of old cheap beer is everywhere at the top. Don't get me wrong I love to party and have a good time but if you hike for the soul purpose to enjoy the beauty of nature then you will not have a good time on this trail. It felt like I was at a water park full of people who have no respect for nature. This place needs to be cleaned up! Here's two stars for the exercise I got.

Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Hiked to Terrace Pond from Stephen's Road off of Union Valley. The way we did it too we were able to hike around the entire lake as well. Such a nice relaxing place and even got to go cliff jumping which is always fun.

Friday, November 04, 2016

Very beautiful hike. Brought my dog, who is relatively experienced when it comes to climbing the rocks but this trail had some very difficult parts for even us to get up. We had to find an alternate route at one point to get back on the trail because it was dangerous to try to get my pup up the incline. There was also a ton of broken glass, which also worried me (We were on the blue trail FYI). Other than that, the trails were clearly marked. And the views were gorgeous.

Friday, August 19, 2016

Overall a nice hike. Not too difficult, but definitely not easy. I've done this hike a few times a year for 10 years and the one problem I have is that its getting way too crowded. I love jumping into terrace pond, but now it just seems like there are too many people up there to hang out and get in the way. time to find a new cliff jumping spot.

Sunday, August 07, 2016

Awesome time there! Cliff jumped and hung out at the cliff!

Friday, July 15, 2016

Great hike. Would definitely recommend it. Once you get to the top,where the pond is at, some cliff jumping is a must. Water felt great even on a nice cool day.

Sunday, May 15, 2016

I've been hiking this trail for years. it definitely is a loop if you follow the markers properly. you go off the blue onto white and red for a bit by the lake. if you want to make the hike shorter start another half mile up at the pipe line and you'll cut out about 20 minutes of walking which is nice when you're short on time since the beginning is the easiest part anyway.

Saturday, April 30, 2016

An absolutely perfect hiking trail... Its a tough as can be hike with beautiful scenery and a perfectly places lake right on top of the mountain... Its one hell of a workout...

Saturday, April 16, 2016

A perfect moderate hike with good inclines...not a complete circle though we had to back track from where we came

Saturday, August 08, 2015

Great trail with lots of different terrain. We took the yellow to red to white to blue trail which is longer than the direct trail to the lake. It was approx 5.5 mile hike. Lots of mosquitos in the beginning so bring repellent. The lake was very busy - lots of swimmers in the water- and 2 large curious snappers swimming around.

Saturday, August 30, 2014

I completed this hike 40 years ago and perhaps 40 times since. In my early days the property belonged to a quarry company. Now it is part of a NJ State Park. Nothing has changed though, except that overnight camping is not allowed and violators get summonsed by Park Rangers. Also swimming is not permitted, but it is impossible to keep swimmers out of this "cliff-diving mecca". A Ranger will order everyone out of the water and inform them of the law before he/she leaves, and then it is up to individual impulses and the "band wagon" effect. The State of New Jersey is not liable for injuries incurred by the foolish, so personal responsibility is paramount. The trail has been adequately described by others posting here. I will reiterate, bring bug spray and use it. Ticks do exist in brushy areas, so DEET spray around the lower legs and ankles is advisable. At the same time, the main trails to this "mecca" are heavily used, so brush tends to stay minimal to moderate. This is a great moderate hike for the healthy year-round, but when slippery from rain, leaves, or (in winter) ice, it can be dangerous. Good footwear is a must. Bruises and abrasions are not uncommon on the steeper trail areas which the elderly know to avoid (but others prefer). Take care and enjoy yourselves. Most visitors have been on this hike several times or more, so feel free to ask for information from fellow hikers. Most are friendly and happy to help. There are some small water creatures in this glacial pond in addition to humans from time to time, but there are NO FISH, so leave the pole at home. The large snapping turtles help keep the pond clean and shy away from people without picnic food. They are the largest permitted life forms in the water.

Monday, July 30, 2012

As a fellow west milforder I hit up this hike at least twice a week. Great view, break a nice sweat & have the ultimate payoff of cliff jumping into the pond. Everyone is friendly & the water is so refreshing.

Monday, July 23, 2012

We headed right at the trailhead off Clinton Road, opting to take the yellow trail around and get to the lake later. We hooked up with the white and later, blue trail to complete the loop. Even though we followed the map All Trails has for this hike our track said we went about 5 miles, not 3.

First things first, wear bug spray, sturdy shoes, and you might get muddy. There were a lot of different elements to this hike. The trail starts narrow through dense Rhododendron forest, it gets wider and grassy as you approach Beacon Hill Lake, which is a wetland lake. The Pepperbush was blooming and attracting lots of bees and butterflies. As you continue between Beacon Hill Lake & Terrace Pond you have the option to split off to the yellow on white blazed trail. (I said it looked like fried eggs.) It does reconnect, but we stayed on the yellow. This part of the trail becomes a little scrambley getting you higher on the ridge with additional ups and downs before you reach Terrace Pond. Until this point we had only seen one other couple.

Most people go straight to the lake. Its popularity is obvious, there's a TON of broken glass on the trail. So you'll want to be careful navigating the rocky climbs you'll encounter on the blue trail. Like another reviewer said, these aren't difficult for anyone in reasonable shape. It was also pretty muddy. But there were enough rocks and logs laid down that nothing was impassable. The final part of the trail back to the car was a nice pine forest. The variety, seclusion and challenge made this one of our favorite hikes to date.

Saturday, September 24, 2011

I wasn't much a fan of the straight uphill approach in the beginning (straight upwards, boring, loose rocks, obviously close to civilization). When the trail finally went into the woods, it had a bunch of little up-and-down scrambles without crazy changes in elevation. They were not physically demanding but challenging skill-wise, those were fun. The lack of a number of clear views was a bit of a disappointment. Terrace Pond is a nice place to relax for a picnic. Way too many people on this trail (might've seen 30 between the trail and the pond itself), but that's to be expected considering the relative ease of the actual trail (after the initial uphill approach) and the attraction of the pond. Worth a try at least once to see Terrace Pond.

Monday, August 01, 2011

Clear Sunday for this hike with about 7 people besides myself. The trail was fairly manageable but some of the more inexperienced to physical activity required several breaks on the way up. Definitely not difficult. There are some minor scrambles but nothing too tough for those who are in reasonable shape. At the end, of course, is the lake. There were over a dozen other hikers swimming, cliff diving, and picnicing aside from us, many of whom we had seen on the trail. The descent went far more quickly. Great trail for summer given the lake at the end. Not as great of views compared to some other trails in the area, though.